TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

About those Jack Holes

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SageBrush, Aug 20, 2018.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

I've been mulling over possibilities for inexpensive adapters and realized I don't understand the mechanics of the jack placement spot on the car:

Is the mechanical strength the triangular (but somewhat rounded!) metal with a hole in it, or is the load carried at the depth of the hole ? Said another way, is a pin in the hole mostly for placement and to prevent sliding, or does it carry load ?

2. intjester

intjester Member

I think it's the former. I ended up getting the puck style from ReverseLogic, as the puck does not really go outside the bounds of the smallish horizontal plate that is given. The O-ring holds them in place in the socket.

However, if you want to do jack stands, you only have 2 choices and it may be better to go with the stand maker's adapter directly.

Tesla

3. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

There's some in depth discussion including Tesla on this.....The holes are not necessary, but can aide in alignment.

4. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

I expected this to be a thread about shorts/haters. I am disappoint.

• Funny x 3