Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to click order now...60/60D???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I have hinted in previous threads....my handwringing included = Will the car be in Florida for its entire life? Will there be times in the next 10 years that AWD would pay off? When you sell the car, will the AWD bring a better price, so the $5000 upfront fee gets a partial refund?

Questions without answers...For me, I'm back to the RWD

People who fly twin engined planes boast that the second engine can increase safety (as often as not, it will transport them to the scene of the accident), but those who fly single engine planes note that twin engined planes have double the number of engine failures. I also live in Florida and ordered a 70 without four wheel drive because of cost, quiet, larger frunk, and simplicity.

People who fly twin engined planes boast that the second engine can increase safety (as often as not, it will transport them to the scene of the accident), but those who fly single engine planes note that twin engined planes have double the number of engine failures. I also live in Florida and ordered a 70 without four wheel drive because of cost, quiet, larger frunk, and simplicity.

As a SEL pilot, I love this.

The only reason I would choose a D over the standard would be if I lived in a cold climate area with snow. In SA its not worth it, only reason for a AWD vehicle here is if you are going off-road. Hopefully one day Tesla would build a proper off road for playing in the mud/sand/mountains.

Post refresh, the D it's a better car in pretty much every measurable way - faster, more efficient, etc.

It's getting those extra eight miles from the same amount of electricity, too - so the running electric cost will presumably be ~4% lower too.

However, $5k is a big chunk of the price on a 60 - you'll have to decide if it is worth the money to you.

For you, I think this comes down to the desirability of "D" at resale. Let's go to the numbers:

Model / Range / 0-60 / Cost of Upgrade over Base 60

60 / 210 / 5.5 / $0
60D / 218 / 5.2 / $5,000
75 / 249 / 5.5 / $8,500
75D / 259 / 5.2 / $13,500

Honestly, given that you live in Florida, the whole AWD thing isn't nearly as compelling...and the additional 8 miles of range and 0.3 of a second acceleration isn't anything to write home about either.

Conversely, if you spent $3500 more and went for the 75kw battery (in RWD form) you get a much more significant 39 miles of additional range over the base 60. Here in the early days of electric cars, range is still very much king. Ask yourself if you were looking at used Teslas a year from now, which would be more appealing at a nearly identical price point: 60D or 75 RWD? Now add in the Model 3's existence and the fact that it will likely have a 60 kw battery too.

My vote - get either the 75 RWD now or base 60 and set aside that $5k you were going to drop for AWD and put it toward the 75kw upgrade later if needed.