Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About that "yoke" steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>>The main maneuver I'm concerned about with the yoke? Not turning. Straightening out - where you usually let the wheel slide in your fingers back to its default position, but are ready to grab it / stop the rotation when necessary.<<

That's another "con" that hadn't come to mind - yes, you DO let the wheel slide back to neutral almost all the time you make any real turn. Perhaps it would work with a yoke, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Only a problem if you need to turn a certain angle at least. Less so if they reduced lock to lock turns needed.

Slightly off topic but saw this teaser video (end of Article) today for a new Lexus EV with "yoke" steering wheel.
Concept car only, so mostly for show (while testing out new tech "under the hood"). Attached is an illustration of the difference (from Toyota actually, which is the parent company of Lexus). Yoke is like the glass doors, you can argue potentially unsafe, but never made production, so moot point.

EDIT: Also attaching a picture from today's Lexus EV reveal, showing a translucent phone, probably not making production either. ;)
EDIT2: Here is an Lexus concept from 2 years ago, also has a yoke: Lexus teases its first electric vehicles with a wild drone-deploying concept car, and the one from today: The LF-Z concept shows just how far Lexus has to go in EVs

Attachments

• Concept vs. Production.png
    Concept vs. Production.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • LexusEVConcept.jpg
    LexusEVConcept.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Only a problem if you need to turn a certain angle at least. Less so if they reduced lock to lock turns needed.
Virtually every turn can use this technique with a wheel, which allows for a great deal of precise, constant control with minimal arm or hand movement while also allowing the driver to keep his/her/their eyes on the road at all times. Anything similar with a yoke would require ridiculous yoke-wheel turn ratios (eg as little as 60 degrees yoke turn to fully turn the front wheels, making a left turn with the left hand) or using the outside of the hand to “control” the yoke through a revolution.

Reactions: Wol747 and AMPd
That's exactly my issue with the changes! They are solutions to non-existent problems. Every other radical UI/control system change we've had in the Model S or Model 3 before this was to improve functionality or usability. I'm just not convinced that there is anything to be gained from the new wheel or especially from the new button controls on the wheel. As someone who has worked on airplane cockpit design before for high-end business jets, there is a lot of bad design practice going on here.

I'm hopeful the AI PRND isn't a nightmare, but all it takes is one botched multi-point turn in a crowded parking lot to piss off the users and erase the time savings from normal operation. Again, it's a move with very limited upside and significant downside. Sure, if it works perfectly it'll be a minor convenience, but there is a lot of risk of operator backlash here. Any touchscreen implementation of shifting is going to be less convenient if the driver has to look at a screen to make sure they are selecting the right button. Critical functions need tactile feedback or different activation mechanisms than non critical functions.
My wife traded her 2006 Lexus 400H (Hybrid) for a 2018 Lexus 450H. Instead of the touchscreen, it required manipulating a center console joystick to select controls on the screen. After 2 months of dangerous driving, she traded that for a Highlander with a normal touchscreen. BTW, we decided to maintain one ICE car for now along with my MX.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I know this has been a controversial topic with many unsure what the yoke steering wheel will be like. Well fortunately for the curious, there is one good example of someone driving the KITT car on the public roads that talks about why it is not great for sharp turns.

See 3:05 in this video:

Also, the NHTSA is looking into whether it is even actually legal for them to produce it:

NHTSA Not Sure If Tesla Can Actually Sell Yoke-Shaped Steering Wheel | Carscoops
I have been looking to replace my 2016 model S but will not do so as long as the yoke steering wheel is the only option. Don't like it at all.

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
Honestly, I cannot see the attraction, especially given the many compromises and especially in combination with removal of all the operating stalks. But I know, I have said that before and am beating a dead horse. Tesla will do what it does....
I think Tesla will have to offer a round wheel at some point and then its great that people get a choice. I am not sure of the practicality of having indicator and horn buttons that move.

Read the manual, the horn can also be activated by using the palm of your hand to press all the buttons on that side of the steering wheel.

I have serious reservations about the yoke, but it frustrates me that the discussion is constantly ruined by people making strawmen issues that don't exist. I want to focus on the actually real issues with the yoke.

>>I have serious reservations about the yoke, but it frustrates me that the discussion is constantly ruined by people making strawmen issues that don't exist. I want to focus on the actually real issues with the yoke.<<

Hardly straw men: the lack of stalks is integral to the yoke's useability.

Read the manual, the horn can also be activated by using the palm of your hand to press all the buttons on that side of the steering wheel.

I have serious reservations about the yoke, but it frustrates me that the discussion is constantly ruined by people making strawmen issues that don't exist. I want to focus on the actually real issues with the yoke.
That is slightly better but it still moves. I don't think it is fair to expect people to read the manual for a car they probably don't have. and most people are asking reasonable questions.

Reactions: Wol747
>>I don't think it is helpful to let people judge the handling and user interface of a car they haven't used, at all.<<

I've seen no-one list the ADVANTAGES of the yoke turn indicator buttons, horn, etc let alone the yoke itself. The turn buttons alone are bizarre when you have any real lock on the yoke. And how do you flash or dip the lights? The software on my S NEVER puts the lights up full unless I go manual every trip.