Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to order, a couple of questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear all,
I have been following this forum on and off for a few months and have found the answers to most of my questions. Just before I finalise my order (Model S 75D, deep metallic blue, premium upgrade pack, cream premium interior, enhanced autopilot) a couple of questions:
1. The salesman reckoned hold-off on full self-drive, that it will be a couple of years at least and if it does happen i can just pay for the upgrade then. Sounds sensible, is there anything to be gained from paying for the FSD at this stage?
2. Referral codes - I don't want to break any rules, there are a couple of helpful posters I'd be happy to use, what is the protocol?
3. will I suffer from range anxiety in Ireland? From abetteroutefinder I reckon I can go to my Mam's and back on one charge; longest journey would be to Kerry a couple of times a year, 15 minutes at the Birdhill supercharger would do the job. It doesn't seem worth an extra 28k to upgrade to the 100.
Thanks in advance.

Feel free to use my referral code for free supercharging for life! SIDDHARTH3086 or click the link Unlimited Tesla Supercharging and Extended Solar Warranty

1. The salesman reckoned hold-off on full self-drive, that it will be a couple of years at least and if it does happen i can just pay for the upgrade then. Sounds sensible, is there anything to be gained from paying for the FSD at this stage? DON'T BUY THE FSH AS IT'S NOT READY BY REGULATORS, ONLY BENEFIT IS THAT IF YOU BUY IT NOW AND THE HARDWARE NEEDS TO BE UPGRADED IN THE FUTURE TESLA WILL DO IT FOR FREE
2. Referral codes - I don't want to break any rules, there are a couple of helpful posters I'd be happy to use, what is the protocol? HERE IS MINE Unlimited Tesla Supercharging and Extended Solar Warranty
3. will I suffer from range anxiety in Ireland? From abetteroutefinder I reckon I can go to my Mam's and back on one charge; longest journey would be to Kerry a couple of times a year, 15 minutes at the Birdhill supercharger would do the job. It doesn't seem worth an extra 28k to upgrade to the 100.
DONT UPGRADE TO 100D IF YOU DONT NEED IT, THE SUPERCHARGERS ARE AWESOME! TRY THIS ROUTE PLANNER TOO Go Anywhere | Tesla BIRDHILL AND BALLACOLLA SEEM TO BE ON YOUR ROUTE

full

Last edited:
1. Definitely hold off on the FSD until it actually exists and that could be still many years away. The upgrade is about £1K more expensive than buying it upfront, but you will get zero benefit at the start and probably nothing like true FSD for years.
2. Use the referral code of someone local if you can and obviously someone helpful!
3. This is where using a local referral code will really benefit!

The salesman reckoned hold-off on full self-drive, that it will be a couple of years at least and if it does happen i can just pay for the upgrade then. Sounds sensible, is there anything to be gained from paying for the FSD at this stage?"/QUOTE]
Hi,
I'm in almost the exact same position as you but I've decided to buy the full self drive.
£2800 now or £4700 later
It is quite possible, though no one really knows, that some features of FSD may be available sooner. For example, summon on private property, self driving as long as hands on wheel. Plus, the free hardware upgrade if needed.
Mark

Buying the FSH now covers you for any hardware changes that Tesla might require to actually get it working e.g new faster processors or newer hardware. They will the hardware for free if needed. Also as and when they get the new features ready they can just send you an over the air update to enable it (if regulators allow)

I'm not paying anyone to use my code, sorry not sure what your issue is! I'm trying to be as helpful as possible on here

Just find all the relentless code pushing irritating that's all. Nothing personal, at least you do contribute but always push your referral code in the process. I thought the forum rules said you could only show your referral code in your profile, which is what I do, but seems like you just put it everywhere!

I can understand that sorry if it comes across like that, however some potential buyers really do not know that free supercharging is on offer at all and also ending 15th July, quite possibly forever! I don't want them to miss out like so many others have and then have to pay per charge or only 400kwh allowance a year! Just trying to be as helpful as possible ;)

I can understand that sorry if it comes across like that, however some potential buyers really do not know that free supercharging is on offer at all and also ending 15th July, quite possibly forever! I don't want them to miss out like so many others have and then have to pay per charge or only 400kwh allowance a year! Just trying to be as helpful as possible ;)

Looking at Dublin Driver's intended usage, free Supercharging is going to save him literally a couple of quid a year! Maybe the replacement referral program might include something more useful to the OP like a service/accessory credit (as in the last referral round) or cash back as we have seen previously (for example I got a £750 credit when I bought mine with a referral code last September). If I was the OP I would actually wait to see if they do add a further incentive after the 15th and free supercharging will probably continue anyway. Right now, the referral is of the lowest value it's ever been i.e. ONLY free supercharging.

Right now, the referral is of the lowest value it's every been i.e. ONLY free supercharging.
Contrary I have heard that a Tesla insider has said the referral program / free supercharging will actually be ending forever on 15th July and not coming back, so who knows. The referral benefit to the buyer have been getting less and less as time goes on and the brand more recognised and profitable. I think the benefit might change to some supercharging credits, free autopilot trials for a few weeks, a free T-shirt or mug! When I bought my car I got £1000 off and free supercharging, at one point Tesla actually stopped the free supercharging program completely. For me a major benefit is just getting into the car navigating anywhere I want and not thinking about how much it will cost my wallet!

Dear all,
I have been following this forum on and off for a few months and have found the answers to most of my questions. Just before I finalise my order (Model S 75D, deep metallic blue, premium upgrade pack, cream premium interior, enhanced autopilot) a couple of questions:
1. The salesman reckoned hold-off on full self-drive, that it will be a couple of years at least and if it does happen i can just pay for the upgrade then. Sounds sensible, is there anything to be gained from paying for the FSD at this stage?
2. Referral codes - I don't want to break any rules, there are a couple of helpful posters I'd be happy to use, what is the protocol?
Thanks in advance.
Nice to see your post. I am an Irish citizen in the US (family mainly from Killarney). I had these questions too when I ordered MS75D 12/17. I would skip FSD although OP made good point about future hardware proofing. I think it is years off in Ireland. The 75 has been great for me and in your moderate climate should get 225 miles (360km) safely. You can use any referral code for free SC. I am not going to push mine but PM if you want it - cheers!

Contrary I have heard that a Tesla insider has said the referral program / free supercharging will actually be ending forever on 15th July and not coming back, so who knows. The referral benefit to the buyer have been getting less and less as time goes on and the brand more recognised and profitable. I think the benefit might change to some supercharging credits, free autopilot trials for a few weeks, a free T-shirt or mug!

I guess we'll see in a couple of days, but free supercharging is only meaningful if you regularly use them. In the 6 months I've had my car, I've used it once for a top up charge! The only referral benefit I've had so far is the £750 discount given at the time.

If you are right and the whole referral program is coming to an end (and not just free Supercharging), then you might as well take it. But if the referral program does continue, then there must be some other incentive that is almost certainly going to be worth more to the OP. Personally I don't think Tesla will cut off the referral program entirely as it will cause a lot of grief among current owners, but maybe your "insider" knows more?

Yes we will see. Free SC has been super useful for me for long trips, it's such a great network. I really don't think Tesla will give any £ discounts, they are scrutinised by the shareholders and already burning through money. I remember the days when you pick up the car you would get jackets, bags, mugs, umbrellas. Now you just get the key fob!

From abetteroutefinder I reckon I can go to my Mam's and back on one charge; longest journey would be to Kerry a couple of times a year, 15 minutes at the Birdhill supercharger would do the job.

Since free supercharging is going to be worth practically nothing to you, I would wait and see what happens to the referral program after the 15th. You might get some kind of credit or other benefit that might be more useful in your case. Of course you might get nothing at all if sidmini is right, but 15 mins of free supercharging a couple of times a year is no big loss anyway.

I've recently been through the same decision process.

A lot depends on how you are paying for the car...

If paying cash then there is less incentive to purchase up front, other than the price difference between 'new' and 'later', but by not doing so you do run the risk that the price may change (as it has recently) and you also will not benefit from the promise to upgrade hardware if it is needed for regulatory approval.

If you are leasing it or using a PCP type purchase plan then you really need to look at the difference in monthly cost with and without FSD. It will not equal the full cost of FSD over the period of the lease as there is an allowance for the affect it has on the residual value.

In my case the difference in the monthly cost over 48 months only came to about £1200, where as if I had added it later I'd have to pay the full cost at that time which would be £4,700 at current prices and obviously you loose any residual value when you return the car.

Not a simple question but in the end it made sense for me to have it included in the initial cost.

Everyone who has a car has a code, so either message your chosen person and ask for it, or check their profile 'information' page where many people have their code displayed.

Last edited:
It is also worth bearing in mind that while Full Self Driving is undoubtedly still a long way off, it is expected that features that will build towards it and will use the hardware not currently used by EAP will be released quite soon now, possible even this year.

Those features will only be available to those with FSD...

It is also worth bearing in mind that while Full Self Driving is undoubtedly still a long way off, it is expected that features that will build towards it and will use the hardware not currently used by EAP will be released quite soon now, possible even this year.

Those features will only be available to those with FSD...

I think the way to look at it is whether or not you think those "features" of FSD are worth paying for now or over the period of a finance deal. Of course we don't know what those features even are, but they are very unlikely to allow anything close to true FSD. I fully expect to hand my car back at the end of my 4 year PCP in 2022 before FSD is a reality or even close. Maybe EAP will be completed by then!

Anyone expecting to plug in a satnav destination and then sit back and read a book along the way I think are going to be very disappointed. I strongly believe FSD is one area where Tesla have seriously over-promised and under-delivered, even if EAP is actually one of the best, if not the best, semi-automated systems on the market.

Reactions: HankLloydRight