Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to join the Tesla Family from Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I joined the TMC back in April 2016 but never posted anything until now. I’ve been keeping up with Tesla news through this and various other sites like everyone else. I live in the DFW area. I reserved the Model 3 on 4/1/2016 but decided to go ahead and order a Model S 75D. That is the car I’ve wanted since it was first introduced. I still have the Model 3 Reservation but will probably let it go. I don’t have any family members in the market for a Tesla.

The Model S was ordered on 2/13, confirmed on 2/17 and got the VIN on 2/17. Estimated to be delivered late March/early April. Options will be Red Multi-Coat and EAP. Of course I got the free supercharging via referral. Looking forward to taking delivery and replacing my Prius. The Prius replaced a 2011 Mustang GT Convertible with the 5.0 Coyote Engine. I loved that car. But, I decided to scale down and go with a hybrid. I had been wanting a full electric vehicle with performance and styling unlike anything that was available until Tesla. Can’t wait to get it.

Jeff

Jeff. You picked an optimal time to buy a Tesla. You capture the federal tax incentive (before it phases out), and you have the Southlake charger being added <5 miles up the street. I lived 10+ years in Southlake, and, as you probably know, the amenities in the Southlake Town Square are hard to match anywhere in Texas. Don't be in too much of a hurry upgrading your garage charging. I've driven for the last 18 months using NEMA 5-15 and NEMA 5-20 in the garage. Plus, if you are short charge (range), you have a beefy backup at Southlake Town Square. On the other hand, if you have to get a wall charger, check the other postings here about how to best install it.

Last time I was in Southlake, I got out early on a Sunday and really 'opened it up' on the toll lanes that run through Grapevine. This car will not disappoint!

Welcome and have to say we love our MS 75D. I don't think you'll have any regrets. It's a great car and the space and ride is hard to beat along with the acceleration. Did you get to do a test drive yet? We just received our invite for the Model 3 but I'm going to try to hold out for the AWD for our second car. Kind of hard to wait seeing all the new 3s out there on the road. If you have a house and can upgrade your garage electrical to even a 14-50, it's so nice to just plug in at night when you get home and be ready to go next morning and not bother having to sit and charge elsewhere. Was your Prius a hybrid?

Hi Jeff,

I live in Fort Worth. I ordered my S75D about the same time you did - entered on 2/9, confirmed on 2/12. I was at the FW showroom on Thursday evening and the manager pulled up my order on his back-end system which has more detail than what we get. They have a Dallas delivery date (approximate I assume) of 3/21 for my car. Hopefully yours will be coming by around then too.

I was not in a hurry to upgrade from a 110V outlet but since my breaker box is in the garage near the car parking space my electrician was able to place a NEMA 14-50 right below the box for only $108 incl. the service call charge. Well worth it for the 6-7X increased charger speed IMO.

Dean

I joined the TMC back in April 2016 but never posted anything until now. I’ve been keeping up with Tesla news through this and various other sites like everyone else. I live in the DFW area. I reserved the Model 3 on 4/1/2016 but decided to go ahead and order a Model S 75D. That is the car I’ve wanted since it was first introduced. I still have the Model 3 Reservation but will probably let it go. I don’t have any family members in the market for a Tesla.

The Model S was ordered on 2/13, confirmed on 2/17 and got the VIN on 2/17. Estimated to be delivered late March/early April. Options will be Red Multi-Coat and EAP. Of course I got the free supercharging via referral. Looking forward to taking delivery and replacing my Prius. The Prius replaced a 2011 Mustang GT Convertible with the 5.0 Coyote Engine. I loved that car. But, I decided to scale down and go with a hybrid. I had been wanting a full electric vehicle with performance and styling unlike anything that was available until Tesla. Can’t wait to get it.

Jeff
Congratulations, and welcome!