Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, Kalud.

Notice how Subaru above it showcases their Eyesight driver assist technology. Come on, Tesla!

P.S. I just RSVP'd to Elon's D reveal gig on the 9th. They better show that Model X or we are throwing a fit. Do they at least hand out tshirts to attendees?

Side mirrors can't be eliminated until federal law is changed. That's something several manufacturers have been lightly sniffing around, but no action yet.

Genebe - You are correct sir!

Anyway, the mirrors are likely just retracted and therefore not visible in the picture. The shadow on the ground indicates that they are still there.

I can confirm, based on conversations with a former Tesla engineer, that this car will surpass the Bugatti Veyron. I also maintain that the much higher price point ($200k?) and relatively low-volume production of these cars will allow Tesla to resolve any reliability issues with the dual motor before releasing it in volume with Model X.

w-what...? Beating the Bugatti Veyron would not be directly in line with Tesla's goals of accelerating the transition to sustainable transport.

Except, if this is true, it would be a great halo car and bring a lot more attention to the brand.

Fastest vehicle mass-produced in USA
World's fastest four-door vehicle
World's fastest vehicle with a 58cu.ft. trunk!
...and... it's not gasoline powered, which kinda presents a problem for oil companies and all the gasoline-powered car companies that are standing still. If it's true. Which is still hard to believe.

I have some more thoughts on it however. There are a lot of folks thinking the "and something else" is a preview of the Model X, due to the number of Model X customers who've been invited. Maybe so. However I think the underlying - no pun untended - reveal of significance would be the 110KWh battery, which fits in the same form factor as the batteries on current Model S, and which is created using the latest higher-density 18650 batteries which are also going into the new Roadster battery. I believe they will either announce this battery at the event, or the P85D will definitely be using it, even if they don't mention it. Why?

As you know, the S60, S85 and P85 cars all draw increasing amounts of current out of the battery and allow those cars to get decreasing 0-60 times. P85 draws 400A.

This is a result of increasing numbers of 18650 batteries (which allows for more power to be drawn) and the higher power invertor in the Performance model.

If the P85D has the new 18650 batteries, and a low production volume, specially-developed even higher power invertor, then it could deliver more than the 400A of current drawn from the battery in today's P85. (the mind boggles as to what the current might be, just don't touch the terminals!) This could be what is needed to propel the P85D at a noticeably faster rate than the P85. I say this because simply adding another motor to the system and dividing the battery's current between the two (during a standing start acceleration) does not make for a faster car, it just makes for a car that takes better care of the tires and allows them to last longer - and gets prodigious grip under nasty road conditions. I would be perfectly happy to get dual-motor drive in my current car and avoid worrying about peeling out and uneven tire wear. But if TSLAROX' post is true, I guess they decided to up the ante. Which would definitely merit a special launch event. And perhaps using an airport runway is required to demonstrate the speed of the car.

Last edited:
He wasn't talking about reflections on the car, he was talking about the car shadow on the ground.

OK:
p85d-shadow.png

I guess we are to assume it has the power mirrors folded back in "parking mode"...
p85d-mirrors.png

And where is the edit button when you need one? *sight*.. I bit more clean..

Camera: Apple iPhone 5s
Lens: iPhone 5s back camera 4.12mm f/2.2
Shot at: 4.1mm
Digital Zoom: 1.663043478x
Exposure: Auto exposure
No flash
Date the image was created on the posters computer: September 19, 2014 3.08:30PM (Unknown timezone), that is about 14 days ago
Size: 8 megapixels

The fact that the image was taken 14 days ago and "auto-magically" ends-up here just after Elon's announcement is highly suspicious to me...

The fact that the image was taken 14 days ago and "auto-magically" ends-up here just after Elon's announcement is highly suspicious to me...
IIRC, some "color" was provided indicating it was a friend that took the picture and she didn't consider it important until the recent tweet by Elon. I take all kinds of pictures that aren't important/interesting beyond me until someone asks about something specific on TMC. Doesn't seem suspicious to me.

w-what...? Beating the Bugatti Veyron would not be directly in line with Tesla's goals of accelerating the transition to sustainable transport.

Except, if this is true, it would be a great halo car and bring a lot more attention to the brand.

Fastest vehicle mass-produced in USA
World's fastest four-door vehicle
World's fastest vehicle with a 58cu.ft. trunk!
...and... it's not gasoline powered, which kinda presents a problem for oil companies and all the gasoline-powered car companies that are standing still. If it's true. Which is still hard to believe.

I have some more thoughts on it however. There are a lot of folks thinking the "and something else" is a preview of the Model X, due to the number of Model X customers who've been invited. Maybe so. However I think the underlying - no pun untended - reveal of significance would be the 110KWh battery, which fits in the same form factor as the batteries on current Model S, and which is created using the latest higher-density 18650 batteries which are also going into the new Roadster battery. I believe they will either announce this battery at the event, or the P85D will definitely be using it, even if they don't mention it. Why?

As you know, the S60, S85 and P85 cars all draw increasing amounts of current out of the battery and allow those cars to get decreasing 0-60 times. P85 draws 400A.

This is a result of increasing numbers of 18650 batteries (which allows for more power to be drawn) and the higher power invertor in the Performance model.

If the P85D has the new 18650 batteries, and a low production volume, specially-developed even higher power invertor, then it could deliver more than the 400A of current drawn from the battery in today's P85. (the mind boggles as to what the current might be, just don't touch the terminals!) This could be what is needed to propel the P85D at a noticeably faster rate than the P85. I say this because simply adding another motor to the system and dividing the battery's current between the two (during a standing start acceleration) does not make for a faster car, it just makes for a car that takes better care of the tires and allows them to last longer - and gets prodigious grip under nasty road conditions. I would be perfectly happy to get dual-motor drive in my current car and avoid worrying about peeling out and uneven tire wear. But if TSLAROX' post is true, I guess they decided to up the ante. Which would definitely merit a special launch event. And perhaps using an airport runway is required to demonstrate the speed of the car.

320kW is enough for sub 3 sec 0-60 if you cab get the power down, which you can with AWD, so no need for better battery. (Unless they are really building a Veyron surpasser :)) There will be 2 inverters, each smaller than the P85. The rear motor will be smaller than the current RWD motor, otherwise the car will be too heavy, no?

Yep. The other thing to consider about that car at the airport on September 19th... I assume since there's no registration plate on the back, it must have been rolled off a truck straight from the factory, but if Tesla Motors really cared about the secrecy of that car, they would have at least covered up the badging with a bit of sticky tape. It appears they allowed members of the public to get that close to it.