Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About how much would a new paint job cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m trying to decide whether it is worth it or not to wrap my car with ppf. The cheapest quote I’ve got for a full ppf wrap is $4900, with most being $5500-6500. The the estimated lifespan of ppf appears to be about 10 years. Considering this, I am wondering if a ppf wrap might actually be more expensive than a new paint job.

About how much with a good quality paint job run? Not custom paint, just the original factory color.

Worse case scenario the PPF can be replaced after 10 years - if you still have the car. Repaint I would never suggest unless you pay top dollar to have a higher than original quality job. Then, you would still want to protect it with film since you'd have great paint. A great paint job is easily north of 5K for the proper way. (trim and glass removal, etc..)

In my years of experience with Xpel and STEK films they have been great. I drive ~20K miles per year and they hold up well to whatever US roads throw dish out. I have never had to replace film that is years old but that only applies to Xpel. Have not had STEK long enough.

• Informative
Reactions: Zorak03
I’m trying to decide whether it is worth it or not to wrap my car with ppf. The cheapest quote I’ve got for a full ppf wrap is $4900, with most being $5500-6500. The the estimated lifespan of ppf appears to be about 10 years. Considering this, I am wondering if a ppf wrap might actually be more expensive than a new paint job.

About how much with a good quality paint job run? Not custom paint, just the original factory color.

A LOT. If you go with the factory paint color, you don't generally need to worry about jambs, "engine" bay, etc. But for quality work and paint you are still looking at $5K+ for sure. More important though, repainting your vehicle generally harms resale and your downstream market, assuming you will ever sell your car. Not only does it create a lot of question/concern about your car's history, it could lead to other issues that are a PITA to deal with (e.g. overspray, fisheyes, etc.)

I have a hard time justifying $5000+ on full PPF for this car. hat said, I did spend $1500 and had the front half done.

If protecting the paint is worth the expense TO YOU, spend the $. Everyone here gets to spend their hard earned $$ the way they see fit. Just realize that you are unlikely to see any of it back when it comes to resale, so make sure you get your enjoyment out of it.

Just wrap the high impact parts. Front bumper, lights, hood, rocker panels. Likely you won’t even have the car in 10 years and like mentioned it will do nothing for resale. After doing it once I no longer see the value. I got two sizable dents even with PPF and to repair them would require removing PPF, fixing dent, and reapplying PPF. When I sold the car, the dealer didn’t even care about the dents or that it had PPF. If you’re selling some collector car to some finicky private party it might be worth it but in general it’s not.
The amount of wrap fanaticism here is pretty impressive. Y’all must have extra TSLA shares to spare or something.

5500-6500 for install.... Then you are looking to have it removed that's probably going to run you another 1,000-2000.. Guesstimate... New paint job will run you 5-10k.. Just remember if you go with paint.... Like I plan on doing you can get dent's repaired at the same time and any other rock chips ect. Some people also avoid wrapped vehicles when you look to resell it.