Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious about the timing.... I'm leaning toward the idea that it will likely be possible to order the AWD vehicle right away, and that the production line is already tooled for it.

The alternative - announcing that the system will be available is QX of 2015 would lead to an enormous drop in new orders, and probably an awful lot of cancellations (probably including me) while people wait for the AWD version to become available.

It makes sense. They just did a significant and costly retooling. That was obviously not just for a few added electronic gizmos. Yes, there may have been a capacity increase, but you don't want to do this frequently. Retooling for the AWD system again in 4-5 months just makes no sense.

I'd be curious to look into the frunk of one of the newer vehicles to see if there's been some changes that might allow space for the installation of the new motor & drive components. I'm sure that they're not going to have two variants of the sheet metal work. The future RWDs will likely be the same as the AWDs - just less the new drive unit & shafting.

I think I am inclined to bet on it just being something as simple as both the Dual Motor option and Model X event (as the something else). Certain people on the forums, who would be in the know should a private invite have been sent out with potentially all the details, have been overly quiet on the subject... Especially someone with a certain low signature Model X reservation number who would almost definately be one to get an invite to the beta reveal... *cough* Bonnie *cough*

So I am going to go with her silence on the subject as my evidence that that is what this "something else" is :D

Here's something everyone on here has seemed to miss: the scripted D in the photo. Being that it is in the same font as the P in P85, I think it's clear that it will go in the model name (not a feature like driver assist, which I think is the something else and gets us to the double D innuendo). It's also clear this is not a new model, Tesla clearly has limited resources and wouldn't be unveiling a completely new model when Model 3 hasn't even been designed/shown. Dual Motor is the most obvious because the work involved in its development, especially with the redundancy to Model X, would be relatively simple and produce large return (increase Model S demand and "testing" for the Model X). I think, as mentioned earlier, we are looking at a Model S D60, D85, PD85, PD85+ (maybe they'll skip the D60).

That's logical.

I'm baffled as to why people are still making guesses at the "D" part. It's obviously dual motors. That's it. Nothing else.

Also, I don't think the "something else" is Driver Assist. Those are features found on dozens of other high-end (and not so high-end) cars. Announcing that at a big event is like admitting that Tesla is playing "catch up" with all the other car makers who have had lane change warnings, and ACC for YEARS!. Elon wouldn't make a huge announcement over copying what everyone else has been doing for quite some time.

It's also not Automated Driving. Do you guys have any idea how far away we are from that? And not from a technological point of view, but from a regulatory, legislative, and insurance standpoint? Elon already said it's a few years away (I thin he said 3-5 years). He can't even get the Model X rear-view cameras approved yet.. you think Automated Driving is just around the corner?

Finally, if I were Tesla Motors making an AWD Model S, I'd put a much smaller motor to drive the front wheels in situations where it's needed (snow, ice, etc) and have it switchable by the user. In a Model S, one only really needs AWD for better handling in those environments, and a small, torquier motor would do the trick, AND consume much less energy. The idea of a dual-twin motor in the MS pushes it into supercar territory, and while there is a small market for that, I think TM wants to continue to being electric cars to the masses, and they don't do that by making a $200,000 dual-twin AWD motor supercar. They do it by adding a small second motor (driven off the single inverter) and keeping costs and prices as low as possible.

Now for the Model X, that might have dual-twin motors because of the increased weight and for marketing purposes. I'm not even going to guess on that.

I'd guess that the "something else" is slightly higher range (slightly bigger battery, and drop the S60), or maybe the first reveal of what the Model 3 will look like, like they did for the Model X two years ago. Or a better seat retrofit program for the Model S.

Hank,
What about "on ramp to off ramp" driving assist? That would be the equivalent of the upcoming GM Supercruise. The car does all the driving on the freeway.

My official guess is: 1) dual motors, 2) automated freeway driving.

RT

2014.10.08 - "D" - What is all about?

Conjecture?

And I meant 2014.10.09 if a mod can change the title...

10616537_10152725453962801_6942777440078733866_n.jpg

My guess is a 500 mile range battery for the Model S. D means 500 in Roman numerals.
Double decker battery pack, added cost for the option about $20,000.

I'd prefer D for a Deluxe version that has a luxurious interior that rivals Audi, BMW and MB.

Hank,
What about "on ramp to off ramp" driving assist? That would be the equivalent of the upcoming GM Supercruise. The car does all the driving on the freeway.

My official guess is: 1) dual motors, 2) automated freeway driving.

RT

Nope. No way that would be legal for many, many years to come.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, driverless highway driving won't be a reality until *all* cars on the highway are all driverless. Or all driverless vehicles are limited to their own, separated lane.

Also, even GM knows it's far off: "Cadillac projects this technology could make its way into production models later this decade." and that's optimistic.

I don't care how good computers are at driving on the highway. They're likely never be able to navigate all the unexpected things that can happen on the highway (that is, unless all the other cars are also automated, greatly reducing human unpredictable-ness).

Automated Driving will happen just as soon as Artificial Intelligence is perfected. I.e. Never. (at least not in our lifetimes).

Surely the "D" in Elon's tweet refers to dual motors for the S. Tesla is already using that exact phrase on the website to describe the Model X, this is a quote from Model X | Tesla Motors

"Model X comes standard with Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive. The second motor enables more than all-weather, all-road capabilities: it increases torque and traction in everyday conditions. Model X Performance accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in less than 5 seconds, outperforming the fastest SUVs and many sports cars."

And that is also why I suspect the "something else" reference in the tweet will be the reveal of the Model X production prototype showing the final design, exterior and interior, of the X. It is likely going into production in less than 6 months, they must have the design locked down by now.

So the Oct 9th event will announce the Model S D85 with dual motors and reveal the final design of the Model X.

I doubt the "D" refers to the new Driver Assist features which at this point are relatively minor features, even with the coming ACC, since many other high-end vehicles have them and we know that they are going to be in all Tesla's moving forward.

And the fact that the"D" in the tweeted graphic matches the font of the currently used "S" and "P" to me proves that it does not represent the Driver Assist features, it is a modifier of the model name.

yes, the letter D printed on the announcement artwork uses the same font as the P as in Model S P85
another datum is that the Model S car pictured on the announcement, behind the half-opened garage door, is hidding something just above the hood (or is it?)
now there could be, as "leaked" by EMusk that there is yet another letter (same or different font?), that could go attached or together (before or after) or independent from the "D"
droptop is somewhat (only) outdated when compared to convertible, besides buyers may not want to drop the top as it goes better mechanically-folded inside the trunk
activeDriverassist? the 500milerange DuraLITH Battery? Dualsomething (an extra serving of a thing/feature we already can have?), Domewagon extended passenger/cargo?
my insider sources from the factory are making fun of all elucubrations confirming we have no idea what that D stands for,

at least for now it could easily stand for Doubt

I'm curious about the timing.... I'm leaning toward the idea that it will likely be possible to order the AWD vehicle right away, and that the production line is already tooled for it.

The alternative - announcing that the system will be available is QX of 2015 would lead to an enormous drop in new orders, and probably an awful lot of cancellations (probably including me) while people wait for the AWD version to become available.

It makes sense. They just did a significant and costly retooling. That was obviously not just for a few added electronic gizmos. Yes, there may have been a capacity increase, but you don't want to do this frequently. Retooling for the AWD system again in 4-5 months just makes no sense.

I'd be curious to look into the frunk of one of the newer vehicles to see if there's been some changes that might allow space for the installation of the new motor & drive components. I'm sure that they're not going to have two variants of the sheet metal work. The future RWDs will likely be the same as the AWDs - just less the new drive unit & shafting.

Makes sense here - they mentioned the retool was "to make room for the Model X", which is dedicated dual motor AWD. The fact that in the Model X page that Tesla refers to the X as having "Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive" makes me think that "D" is going to be for Dual.