Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to agree with those that think D likely stands for "dual motor" for an AWD Model S. It does surprise me that they'd release an AWD Model S before the Model X is available, from a marketing standpoint. But Tesla has often been about shipping things "when it's ready" and we know that AWD Model Ss have been in testing for a while.

Notice that the "D" is in the same font as the "P" in "P85". Suggests another trim level of the Model S to me -- perhaps dual motors as others have suggested?

That's the first thing I noticed as well. Definitely looks like a Model S variant along the same lines as the P.

AWD makes the most sense in that light. They're phasing in driver assists along the entire line, so I'm not sure that makes as much sense.

I'm going to agree with those that think D likely stands for "dual motor" for an AWD Model S. It does surprise me that they'd release an AWD Model S before the Model X is available, from a marketing standpoint. But Tesla has often been about shipping things "when it's ready" and we know that AWD Model Ss have been in testing for a while.

Doug - if the Model S D85 is AWD with 4 seats, does that change your position regarding marketing?

correct Doug, it will also allow them to get some of these in owners hands for real world experience with the dual motor setup, if there are any issues/problems, this will be resolved well before Model X debut, thereby assuring a very smooth rollout of it, hopefully :)

how many noticed "standard capacity" and "high capacity" on the VIN designation? hint hint