Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

? about Chargepoint at SFO Long Term Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking a trip soon and will be leaving my Model 3 at SFO long term parking. had a question about using the free Chargepoint chargers (I've never used Chargepoint before, and I've always just charged at home). After I login with the chargepoint app and plug in the car, does it essentially charge like you would at home?

For instance if I typically schedule charges at night, does that work with Chargepoint, or should I leave it set to charge at any time?

Once the car is done charging, but then drains a few percent will Chargepoint start charging again?

Scheduled charging is location dependent, so it should start charging the moment you plug it in. I don’t know if it will “top off” properly or not. Your session with charge point may time out after a while.

Scheduled charging is location dependent, so it should start charging the moment you plug it in. I don’t know if it will “top off” properly or not. Your session with charge point may time out after a while.
I meant the parking rates at SFO long term.

Park SFO could work out better with their coupons, 1 day off 3, 2 days off 5, 3 days off 7 and 4 days off 9.
Coupons | Park SFO

Oh, sorry misread it. Don't know what their rates are. My work would be paying for parking on this trip so I'm not looking to park on outside lots.

I meant the parking rates at SFO long term.

Park SFO could work out better with their coupons, 1 day off 3, 2 days off 5, 3 days off 7 and 4 days off 9.
Coupons | Park SFO

Oddly enough I was just looking at the SFO long-term parking rates today, and it's dropping from $25/day to $18/day starting May 1. They say it's because they opened a new parking structure and want to increase usage. I suspect it because more folks are using ride-sharing to/from the airport for longer trips - at least that's been the case for me for anything longer than a two-day trip, for a few years now....

Oddly enough I was just looking at the SFO long-term parking rates today, and it's dropping from $25/day to $18/day starting May 1. They say it's because they opened a new parking structure and want to increase usage. I suspect it because more folks are using ride-sharing to/from the airport for longer trips - at least that's been the case for me for anything longer than a two-day trip, for a few years now....

They are matching ParkSFOs rate with the coupons. And ParkSFO is indoor and has staffing and will do valet and charging. Competition is good.

I'm taking a trip soon and will be leaving my Model 3 at SFO long term parking. had a question about using the free Chargepoint chargers (I've never used Chargepoint before, and I've always just charged at home). After I login with the chargepoint app and plug in the car, does it essentially charge like you would at home?

For instance if I typically schedule charges at night, does that work with Chargepoint, or should I leave it set to charge at any time?

Once the car is done charging, but then drains a few percent will Chargepoint start charging again?

All of that can be managed thru the ChargePoint app or the Tesla app? Just leave it set to your desired level no need to schedule. Once it drops below it should start automatically and if it doesn’t just start it remotely with your app before you get on your return flight.

I am still confused by this. So we are saying that the 8 charge spaces at my airport are INTENDED to have cars left plugged into them while the owner is on a flight somewhere. Assumably this would be trips that are fairly long or why would you need to be plugged in, so your car doesn't run out of charge sitting at the airport. So say, a two-week trip, I leave my car plugged in and on the flight back I tell the car to top up so I can drive home when I get there.

Crazy, I was thinking they put those chargers there so that when you get to the airport you go move your car to the charger if needed, while you wait for your luggage allowing you to top up for the trip home. But if those two-week trip people will block the chargers, then only 208 cars can charge in the course of a year. Seems like ChargePoint wouldn't want that little traffic on their chargers, hard to even pay for the upkeep at that rate.

-Randy

Last edited:
I am still confused by this. So we are saying that the 8 charge spaces at my airport are INTENDED to have cars left plugged into them while the owner is on a flight somewhere. Assumably this would be trips that are fairly long or why would you need to be plugged in, so your car doesn't run out of charge sitting at the airport. So say, a two-week trip, I leave my car plugged in and on the flight back I tell the car to top up so I can drive home when I get there.

Crazy, I was thinking they put those chargers there so that when you get to the airport you go move your car to the charger if needed, while you wait for your luggage allowing you to top up for the trip home. But if those two-week trip people will block the chargers, then only 208 cars can charge in the course of a year. Seems like ChargePoint wouldn't want that little traffic on their chargers, hard to even pay for the upkeep at that rate.

-Randy

I agree that it’s not a good use of chargers but didn’t he say they are free? At that point the airport would encourage this use to lessen the electricity they give away for free.

I think airports in general haven't realized the actual need is for slow maintenance charging, i.e. 15A 120V outlets. Chargepoint ticks the "EV charging available here" box, but L2 charging seems like overkill for the long-term parking use case. Unfortunately, it's also too slow for the "go charge up while you wait for your luggage" scenario. Nobody wants to ride all the way out to long-term on the slim chance one of the spots might be available, move their car, then come all the way back to collect their luggage, and then make the same trip back again to wait a few hours for enough charge to get back home.

Agreed. And our ChargePoints are NOT free. If I could afford to play I would park and charge there, but paying for both is actually a little bit more than charging at home, so no thanks. But it would be interesting to see what ChargePoint says when you are plugged in for more than just the time it takes to charge.

-Randy

If I choose to use short term parking at SFO for a trip of a few (less than 7) day trip at SFO, I park in a space to the left or right of the last ChargePoint slot. I plug in and charge, and leave a hang tag (from the Evannex folks) indicating that I can be UNplugged at a particular time. the tag also has my Google Voice number for questions. So I can charge, not block the 'true' charger parking slot, and remain a good citizen. I wish that there were a few 120V outlets in short term parking, but I have not found them yet.

E1A49875-80AA-4972-8780-65E7C5E2E5FD.png
I’ve recently traveled, plugged in on the lower long term parking level. The entire LTP ChargePoint network is on “reduced power” delivering a whopping 0.5 kW. I was plugged in for 5 days, no charge. Had to stop in Daly City after I got home to charge. I have an email out to the SFO parking people to inquire. If you are traveling soon, check thee ChargePoint site first to see if they are back up.

SFO long-term parking is chock-full of 110V charging spots, like a dozen spots right in front of the elevators on each floor. The chargepoint chargers should just be used to top-up if necessary.
This is good to know, but... does SFO actually intend these for long-term use by EVs? I recall reading a post here within the past week where someone got ticketed at Logan (Boston) for plugging into a standard outlet because it wasn't explicitly marked for use by EVs.

Edit: and the answer is right there on the website that @Eno Deb linked above:
Each stall is located at a close-in parking location and includes access to Level 1 charging (110 V standard outlet) or Level 2 charging (240 V). NOTE: You must supply your own connection cable for Level 1 charging.