Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About Teslas in the Hawaiian islands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m thinking about moving to Hawaii, but not Oahu where the only service center is to my knowledge. What do folks do that live on the other islands when you need service. Do you have to take a ferry over? About how much does it cost?

Did any of you ship your Tesla from the mainland when you moved there if you already owned one then? About how much did it cost?

More specifically, I’m thinking about Maui. I’d really appreciate any information you might want to share about owning a Tesla in Hawaii.

I’m thinking about moving to Hawaii, but not Oahu where the only service center is to my knowledge. What do folks do that live on the other islands when you need service. Do you have to take a ferry over? About how much does it cost?

Did any of you ship your Tesla from the mainland when you moved there if you already owned one then? About how much did it cost?

More specifically, I’m thinking about Maui. I’d really appreciate any information you might want to share about owning a Tesla in Hawaii.

Hmm, you can't move to Oahu without moving to Hawaii. Think about it. That will make sense. You can move to Hawaii - the Big Island without moving to Oahu though.

Technically, its not a ferry. We can't simply board and float. Cars, trucks, and cargo are moved via barge, but no passengers. Maui has a couple of Mobile Service Techs that live there. Rumor is Maui will get a Service Center. Big Island has access to a Mobile Service Tech too. I don't know, - someone will jump in, if the Mobile Service Tech lives on B.I. But even if dispatched out of Oahu, can perform service. Repairs beyond scope of Mobile Service are shipped back to Oahu. Of course depends on if Mobile Service can't do.

Hmm, you can't move to Oahu without moving to Hawaii. Think about it. That will make sense. You can move to Hawaii - the Big Island without moving to Oahu though.

Technically, its not a ferry. We can't simply board and float. Cars, trucks, and cargo are moved via barge, but no passengers. Maui has a couple of Mobile Service Techs that live there. Rumor is Maui will get a Service Center. Big Island has access to a Mobile Service Tech too. I don't know, - someone will jump in, if the Mobile Service Tech lives on B.I. But even if dispatched out of Oahu, can perform service. Repairs beyond scope of Mobile Service are shipped back to Oahu. Of course depends on if Mobile Service can't do.
I don’t really understand the word play. I said I’m interested in moving to Hawaii (as in the state). Since the state is made up of several islands, I was saying that rather than the island of Oahu, I was interested in Maui.

It’s good that they have mobile tech, but beyond what a mobile tech can do, doesn’t any repair become very expensive when you add the cost of shipping?

It’s surprising that there isn’t more ferry service between the islands. Maybe most people just want to stay put where they are. I read about a ferry company that went bankrupt because of environmental studies, but you would think if the business was there that someone else would have tried.

So is there boat service between the islands? Some people don’t like to fly. Is there very little travel between the islands?

Kailua-Kona and Honolulu are about 175 miles apart. Kahului to Honolulu, about 100 miles because you have to go around stuff. That's a lot of boat ride at the 15-20 knots your typical ferry does (on a good day) - when I think of ferries I think of things like crossing a bay where there is no bridge (New England) or the Channel (21 miles!) - not liknig flying is usually overcome easily by cutting time in transit by 7/8ths. Combine that with a pretty small, dispersed population (Oahu's is around half the size of Kansas City's metro in population), and 45-minute, $100 flights between islands, and I don't think there's any mystery why there's not much traditional roro ferry service

Sounds like what the islander up there said, summed up, is, if you own a tesla, you gotta slow down and be patient, man. Which if you move to Hawaii, you gotta do anyway heh

Last edited:
I live on Maui. I shipped my Model 3 here. I used Matson for the shipping and was very pleased with the service. Check their web site for prices. There are different levels of service, and it depends on where you ship from. From Florida you'd have to get your car to the west coast. There are car transport companies that will do that too. Lots of options. Closed container or out in the open, etc. From Spokane I drove my car to Seattle. I think the car shipping from Seattle was around $1,500 for premium service. Don't remember for sure.

I've been told there's a Tesla Ranger (do they still call them that?) here on Maui. I've never had occasion to need service since coming here. <knock on wood!> I imagine that Tesla would pay shipping for warranty repairs, not for out-of-warranty repairs, if shipping to Oahu were needed. I think it's between $200 and $300 to ship a car between Maui and Oahu.

I'm not aware of ferry service between the islands. Except Maui to Lana'i. The distances are too great. Hawaiian Airlines (and maybe others?) offer inter-island flights. Not sure if this will work: Hopefully this link will open a page to Google Earth showing Maui, Oahu, and surrounding islands. In addition to the distance, the channels between Maui and Moloka'i and between Moloka'i and Oahu are extremely rough. It would not be a happy ferry ride.

Not related to Tesla but something to be aware of: Maui does not have the same level of medical service as you generally have on the mainland. Complicated procedures might require going (or being airlifted) to Oahu. Also note that everything is a lot more expensive here, since it all has to be shipped 2,500 miles. If you enjoy paddling it's paradise. There are several outrigger canoe clubs, and a lot of people use paddle boards, kayaks, and one- and two-man outrigger canoes. A few people paddle surf skis. Of course there are also all sorts of other water activities, but what's the point if you're not paddling? :D ;)