Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abnormal consumption Model S P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone!

After an investigation from Tesla, it turns out that everything is normal with my car!

The issue is the fact that I'm making mainly short trips (average ~13km), so the battery doesn't have enough time to warm up, and the energy consumption is up the sky.

I'll have to do some tests and schedule a charge just before I'm using the car (so the battery will be warm already) and I'll monitor the energy consumption closely and see if any difference.

To be honest, if I knew that before buying the car, I'd have taken the long-range one... I'm a bit disappointed here...

Please let me know if you think this explanation isn't right (if you make only short trips as well, with a better range than me on a similar model). On average I'm doing only 150km from 90% to 10% with an average of 250wh/km.

I'll keep you guys posted, thanks for your help!

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
Hi Everyone!

After an investigation from Tesla, it turns out that everything is normal with my car!

The issue is the fact that I'm making mainly short trips (average ~13km), so the battery doesn't have enough time to warm up, and the energy consumption is up the sky.

I'll have to do some tests and schedule a charge just before I'm using the car (so the battery will be warm already) and I'll monitor the energy consumption closely and see if any difference.

To be honest, if I knew that before buying the car, I'd have taken the long-range one... I'm a bit disappointed here...

Please let me know if you think this explanation isn't right (if you make only short trips as well, with a better range than me on a similar model). On average I'm doing only 150km from 90% to 10% with an average of 250wh/km.

That's a good explanation, also add in that the aircon has a bigger average power draw on short trips plus the tyres don't get time to warm up on short trips.

Hi Everyone!

That would be it if you are only making short trips. If you look at the consumption whenever starting out it is always very high for the first few k's then drops back quickly.
If you are making a long trip, the high initial numbers are insignificant to the total. I would imagine that if you preheat the batteries the consumption will still be there regardless of whether you preheat or not.
A performance model will always consume more than a non-performance. In the older S it would be the dual motor non performance. It's just like a 6 cylinder v an 8 cylinder ICE. The faster and quicker it potentially goes, the more fuel you use. Also batteries only have a finite amount of charging cycles. The more you charge, the less cycles you have left and the total range degrades as the number of cycles increase. A P85D is already up around 5 years old so would have lost around 8-10% of the initial driving range.

Hi Everyone!

150km of range from 90% to 10% at 250Wh/km doesn’t sound right at all as it implies about 46kw/h of usable battery capacity only