Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to order Model 3 SR+, questions about financing in CA, delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

It's been a while but I think we're finally ready to pull the trigger on a Model 3 SR+ in red with the 19" wheels. Super excited, although a little bummed to miss out on the 5k supercharging miles referral program - perhaps they'll up it on June 1st when I plan to place the order.

I had a few quick questions for folks in California.

Firstly does anyone have any specific recommendations on where to find low interest financing for a 66-72 month term, around $35k loan? I had been recommended Patelco and their rates are potentially better than Tesla's standard but still 3.99%. Any other recommendations to get the best rate possible? (have decent credit, high earnings etc)

Secondly, I'm about to head overseas for a short consulting gig which means my wife will have to take delivery. We're in Oakland about 15 miles from the Fremont factory - any idea how they would deliver? Are there any specific QC things for her to look out for when receiving delivery?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

I just shopped for loans at the local credit unions. Most of the time their websites are pretty clear on terms. If you have good credit, I would think you could beat 3.99%. I got 2.99%, 66 months, although the rates went up to 3.15% after I nailed it down.

Tesla expects all of the people on the registration to be present to sign at delivery. I don't know how they handle it if you can't be.

PenFed has pretty good rates depending on the length of the loan. If you only put your wife on the registration she can pick it up without you. Otherwise you both need to be present.

If possible, have someone familiar with Model 3’s, or at least very savvy about cars go with her to pick it up. I do a pre-purchase inspection on all Model 3’s that my family and friends buy and it usually takes me about 45 minutes to go through the entire car. Most of the cars are just fine but on 2 of the 5 deliveries I had to reject the car for quality problems. If there are paint issues you may be better off asking for another vehicle rather than getting stuck having to go to a body shop after delivery.

I'm no longer in CA, but I'm still a member at Parsons FCU. Got 3.69% for 84 months.

You'll want to check with your OA to figure out how to register and who can be on the loan if your wife will be the only one at delivery. It seemed like it varies by state, but had I added my wife to the registration, she would have had to been at delivery in NY

There is a financing comparison spreadsheet on here, you should check it out. But there is a Credit Union in Pasadena that only has you make a donation to the local library to join:

Auto Rates

It has rates that you are looking for. I could join a credit union in Hawaii as my brother in law lives there and they have even better rates. Would be 2.74% for 72mos... I'm hoping for 1.74% for 60 currently.

When you are looking at rates be sure to check the rate for 100 bucks less. I saved .75 on the rate because I happened to ask what bring it in at 1000 less would do and figured out that they jump on the 5’s. At least for b of a.