Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About that Model Y (official name) teaser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_4260.jpg
Tesla teased their first photo of the Model Y!
From what I've got from it was no side view mirrors, seems to have a nose like the 3 and it's labeled the Model Y as its official name.

View attachment 230116 Tesla teased their first photo of the Model Y!
From what I've got from it was no side view mirrors, seems to have a nose like the 3 and it's labeled the Model Y as its official name.

If the NHTSA ever adjusts the laws to allow it, AP2 hardware is already perfectly set up to replace mirrors with cameras (although the current rear/side cameras aren't full color.)

I am by nature a very conservative fellow .... that said, I would feel more comforted that Tesla has sustainability if they would get the M3 in production, perfected, and establish a high customer loyalty .... and turn a profit .... before talking up a truck and a Y.

I read the Y will need to be produced on a different assembly line ... and the M3 plant is not yet operational. That sounds like a tremendous outlay of capitol to get another assembly line operational. I know very little about E. Musk, but is he a man that is bored to death? Reading the post of this forum suggest the S still has some issues that are worthy of attention; the M3 is not even out yet, and will undoubtedly have issue in need of attention ... and now we are talking about a truck and a Y. I don't get it.

I wonder if it is a 'shell game?' There have been allegations about moving money from the automobile interest to pay off solar commitments and earn interest. Is Musk now going to raise capitol with a Y project to pay losses on the S and the 3? From what I understand ... he has not yet made a profit making automobiles. Many a car company has been created only to collapse shortly thereafter.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdub and mmd
The faithful always assume that there is another rabbit left in the hat.

Somehow things move forward in spite of what seems like the end of the road. I don't know how they do it, but I have enough faith to have a deposit down on a vehicle yet to be built.

card-house.png

About that "official name". Don't be surprised if Model Y actually ends up with a different designation.

From Q2 2017 Earnings call transcript:

Elon Musk: "No, that's one of the things that we would include. We would aim to switch out the wiring models for (inaudible) the wiring models for a redundant flex circuit that's more in the order of 100 meters or so. But -- and then we'd -- obviously, we'd aim to do that both for the Y, if it's called the Y, and the 3 as well."

Reactions: GoTslaGo
About that "official name". Don't be surprised if Model Y actually ends up with a different designation.

From Q2 2017 Earnings call transcript:

Elon Musk: "No, that's one of the things that we would include. We would aim to switch out the wiring models for (inaudible) the wiring models for a redundant flex circuit that's more in the order of 100 meters or so. But -- and then we'd -- obviously, we'd aim to do that both for the Y, if it's called the Y, and the 3 as well."

Maybe the Model 4? It would follow the Model 3 (Get it...). Also if you write the number 4 with the top open, it looks like a Y. ;)