TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

About the Door Handles

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SageBrush, Jul 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

They appear to be oriented for left hand use.

Curious. Something to get used to.

2. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Member

I'm leftanded and use my right hand to open my drivers door. Strange that I'll have to get used to using my dominant hand.

3. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

err - rotate your hand 180, now your thumb is on the other side, problem solved

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

Not on the other side of the car. :D

• Like x 1
  5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Many cars have/had push button door openers. What did y'all do then? Serious question. It's exactly the same movement. I would use the 'appropriate' hand for opening each door, no matter which 'handedness' I was or whether the door had pull handles or a button or this 'push one area, and pull the pop-out lever' setup.

• Like x 1
  6. mrsandman

mrsandman Member

One of the videos mentioned that there were 2 ways to get out of the car. Has anyone figured out the 2 ways? I didn't catch the differences.

7. boaterva

Did they mean the doors? If they mean emergency escape, I would assume the trunk through the back seats, unless they meant something else entirely (trunks have an emergency open latch inside, even with a handle visible at night). The roof doesn't open. You can be trivial and say there are two doors.... :D

How do you define 'two ways to get out of the car?'

8. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

are you thinking of this video? they mention there is a push button near where your thumb would be when your hand is on the grab handle and then there is also a pull lever (out of view but presumably under or within the grab handle)

Edit: the Youtube time start didn't work - so fastforward to 1:40

9. boaterva

Ah.... yes, I heard one of the bloggers mention that, also. The lit button on the grab handle and a 'more normal' handle somewhere else. But not described in detail... I assume (like the emergency handles on the Falcon Wing Doors on the X) that they are completely manually operated and the buttons are electric and could fail?

My confusion was from the phrase 'two ways to get out of the car'. My bad.... I would have said 'two ways to open the doors', sorry for the stupid answers above! :D

10. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

As a right-handed Australian, I applaud this.

11. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

For LHD cars, isn't it normal to use your left hand to open the driver's door? This allows you to swing the door open past your body and step into the car. If you use your right hand, the door will bump into your body and you have to do an awkward contortion to swing the door open and then reposition your body so you can step into the car.

• Like x 1
  12. mrsandman

mrsandman Member

Haha. Yeah. Sorry about not being clearer. I was just trying to state it in the same way the Tesla driver said it in the video from my memory.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Good point, at least for the front door on the driver's side.