Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with those assuming "something else" is the Model X beta. We are so due for that. And showing a dual-motor S and the X at the same time makes sense-- people will have that as a pure choice, with only a matter of months difference in delivery timing.

What I really wonder about is if the AWD ships this Q. If so, it may be just the thing to beat the 35k number for the year, assuming they get it smoothly into production.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just surprised they are going to call it the Model S D85 or PD85 etc, not Model S 85 AWD or P85 AWD. Adding a D for dual motor seems strange and misses the immediate consumer recognition of an all wheel drive vehicle. You see 85 AWD on a car and you think: oh, that's an AWD version. You see D85 or 85D and you think: what?

I have to say that naming cars is not their strongest suit. None of the names are inspired, frankly.

I think after working for something like 3 years on the seals for the Falcon doors, they gave up. Model X will be renamed Model D and have Delta Wing Doors!
Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 11.26.39 PM.png

It could be a Deluxe version of a Model S with a longer wheelbase. That would allow for a larger battery pack, and more leg room for those Chinese who want to sit in the back while a chauffeur drives.

Last edited:
I'm thinking maybe it's a new variant on the Model S platform. Long before they released the car they showed a slide with four different variants, including a cabriolet. That would be a lesser leap then the Model X. Just another WAG of course.

Here's something everyone on here has seemed to miss: the scripted D in the photo. Being that it is in the same font as the P in P85, I think it's clear that it will go in the model name (not a feature like driver assist, which I think is the something else and gets us to the double D innuendo). It's also clear this is not a new model, Tesla clearly has limited resources and wouldn't be unveiling a completely new model when Model 3 hasn't even been designed/shown. Dual Motor is the most obvious because the work involved in its development, especially with the redundancy to Model X, would be relatively simple and produce large return (increase Model S demand and "testing" for the Model X). I think, as mentioned earlier, we are looking at a Model S D60, D85, PD85, PD85+ (maybe they'll skip the D60).

RG - I'm with you - makes a lot of sense. However if they use the same nomenclature (likely) I think it will be S60D or P85D or P85D+. The S & P seem to be the real name and starting with a D will screw it up...using the D is right in line as the dual motor is the thing, not that it is AWD. Many cars have AWD. None have dual motors except I think the BMW i8 and that Audi...

Definitely Dual motor for the S and very highly likely Model X reveal. Exciting times for Tesla. What I'm wondering, along with all of you, is the performance benefit from this second motor and if that entails a higher density battery pack.

Definitely Dual motor for the S and very highly likely Model X reveal. Exciting times for Tesla. What I'm wondering, along with all of you, is the performance benefit from this second motor and if that entails a higher density battery pack.

I'm also wondering whether dual-motor will be available as an upgrade to existing Model S. If so, time to brace for another cashectomy...

I'm also wondering whether dual-motor will be available as an upgrade to existing Model S. If so, time to brace for another cashectomy...

I think there's pretty much zero chance of that. If Tesla says it's cost-prohibitive to retrofit parking sensors onto older S's, then another motor with accompanying drivetrain is definitely out.

yesh, its upgradable, just requires you selling your existing Model S, and buying the new model.
its far too different to be actually upgradable.. Teslas form of "planned obsolence": keep making better cars, that people want to buy.
a totally different concept from Detroit.

Casting my vote with the dual motor, mainly because of that Elon event in Europe where George B cut him off when someone asked about an AWD variant. I suspect this will be a high-end only option that will replace the P85 (like the 4s for the Porsche 911) so they can avoid the DP jokes from Jalopnik, although they seem to be relishing the 'D' jokes tonight.

I picture the lineup being something like this in ascending order of cost, but i wouldn't rely on my shaky prognostication abilities:

P85
P85+
D85
D85+

My second guess is for an extended wheelbase version. Recall in the video for the Model X reveal that they said the X is built on an extended wheelbase version of the model S platform, so we know something like that is feasible with the parts being developed for the X. Still it would have required sneaking in some new die to Fremont at some point - anyone spot mysterious unused ones laying around the stamping machines on a recent factory tour?

Edit: a word