Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too had been wondering how much the rear motor would be helping at 155MPH. When I said "handed off", I didn't necessarily mean that it completely switches over. Just that more and more of the power starts coming from the front instead of the rear as you go faster. Anyways, you probably don't need full power (from both motors) to get 155MPH. Here is one example of an ICE car (FWD by the way) that does 155MPH with 280hp:
2012 Opel Astra OPC gets 280 horsepower, 155 mph top speed - Autoblog

Mazda RX7 turbo (Gen 3) could do 155+ with 255hp:
Mazda RX-7

1991 Acura NSX went 167MPH from 270hp:
Pure and Simple: NSX went where other exotics feared to tread - 1991-1996 Acu | Hemmings Motor News

Model S has very low CD so cuts through the air rather well. Although a big car, I suspect it can do 155MPH with well under 300hp.

Seems like the 221hp front motor could almost do it by itself, but it would be close.

Yea your right.. all those cars can definitely hit 155 mph.. it's more like.. how fast can you get there ;) hahaha... I've hit 135 mph in the P85+ but as you know.. it takes a while as the torque and power in general drops down. I don't want to say where one would do 155 mph aside from the track but if it took a really really long time to get there, it's almost useless as well wouldn't you say? heh. So.. I would think full power.. both motors!! Vroom!!.. well.. not vroom but you get the point lol.

Larry

Any pictures of the frunk in the D?

2015-tesla-model-s-p85d-frunk.jpg

I don't think it's any deeper either. As a matter of fact, it appears to be a bit smaller "front-to-back", as you can see that the rear wall(where that placard is sitting on top of it) is farther forward.

As a result of that slightly narrower dimension it probably appears deeper...

Last edited:
Model S comparison table

S60 208 miles range 380 hp 5.9 sec 0-60 120 mph
S60D cancelled
S85 265 miles range 380 hp 5.4 sec 0-60 125 mph
P85 265 miles range 470 hp 4.2 sec 0-60 130 mph (discontinued)
P85D 275 miles range 691 hp 3.2 sec 0-60 155 mph (king of acceleration with some loss of range)
S85D 295 miles range 376 hp 5.2 sec 0-60 155 mph (king of range with no loss of top speed)

I just wanted to compare my old table to the new with all the updates

Current Models
S60 208 miles range 380 hp 5.9 sec 0-60 120 mph
S85 265 miles range 380 hp 5.4 sec 0-60 140 mph (top speed was 125, firmware update or production change ups that to 140)
S85D 270 miles range 376 hp 5.2 sec 0-60 155 mph (king of range with no loss of top speed)
P85D 253 miles range 691 hp 3.1 sec 0-60 155 mph (king of acceleration with some loss of range, was 3.2, now 3.1)

The D models changed range several times on the way to the torque sleep enabling update. Hopefully the numbers don't change after this.

The P85D got a firmware update to give it a faster 0-60 time

The S85 got a top speed update (was that firmware only or just for deliveries after a certain date/VIN?)

The S85D should still be the range king but after the range number changes we still don't know by how much. Might be very slight, might be more noticeable with certain usage patterns.

It'll be interesting to check back to this table when the P85D has been out for 6 months and again when the Model X numbers show up.

Last edited:
Is this confirmed, and in use, or just a promise / rumor ?

Have we seen any Model S going 155 MPH yet?

That's a promise. Both on the bottom of the order page in an asterisk and from Elon's tweet a few days back.

It's unclear if the firmware to deliver it has been pushed out. In the past week it seems like there's been 4 firmware versions released for P85D.

Is this confirmed, and in use, or just a promise / rumor ?

Have we seen any Model S going 155 MPH yet?

note the 155 mph was in the original reveal from Oct9th/10th when the website went live, they never changed the top speed marketing for the S85D and P85D after the site got properly updated the next day. See post #1503 for an early screenshot.

The only change in top speed in the marketing I saw was the more recent change of the S85 from 125 to 140.

I haven't confirmed any Model S of any style going above any speed.

Last edited:
note the 155 mph was in the original reveal from Oct9th/10th when the website went live, they never changed the top speed marketing for the S85D and P85D after the site got properly updated the next day. See post #1503 for an early screenshot.

The only change in top speed in the marketing I saw was the more recent change of the S85 from 125 to 140.

I haven't confirmed any Model S of any style going above any speed.

Please go look at the order form right now. The P85D top speed has a double asterisk after it and at the bottom of the page is this:

** The P85D top speed is currently electronically-limited to 130 mph. In the coming months, we will be able to upgrade the car free of charge to enable a 155 mph top speed. This free update will be available for the lifetime of the car (not limited to the first owner). Additionally, an over-the-air firmware upgrade to the power electronics will improve P85D performance at high speed above what anyone outside Tesla has experienced to date. In other words, the car will be better than you experienced. This free upgrade will be rolled out in the next few months, once full validation is complete.

Curiously the 85D has the same top speed but does not have the double asterisk. That statement has been there for a while so I'd suspect that the software release to remove the limitation would be soon and they expect the 85D to ship with the software when it is released initially.

Please go look at the order form right now. The P85D top speed has a double asterisk after it and at the bottom of the page is this:

Curiously the 85D has the same top speed but does not have the double asterisk. That statement has been there for a while so I'd suspect that the software release to remove the limitation would be soon and they expect the 85D to ship with the software when it is released initially.

no need to go look. I've seen it in the past and you covered it. I just didn't mention the caveat because I didn't consider it that significant. I trust Tesla on the 155 to come. Call me naive if you like. :wink:

I'm not saying they won't do it. It's just not the current state of the P85D, which was what the comment you were replying to was asking.

No the question was "Is this confirmed, and in use, or just a promise / rumor ?" that isn't just the current state of the P85D that includes any and all past statements, marketing materiel, etcetera under the "just a promise" clause. :smile:

Maybe I just trust Tesla more than TEG does on the point of increased top speed.