Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to be a new Roadster 1.5 owner... Open to advice!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some things I wonder about are:

1. Do any of you take your roadsters through a touchless (no spinning flaps or brushes just water) car wash? Or only hand wash?

2. Is there a way to increase the lifespan of the soft top? (i'll be receiving both, but will storing soft top inside my home help it last longer?)

3. When you change the charge rate through touch screen settings,does it stay at that rate for the next charge?

4. Related to number 3, when you want to range mode charge the car, is this done via settings in the touch screen? once it's turned on, do you have to remember to turn range mode charging off for the next charging session?

5. How do you most effectively exit the vehicle? Hold onto the steering wheel? I think I like ingress with right foot in first but havent figured out a good system for egress.

6. When you close the trunk, what part of the trunk lid do you grab? I'm guessing don't grab the top of the spoiler? or maybe it's fine.

Any advice is appreciated!

1. Do any of you take your roadsters through a touchless (no spinning flaps or brushes just water) car wash? Or only hand wash?
I have tried but expect some leakage around the roof as the seal is not great. So it is very rare I do so.

2. Is there a way to increase the lifespan of the soft top? (i'll be receiving both, but will storing soft top inside my home help it last longer?)
That should help along with minimizing the on and off

3. When you change the charge rate through touch screen settings,does it stay at that rate for the next charge?
Yes on charge rate for THAT location. I normally charge at 24 amps at home for instance.

4. Related to number 3, when you want to range mode charge the car, is this done via settings in the touch screen? once it's turned on, do you have to remember to turn range mode charging off for the next charging session?
No as it will default back to normal

5. How do you most effectively exit the vehicle? Hold onto the steering wheel? I think I like ingress with right foot in first but havent figured out a good system for egress.
Practice grasshopper practice.

6. When you close the trunk, what part of the trunk lid do you grab? I'm guessing don't grab the top of the spoiler? or maybe it's fine.
Use two hands one on each side over the latches is best.

Any advice is appreciated!]

I have an "exit strategy" where I step out with my left foot, and then as I rotate my torso for egress, I support myself on the latch on the door sill frame (silver bracket) with either my hand or my elbow as I simultaneously push off that support and stand up on my left foot as I lean forward and stand up. It is a very smooth motion, and it is very easy to do. That is, until I am a passenger in my own Roadster when I let someone else try driving—the muscle memory is definitely not there for the mirror-image egress!

Enjoy.

• Love
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture

Hand wash only. Look up the "Two bucket method" for best results. The Roadster's paint is considered "soft" by some, and is easily damaged by grinding in dirt and such.

I use my soft top in the summer, and use a "glass" top from Visium in the winter. No idea if that's best for the top, but it's best for me. :)

It's saved by location.

Range mode is by the touch screen settings. It returns to normal on the next plug-in. Note, range mode is an independent setting for charging and driving.

Depends on how tall you are. I'm relatively short (5' 4" - just tall enough for my feet to hit the ground), and exit by putting my left leg out first, left arm across the edge of the seat above where the silver latch is. Push off with the right leg while it's still in the car, transferring to my left as I exit. Entry is easier, putting the right leg in first, then drop into the seat while at the same time swinging the left leg in.

Note that I have yet to gracefully exit the car from the passenger side, since I'm almost never over there.

I just pull down on the lid part until it's lightly closed (not latched), then push on alternating corners to latch it (usually 2 twice).

Any advice is appreciated!

• Love
I have an "exit strategy" where I step out with my left foot, and then as I rotate my torso for egress, I support myself on the latch on the door sill frame (silver bracket) with either my hand or my elbow as I simultaneously push off that support and stand up on my left foot as I lean forward and stand up. It is a very smooth motion, and it is very easy to do. That is, until I am a passenger in my own Roadster when I let someone else try driving—the muscle memory is definitely not there for the mirror-image egress!

Enjoy.
I will try this! Thank you

This video should help with the 'how do I get in/out'. You'll only think about it the first month or so, then you'll build muscle memory & you'll wonder why it was ever an issue. And then you'll get in the passenger seat to let someone else drive and will remember why it was an issue.

Haha thank you Bonnie! I felt so awkward my first time... I guess that can apply to a lot of situations in life

The car has a built-in GPS.
Screenshot_20190807-005348_Google.jpg

As stated above, hand wash only, two bucket (or 3 , one for wheels), multiple micro fiber. This clear coat swirls worse than any car I have seen.

"6. When you close the trunk, what part of the trunk lid do you grab? I'm guessing don't grab the top of the spoiler? or maybe it's fine.
Use two hands one on each side over the latches is best."

I do one side at a time directly above latch, if you are offset from latch you may start to see a wear mark develop on top of your taillight assembly as the lid can warp a bit as you apply pressure.

"2. Is there a way to increase the lifespan of the soft top? (i'll be receiving both, but will storing soft top inside my home help it last longer?)
That should help along with minimizing the on and off"

Sure, for the fabric part you can spray treat it, there are really good hydrophobic treatments you can apply yourself. Also, be sure your cables are adjusted correctly and make sure they seat properly in the gasket when installing so not to damage.

Reactions: Sig72
As stated above, hand wash only, two bucket (or 3 , one for wheels), multiple micro fiber. This clear coat swirls worse than any car I have seen.

"6. When you close the trunk, what part of the trunk lid do you grab? I'm guessing don't grab the top of the spoiler? or maybe it's fine.
Use two hands one on each side over the latches is best."

I do one side at a time directly above latch, if you are offset from latch you may start to see a wear mark develop on top of your taillight assembly as the lid can warp a bit as you apply pressure.

"2. Is there a way to increase the lifespan of the soft top? (i'll be receiving both, but will storing soft top inside my home help it last longer?)
That should help along with minimizing the on and off"

Sure, for the fabric part you can spray treat it, there are really good hydrophobic treatments you can apply yourself. Also, be sure your cables are adjusted correctly and make sure they seat properly in the gasket when installing so not to damage.
Hmmm, are there any video tutorials out there about installing the soft top?

- Lifting the car to e.g. change wheels has to be done correctly. Check the manual and make very sure service personnel in a tire service place e.g. will be informed how to do that. Wrong procedures could cause an accident and might damage the car seriously.

- Do not forget that the Roadster (like other Teslas) has also a 12V battery. It is an ordinary lead-acid chemistry automotive (motorcycle) battery that has a limited life. If this battery fails, the car will reports errors and may not switch on. It is advisable to check it regularly. Ask the previous owner when it was replaced last.

- The car has power and is heavy in the back. When negotiating roundabouts or hairpins in the mountains use the accelerator gently until you have a good feel of the car. On wet or icy roads take particular care or your sporty take off ends in a ditch.

• Informative