Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to order a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deliveries of Model 3 are about to begin/have begun in Portugal. One quick question for the TeslaRati: We have two engine/battery(?) options: Long Range and Performance. The Performance cost 10000 Euro extra. Is it worth 10mph (17kph) and 1.3s less fron 0-60mph? Inquiring Minds... Thanks for your comments!

How would anyone be able to answer this for you?

I'm not trying to come off rude. I'm just curious as to what sort of answer you expect. You know the specs and you know the price difference. We don't know your financial situation, whether you care about performance or the extent you care, etc., etc.

I believe for most people the LR AWD has more than sufficient performance for everyday driving - the extra performance won't make a huge difference inside city driving. I believe the Performance model performs noticeably better in faster speeds, though this is anecdotal from other users. If you're already contemplating between the two options you should go for the performance model as I fear you may regret later if you settle for the LR model.

Reactions: Leeclanual
It’s a good deal if you’re into that sort of thing.

It will cost you some range, operating cost, and possibly higher insurance.

I opted for AWD. Sometimes I kick myself for not getting performance, but most days I’m fine with the decision.

We have one of each, Jorge. To me, the performance transforms the car... more than just 0-60, it enhances power everywhere. However that comes at the price of range. LR with aero wheels will have much better economy/range, and is plenty fast.

So, if you just love performance, have the extra money, and seldom need more than 200 miles in a day, go performance. If you do a lot of distance driving or aren’t that big on ultra high performance, stick with LR.

• Helpful
Reactions: suwaneedad
We have one of each, Jorge. To me, the performance transforms the car... more than just 0-60, it enhances power everywhere. However that comes at the price of range. LR with aero wheels will have much better economy/range, and is plenty fast.

So, if you just love performance, have the extra money, and seldom need more than 200 miles in a day, go performance. If you do a lot of distance driving or aren’t that big on ultra high performance, stick with LR.

The other thing I would say (in addition to this excellent advice above) is that, it depends on what you are coming from. The range is less on the performance, but, knowing that you have a car that is faster where it counts than most ICE cars on the road (even many high performance ones) either means something to you or doesnt.

How much that is worth to you is a personal thing. It may be worth nothing (it is for many people here), and would also depend on what you are coming from, AND what you still have to drive, AND what your primary purpose for the car is.

I got the performance version and am very very happy, even though the range is less than the non performance one would have been because of the tires etc. I only have 2 vehicles in my house, my Model 3, and my wifes new X3 M40i. I have a co worker who bought the Mid range model... but he already has a performance car, so did not feel compelled to get the performance model because he has a high performance car already.

"is it worth it" is a very personal decision.

Reactions: JorgeJ
Deliveries of Model 3 are about to begin/have begun in Portugal. One quick question for the TeslaRati: We have two engine/battery(?) options: Long Range and Performance. The Performance cost 10000 Euro extra. Is it worth 10mph (17kph) and 1.3s less fron 0-60mph? Inquiring Minds... Thanks for your comments!
Unless you’re taking it to a track I’d have to say no. I have a LR for daily driving and it’s responsive and fun, a fantastic car. You’ll really enjoy it...congratulations. EAP is very much worth the money. Color, wheels, and interior are personal choices.

I have driven both versions. I bought my Performance model without having driven the LR AWD, non-performance version though. I am very glad that I did. That said, if you never drive the Performance version the "regular" AWD version is an awesome car. You would only miss the Performance if you experience it. The entire car just feels more dialed-in from a handling perspective. The AWD feels like an excellent sports sedan and the Performance model feels like a sports car. How you value that difference, however, is highly personal.

I have driven both versions. I bought my Performance model without having driven the LR AWD, non-performance version though. I am very glad that I did. That said, if you never drive the Performance version the "regular" AWD version is an awesome car. You would only miss the Performance if you experience it. The entire car just feels more dialed-in from a handling perspective. The AWD feels like an excellent sports sedan and the Performance model feels like a sports car. How you value that difference, however, is highly personal.

This is how I feel about my MId Range, all that I could afford. I let a friend test drive mine then he went out and test drove an x, s, and p3d and was telling em I had to go try ludixludi mode. I think I'd rather not know what I'm missing