Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About that "yoke" steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me ask you this, if you went over to Australia, South Africa, England and rented a car, how long do you think it would take to break a lifelong habit of driving from the left seat? I travel a lot and it normally takes me upwards of ten minutes and in those Countries it’s normally a manual stick. My guess is after an hour you will forget the wheel is different.
You may be better than most at breaking muscle memory habits. I traveled from Germany to UK many years ago when I was younger and, presumably, quicker to learn new habits. It took several days before I could break myself of the habit of pulling out of a car park into the right lane or of looking left for oncoming traffic at a stop sign. My kids were forever shouting from the back seat, "Left lane, left lane!"

You may be better than most at breaking muscle memory habits. I traveled from Germany to UK many years ago when I was younger and, presumably, quicker to learn new habits. It took several days before I could break myself of the habit of pulling out of a car park into the right lane or of looking left for oncoming traffic at a stop sign. My kids were forever shouting from the back seat, "Left lane, left lane!"
The worst part is when it's late at night, you're tired and you revert to how you've always done it all your life. Consequences can be deadly.

Reactions: David29
‘I think it will work exactly as in the videos, and be good enough to sell well.
Might be the case - too bad, if you ask me, as it's some kind of weird. And, working like that, in deed ... strange, as people WILL grip where nothing is.

As stated above, I'm not sure, neither way. I won't place bets on how it works. I just wanted to point out that nobody knows and we'll all have to wait.

It sounds like for some people they cannot learn this wheel or think it is too funky to look at driving. That is fine - do not get the car - it is not right for you. But to lump in everyone as not capable of learning a new device is not right either. Every device will have pros and cons. We have not even seen this yet and it is being totally written off by some. It may prove out to be a terrible idea but I am betting that it will be great - so much so that I have a S and X coming with it.

I am awaiting a delivery of a model s. I took a good look at the photos of the yoke system. My wife has a car with new tight turning, I have a 8 year old car with no sport to the steaming at all and a 15 year old truck. It doesn’t seem the yoke is much wider than a conventional steering wheel though the basis of that is pictures. With this in mind I spent a few days trying to drive all three vehicles with my hands as close to the yoke as possible. No specifics on yoke for full lock left to full lock right is understood. Dynamic steering no idea on that one. Based on my little test the only turn that was a little uncomfortable was the full 90 degree turn. The 90 degree turn though is usually at very slow speed. I found releasing one hand and placing that hand on the horizontal steering support like the yoke has was comfortable. I look forward to trying the yoke. As with Tesla it’s something new and it may take me some time I think I will like it. Again, this is just my $0.02 for what it’s worth. Never owned a Tesla before and have been working at this for little over 3 years to be able to order. The yoke definitely didn’t diminish the excitement of actually owning a Tesla. I’m all in no matter what!

It sounds like for some people they cannot learn this wheel or think it is too funky to look at driving. That is fine - do not get the car - it is not right for you. But to lump in everyone as not capable of learning a new device is not right either. Every device will have pros and cons. We have not even seen this yet and it is being totally written off by some. It may prove out to be a terrible idea but I am betting that it will be great - so much so that I have a S and X coming with it.
The other side of this coin is people who get hurt because someone using the yoke was not as capable of learning new things as required. Is Tesla going to perform a test on all potential drivers to see whether or not they are capable enough to be safe? Or are they planning to just let it loose on the world and blame the drivers for everything?

Btw, personally I plan to test drive a Plaid Model S, providing there is one available to test drive in order to give it the benefit of doubt. I don't have high hopes for it at all, but would like to experience it first hand. Who knows, perhaps I like it and Tesla gives me a written same or better loaner guarantee (while in service or waiting for parts), as Elon seems to claim people get but only on social media, then I would buy one on the spot.

The other side of this coin is people who get hurt because someone using the yoke was not as capable of learning new things as required. Is Tesla going to perform a test on all potential drivers to see whether or not they are capable enough to be safe? Or are they planning to just let it loose on the world and blame the drivers for everything?

Btw, personally I plan to test drive a Plaid Model S, providing there is one available to test drive in order to give it the benefit of doubt. I don't have high hopes for it at all, but would like to experience it first hand. Who knows, perhaps I like it and Tesla gives me a written same or better loaner guarantee (while in service or waiting for parts), as Elon seems to claim people get but only on social media, then I would buy one on the spot.

Yes, they are going to test each owner with the yoke. They are still back logged on testing whether they can use the brake pedal, turn signals, and cup holders. Unleashing 1100hp is more dangerous than the yoke but nobody seems to be going on about "speed kills".

For those who don't want to check the other sites:
tesla-model-s-refresh-interior.jpg

Reactions: SmartElectric
did you turn that yoke two revolutions?

I like the yoke, but it doesn’t seem the same as in airplane to my eyes, but haven’t flown a plane - thus asking.
Ok, I guess I should explain. In my 1969 Chevy Nova, I actually replaced the wheel with a yoke after the Navy. It wasn't even power steering :D Felt just fine to me. Drove it for 5 more years like that.