Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abnormally high fogging on inside of glass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fossil cars run the AC to dehumidify the air when defrost is selected. You will see a small puddle on the floor where the AC evaporator drains the condensate. Sometimes the drain gets plugged and carpets get wet increasing interior humidity. I'm wondering if Tesla doesn't run AC in defrost mode to save power? Can't open the hood and see if the compressor is turning on a Tesla. Does anyone know if the defrost is linked with AC operation?

Also if you have snow and slush and your floor mats are left wet it will evaporate and condense on your Windows, when you get home take the floor mat out and shake it off if possible.
Sitting in the car while charging will do it, too. You have to crack the windows and keep air intake going while charging or it'll get everything inside soggy and you'll spend the first several minutes of your drive using battery to dry the interior out. If it is also raining outside then you need to have the A/C drying out that intake air. :(

i can confirm having a foggy cabin, but only when it was cold out and I was "toughing it out" by keeping HVAC off. With HVAC on auto, I've never had any fogging issues. Auto runs the A/C compressor to dehumidify the cabin. If I have a foggy cabin, running the A/C clears all the fog in less than 1 minute.

i can confirm having a foggy cabin, but only when it was cold out and I was "toughing it out" by keeping HVAC off. With HVAC on auto, I've never had any fogging issues. Auto runs the A/C compressor to dehumidify the cabin. If I have a foggy cabin, running the A/C clears all the fog in less than 1 minute.
The fogging in my car is a terrible problem. The worse part, however, is that overnight the moisture on the windows freeze and I have 1 to 2 mm of frozen ice on the inside of the car. it takes quite a while of running the heater and defroster to melt and clear the windows, often 15 to 20 minutes. A real pain, and sucks a lot of battery.

Fossil cars run the AC to dehumidify the air when defrost is selected. You will see a small puddle on the floor where the AC evaporator drains the condensate. Sometimes the drain gets plugged and carpets get wet increasing interior humidity. I'm wondering if Tesla doesn't run AC in defrost mode to save power? Can't open the hood and see if the compressor is turning on a Tesla. Does anyone know if the defrost is linked with AC operation?
You can see that A/C is run in defrost mode by tuning in on then switching to manual control, the A/C button is selected. As well the blue front "defrost" is primarily A/C. It is the red one that cranks the heat, along with A/C.

The fogging in my car is a terrible problem. The worse part, however, is that overnight the moisture on the windows freeze and I have 1 to 2 mm of frozen ice on the inside of the car. it takes quite a while of running the heater and defroster to melt and clear the windows, often 15 to 20 minutes. A real pain, and sucks a lot of battery.

wow. that seems abnormal. I'd check in with a service center. Have you ever used the A/C in the summer? I took delivery in cold weather, so I didn't notice until months later when it got hot, but my A/C didn't work. If your A/C is in the same boat, it could explain why you aren't getting any dehumidification when running the HVAC on auto.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
The defrost does the job. The problem is that when the car sits overnight in temps below around 25, the moisture build up freezes on the windows. Once cleared through warming the car, running the defrost while driving will keep the windows clear.

wow. that seems abnormal. I'd check in with a service center. Have you ever used the A/C in the summer? I took delivery in cold weather, so I didn't notice until months later when it got hot, but my A/C didn't work. If your A/C is in the same boat, it could explain why you aren't getting any dehumidification when running the HVAC on auto.
Agreed. Potentially aggravated with wet floors or something.

Another possibility is the drain hole under the A/C coils clogging. Some people have reported that they get a musty smell at times because of moisture build-up in that area causing mold. So if that drain clogged that would leave a water reservoir in there which obviously has an air connection with the interior, and that could lead to lots of moisture in the cabin overnight.