Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull the trigger, any known/rumored changes in the 3 upcoming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting very close to ordering a P3. I've been watching the forum here (too much!) and haven't seen anything about upcoming changes to the 3 series. There are a threads and news articles about the rumored changes to the S beyond Raven but nothing about the 3. Is it safe to assume the 3 and particularly the P3 won't have any significant physical changes in the near future? I imagine there will be some sort of pricing or included features changes due to the tax credit dropping in half but I'm more interested in physical changes.

Thanks

Most recent change has been going from Black being the free color to a new White becoming the free color.

With production volumes being cranked up to meet increasing demand, I imagine that the biggest changes will be in refined autopilot, and that will come to the fleet via OTA updates.

Biggest changes will be transferring the latest Model 3 technology to a pending update for Model S and X

Good time to buy.

The way I view it is, the Model Y, which is slated for Winter 2020/Spring 2021, is taking the majority of its styling from the 3.

That alone, provides comfort in knowing the style won't change much. Only future upgrades I can imagine is black chrome delete (the Model Y currently has that but you can wrap it) or when Elon stated the "2019 Model will have Air Suspension" but in Elon time, that means 2021.

• Helpful
Reactions: SaddleSC and FoverM
Most recent change has been going from Black being the free color to a new White becoming the free color.

To elaborate, that's supposed to happen "in July," but the change hasn't shown up yet on Tesla's Web site. Currently, black is the default color and pearl multi-coat white is a $1500 extra. Once the change happens, white (presumably not the pearl multi-coat variety, but something simpler/cheaper) will be the default color and black (maybe the same black that's available now, maybe not; Tesla has not officially elaborated, AFAIK) will become a $1,000 option. If you want either black or white, and depending on how fussy you are about the specific type of black or white you want and how much you're willing to pay for it, you might want to buy now or wait; but waiting for the color/price change means taking a gamble, since the exact details of what will be offered remains unknown. AFAIK, no other colors will be affected by this change, but color changes are the sorts of things that Tesla sometimes springs on the public with little advance notice. Also, even post-change, there may be some inventory cars with the old black and white colors available. (OTOH, Tesla's just finished its end-of-quarter delivery push, so inventory is likely pretty low now, and it's conceivable they won't be building any more with the old colors.)

As you might gather from the above, Tesla often leaves its customers guessing. So do other automakers, of course, but others tend to make changes only when model years change, or they may make occasional mid-year changes involving "limited production" colors.

To elaborate, that's supposed to happen "in July," but the change hasn't shown up yet on Tesla's Web site. Currently, black is the default color and pearl multi-coat white is a $1500 extra. Once the change happens, white (presumably not the pearl multi-coat variety, but something simpler/cheaper) will be the default color and black (maybe the same black that's available now, maybe not; Tesla has not officially elaborated, AFAIK) will become a $1,000 option. If you want either black or white, and depending on how fussy you are about the specific type of black or white you want and how much you're willing to pay for it, you might want to buy now or wait; but waiting for the color/price change means taking a gamble, since the exact details of what will be offered remains unknown. AFAIK, no other colors will be affected by this change, but color changes are the sorts of things that Tesla sometimes springs on the public with little advance notice. Also, even post-change, there may be some inventory cars with the old black and white colors available. (OTOH, Tesla's just finished its end-of-quarter delivery push, so inventory is likely pretty low now, and it's conceivable they won't be building any more with the old colors.)

As you might gather from the above, Tesla often leaves its customers guessing. So do other automakers, of course, but others tend to make changes only when model years change, or they may make occasional mid-year changes involving "limited production" colors.
Very informative. Thanks. I'm leaning towards the blue on white combo ... but would really like a blue on cream/tan but that isn't available. I doubt they'd introduce a new seat color anytime soon. But it's funny that you mentioned the base color change because I've been giving some thought to the pearl white exterior due to the heat down here in ATL. I run a small software company out of the house so I won't be driving to work daily but the summers get ugly quick even on a run to the grocery store! Ventilated seats would be a nice option.

I think there will be price adjustment coming as Q3 demand is likely lower than Q2 due to smaller Federal tax credit amount. However, this may not be immediate as Tesla is usually focus on European and China versions during the beginning of the quarter.
I'd be surprised if there is any sort of significant price change. When the credit was cut in half the first time there was a price break but it was less than half of the change in the credit. A comparable price change now would be well under $1,000 and probably not worth it.

Is it safe to assume the 3 and particularly the P3 won't have any significant physical changes in the near future?

No, that isn't safe to assume. Tesla makes hardware changes on the fly, often without any announcement or warning. You can look back on the Alcantaragate as one example and the endless threads on how much of your roof glass is orange. Trying to time your purchase is not going to work so buy it now so you can start enjoying it sooner!!

I did not say the price adjustment will be huge, but I agree that it will be relatively small if any. Regardless, I will not tell OP if it is worth the wait or not. Some people get upset even for a small price different that they lose out.

The only thing I'd love to see is some clarity on the tow hitch. I know European regulations don't allow for it to be installed after purchase, but I'd like to here something definitive for N.A... OR have Tesla add it to the configurator.

I was initially waiting for the Tow Hitch, but decided to order this morning anyway. Nothing has been said so far and it's not like they are in a hurry to get the option out.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I'm getting very close to ordering a P3. I've been watching the forum here (too much!) and haven't seen anything about upcoming changes to the 3 series. There are a threads and news articles about the rumored changes to the S beyond Raven but nothing about the 3. Is it safe to assume the 3 and particularly the P3 won't have any significant physical changes in the near future? I imagine there will be some sort of pricing or included features changes due to the tax credit dropping in half but I'm more interested in physical changes.

Thanks

Possible slight price reduction and in a week/few weeks or so Solid White becomes the base color