Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to join the club! Best protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked it up today. Grinning stupidly. :D

Shinteetah's pic reveals that the MS, frine as it is, comes in second to the Miss.

Here's a serious, maybe dumb question. I take delivery on my MS this week (metallic blue) and am also considering protecting the paint. Considering BOTH Xpel wrap for forward surfaces and then OptiCoat everywhere - to give minor ding protection plus waxing and raindrop elimination. Thoughts?

Picked it up today. Grinning stupidly.

Love that red beauty duo! :rolleyes:

Here's a serious, maybe dumb question. I take delivery on my MS this week (metallic blue) and am also considering protecting the paint. Considering BOTH Xpel wrap for forward surfaces and then OptiCoat everywhere - to give minor ding protection plus waxing and raindrop elimination. Thoughts?

More seriously, that's pretty much what I just had done...and I'm very happy of the look:
- XPel wrap for full hood, front fender, full front quarter panels, mirrors and front of rear quarter panels+rear of back doors (the later shows a demarcation line)
- CeramicPro for the rest of the car (similar to OptiCoat/CQuartz)
- Some extra finish (not CeramicPro) on top of XPel to have the XPel wrapped portion shine like the rest

Of course, it's so new that I haven't tried washing it or seen it under rain yet!

It's the Xpel factory "store" (installation facility?)

8222 N. Lamar
Suite E40441
Austin

I talked to Lindsey back in March.

I don't know about any prep that might be included. When she and I spoke, my new MS was about to be delivered, so our entire conversation was in the context of covering a brand new car.

Entire car: $4k, 10-year warranty
10% off for AAA discount: $3600
An additional 10% off for being an active member of a car club
Add $107 for fog lights and headlights
With both discounts it could be as cheap as $3347 for entire car, with headlights and fog lights covered

Takes three to four days for full wrap.

I suspect they use template-produced pieces instead of hand trimming, which I though might have the potential for edges that were less attractive than what my local custom installer did. As I mentioned before, I could probably talk myself into full coverage with potentially less attractive edges for the same price. It's a tough call to make.

I had my car done here last month. Pretty much a full wrap except the back bumper and tailgate. Now wondering why I didn't just do the whole thing! They did a fantastic job. I believe they use pre-cut pieces but I'm not 100% sure. They wrap edges wherever they can, and I don't believe they took apart any components from the car. The edges are super precise and almost invisible. My price was consistent with the above, and I did it in two phases. Did full front + luggage area one day (dropped 8am, picked up 4pm) and then did four doors plus rear quarter panels on another day. Almost a full wrap and I'm regretting not getting all if it done.

The peace of mind is fantastic, and it just looks amazing.

Shinteetah, read your blog, Laura, nice! Congrats on your writing career.

But... now you know there's no need to justify a Tesla. It's a Tesla.

I pick up my 'Blue Boy' MS day-after-tomorrow, very excited - no aidos for me.

I pick up my 'Blue Boy' MS day-after-tomorrow, very excited - no aidos for me.
Oh, cool! Enjoy! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Flying Squirrel? Oh, I know that reference. Fred Eaglesmith and the Flying Squirrels:

Hate to disappoint, and that's a nice track, but it's far geekier. :)

The parody RPG called ADGNEPSEF555 (Advanced Dimensional Green Ninja Educational Preparatory Super Elementary Fortress 555) includes a sentai team which comes together to form the Teslatron. The red vehicle is called The Flying Squirrel.

It's a pretty niche joke, but Wattson was already taken. ;-)

I had a clear bra applied along with paint protection coating by the Ziebart shop in Castleton for about $1000 total. Did the same thing on my wife's Avalon Hybrid 2 years ago and the finish on that car still looks new. After 5 months my 85D finish is flawless.

pedriscoll I have a question??!! Based on your visit to Ziebart, I am going to do the same. When I asked them for a full front including the whole hood, they said they can only do a partial for the hood! Were you able to get all of your hood covered or just part? (If full, I may have to drive to Indy!!)

Thanks!