Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to confirm order - a few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Alan

Sep 18, 2010
UK
Hi All,

Before hitting confirm I would love some feedback on my choices ideally from owners who have had the car for a while.

I have had a Roadster for 3 years and plan to keep it, the Model S is going to be the family car.

My current spec is below - the pricing is in UK pounds.

85 kWh Performance Model S 68,700
Includes £5,000 plug-in grant
EXTERIOR
Grey Metallic Paint 650
Panoramic Roof 2,100
19" Wheels Included
INTERIOR
Black Nappa Leather Seats 1,250
Piano Black Décor Included
PERFORMANCE
Carbon Fiber Spoiler Included
CHARGING
Supercharger Enabled Included
OPTIONS
Tech Package 3,200
Parking Sensors 400
Fog Lamps 400
Subzero Weather Package 650
Alcantara Headliner Included
ACCESSORIES
Blue Charging Adapter Included

My questions

1. Is the car going to be too dark inside (grey car, black / black interior). BTW the Grey was chosen by my Wife so not an option to change (I would have gone for Pearl White!)
2. Have I done the right thing deleting the red brake calipers, but keeping the carbon spoiler (think red / grey might look odd)
3. I have tried to keep the cost under control a bit so not gone for air suspension (never used it on my old Audi) or the uprated suspension / sound etc. Are there any options I am really going to regret not including.

Apologies if there have been 1000s of questions like this, but I normally lurk in the Roadster section!

Thanks in advance
Alan

I like the grey and red, but it's a matter of preference.
reve7azu.jpg

I like the grey calipers better with the grey car, I think you chose wisely. Config looks good, but that combo will be a bit dark on the inside. Grey with grey leather seemed a bit monotone to me, but grey with tan leather looks nice, at least in pics. Why no CF interior trim to match the spoiler?

I have this exact combination. I looked extensively before finalizing. I really really like grey with black. To me it is a study of black and white and grey, and looks very sharp. I actually am not very fond of the 'tan' color, has too much yellow for my taste. With the black interior, I like the way the whole car looks together, with the tan it looks more 'normal' - can't explain it.

Hi All,
1. Is the car going to be too dark inside (grey car, black / black interior).
Alan

I avoid light interiors because I wear jeans a lot. My last car had a beautiful tan interior against the black paint. Beautiful once a month right after I scrubbed out the blue jean marks on the door panel and drivers seat... Never again. I imagine if your jeans are really old it might not happen...

If you like a tight handling car, you won't regret not getting the air suspension. If you prefer the soft cushy ride of a Mercedes or Lexus you might.

I still disagree with this after having driven a newer P on coils (but I didn't race it, so can't be completely sure). My air P is way tighter/harsher and less floaty. On Fresh asphalt I can feel the bumps left from the a vibrating roller, with the coils I couldn't feel it at all. driving over temporary HMA tapers or bumps the coils bounce an extra time vs the air

I like the grey calipers vs red too
or maybe chrome them to match the trim..haven't seen that yet

black interior is nice as long (probably as it isn't too hot where you live?)

I will say that if you do prefer the black interior, the regular black nappa leather seats you have chosen looked better to me than the performance seats. The red piping and the alcantara bolsters just added too many additional hues to the mix. Straight black is simple and elegant.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the comments so far - will give some serious thought to the interior carbon fiber option to match the styling. I guess the reason I did not spec it to start with is that the Roadster is real carbon fiber so having a few bits of CF trim seems sort of pretend / fake (even if its real CF). On the other hand it probably looks better / a bit lighter in color / matches the spoiler so makes sense.

I love my blue, but I dream of ordering #2, gray with gray leather interior and CF trim. The black interior isn't too dark as the trim from top of the doors up is beige. I have black leather in my blue MS now and love it. Normally I love red brake calipers, but they just don't seem right on the MS to me.

All your other choices look great, but they are such personal choice it really comes down to what YOU feel you really want and need.

I have driven Performance with coil suspension and Standard with air suspension. The Performance is a bumpy, jolting, unpleasant (to me) ride.

I haven't sorted out which part of the difference is Performance vs. Standard and which part is coil vs. air. (Anyone want to let me test drive two more cars for comparison? :biggrin: )

But anyway, I would be very cautious about getting Performance with coil unless you like the backbreaking, potholes-hurt sports suspension feel. If you want the smooth luxury feel, get the Standard with air.

I find that I have exceptional road feel in the Standard with air suspension -- I can feel every bump -- but they're all *muted* and the car "runs on rails". On the Performance with coil, the bumps are harsh and there are "aftershocks" as the coils bounce multiple times per bump.

Mind you, my local roads are BUMPY.

Performance upgrade is just more power. No difference in suspension. Ride harshness is definitely subjective an depends on what you are coming from. I have no doubt that the coils will feel harsh if you are used to cushy (Mercedes, Lexus). My coils feel smooth to me but I come from a Dodge Viper and Chevy 4x4 pickup.

Great discussion on this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/16150-lolachampcar-Performance-Upgrade-Efforts/page11

I have driven Performance with coil suspension and Standard with air suspension. The Performance is a bumpy, jolting, unpleasant (to me) ride.

I haven't sorted out which part of the difference is Performance vs. Standard and which part is coil vs. air. (Anyone want to let me test drive two more cars for comparison? :biggrin: )

But anyway, I would be very cautious about getting Performance with coil unless you like the backbreaking, potholes-hurt sports suspension feel. If you want the smooth luxury feel, get the Standard with air.

I find that I have exceptional road feel in the Standard with air suspension -- I can feel every bump -- but they're all *muted* and the car "runs on rails". On the Performance with coil, the bumps are harsh and there are "aftershocks" as the coils bounce multiple times per bump.

Mind you, my local roads are BUMPY.

I just got mine, it's grey with black textile interior. I got piano because I didn't like anything else. I was surprised that I didn't love it when I got the car. I still think it was the right choice for me because I didn't like the other trims, but I would have considered the other ones longer if I had seen a car with the piano before I ordered. That being said, the piano is nice and shiny and has a classic feel to it, but isn't very "interesting". It does show air particles very quickly.

I went Grey with Tan Leather and it looks amazing. I personally think Tan is the richest looking interior color and it goes great with the Grey that Tesla uses. I also prefer the Grey Calipers with the Grey Paint. You really can't go wrong on any of the colors though. They all look great.

I went Grey with Tan Leather and it looks amazing. I personally think Tan is the richest looking interior color and it goes great with the Grey that Tesla uses. I also prefer the Grey Calipers with the Grey Paint. You really can't go wrong on any of the colors though. They all look great.

If its not too much trouble could I have a photo of your interior - I can not find a good photo showing grey with tan interior online.
Thanks
Alan

If its not too much trouble could I have a photo of your interior - I can not find a good photo showing grey with tan interior online.
Thanks
Alan
I don't really have any really good shots showing the Grey against the Tan, but it goes really well. In fact, the Performance Tan Seats come with matching Grey piping.

Here's what I have: attachment.php

I put up a few pics here too: Where's bareyb?