Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it confirmed that it only works where there are actual painted lines on the road? I would think the radar and sonar are more sophisticated than that.

Neither the radar nor the sonar can see the edges of the road (they are both looking for things that stick up above the surface) - though in a zone where there's a concrete barrier they could certainly see and work off of that. It might be possible to use the camera to do lane recognition without the lane lines, maybe - but it is certainly a much harder problem.
Walter

Presumably, the driver will have to intervene and hopefully the car would make lots of noise about it when it detects it. Which is why it's autopilot, not autonomous.

Undoubtedly some folks will abuse this horribly and do stupid things like read a book while "driving", but there's not much you can do about that. As long as overall autopilot is safer than without it, society comes out ahead.

If the car sees an area it can't steer through far enough in advance, maybe it'll pull over if the driver doesn't respond.

Some of the cars today know if there are hands on the steering wheel (presumably from sensing the difficulty of turning the wheel?) and Ford even thinks they can figure out if you're tired or drunk. So maybe if the car signals that you need to take over, and you don't react, it could a safe place to stop until you pay attention?

That'll take time and programming effort, and requires the car to realize what is going to happen several seconds ahead of time, but I think it's doable and certainly the best case.
Walter

Does anyone know what will be the difference between autopilot and the autopilot features you get with the technology package?

From what the order page says and what I've read, I'm thinking all of the hardware shows up on every car, but only the safety features (lane departure warning, emergency braking, and the like) are enabled without tech package - so you need tech for autopilot. But it's very early days, and I could be quite wrong.
Walter

Neither the radar nor the sonar can see the edges of the road (they are both looking for things that stick up above the surface)
For the record, sometimes the human (me) can't see the edges of the lanes either when the paint is faded or the weather is interesting. The trick is coming up with good defaults for bad conditions -- like going straight and maintaining speed and possibly dropping the speed by 1 mph every 10 seconds while beeping to get the driver's attention.

For the record, sometimes the human (me) can't see the edges of the lanes either when the paint is faded or the weather is interesting. The trick is coming up with good defaults for bad conditions -- like going straight and maintaining speed and possibly dropping the speed by 1 mph every 10 seconds while beeping to get the driver's attention.

I've been there. A curving remote section of freeway in Colorado with 3 inches of new snow on it. I was left trying to pick out the flat section from the not-flat section - there were no curbs or guard rails, and no old snow piles to guide you. It was interesting...
Walter

The P85D comes pretty well optioned out of the box.

S85 + tech + air + wheels = 99,070.
P85D includes all above = 120,170

So the difference is really $20k, not $25k-$35k.

That is true, but the P85D has required options, the 21" wheels, alcantara headliner, etc. that I would not have chosen to add. My S85D config came to $103k and similar P85D would be $130k. I want that go fast SO bad, but that's a lot of extra coin for a commuter car! I am tempted though.

I wonder if it recognizes conduction zone signs because often there can be both old and new lane marks on the road at the same time.

I'm excited but a little disappointed that the interior only comes in black. I want to trade but want my new P85D to look exactly like my current P85 (tan leather). Was anything said about more interior color options in the future?

Yea, I was thinking a secret upgrade would be nice. Exactly the same car only P85D and take someone you already took for a ride and really shock them.