Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull the trigger, but need some quick advice, 85 or P85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at two different Model S cars on the CPO site.

One is a 85, the other is a P85

Both are the same year, about the same miles,the 85 has twin charge, while the P85 has the carbon fiber spoiler, but other than that it is the same options.

The P85 is $2,000 more than the 85.

I'm sure my insurance would be higher on the P85, but is upgrading to a P85 worth the extra $2,000?

Just looking for opinions.

Thanks

Difference in price used to be 10K.

The S85 is already very fast, but the P is even faster. Both are good options. I would also pick the P, unless insurance cost is really higher and a potential dealbreaker (don't know about this in the US).

Good luck choosing!

Reactions: Akikiki
I went for the P when I had the same choice (only my price differential was $5k). Totally worth it. My P does not have a stiffer ride than a regular 85 as I have had several as loaners. I think the tires issue mentioned above is for the 21" or the staggered setup that was on the plus cars. Mine has 19"s.

Your insurance will be higher on the P. I would take the VINs of the 2 cars and gets quotes based on those. I was running quotes for both an 85 and my P85 and the P85 did raise the rates vs the 85.

For $2k I'd go with the P. If anything you'll be able to ask a little more when it's time to sell or trade in.

P85 and S85 are identical in every way except for the drive motor and inverter. You'll notice no difference in handling between the two unless using the same wheel/tire combo.

My own observation is that a S85 with 21s uses less wh/mi (energy) than a P85 with 21s, so I've seen slightly more range out of the S85 loaners I've had compared to my P85+.

I really like the dual chargers on my 85, so that would be a bigger factor for my preference between the two. I also agree that you should shop the insurance rates, there are a lot of factors that could make a big difference for an individual owner between a P and a regular model.

I really like the dual chargers on my 85, so that would be a bigger factor for my preference between the two. I also agree that you should shop the insurance rates, there are a lot of factors that could make a big difference for an individual owner between a P and a regular model.

And Dual chargers is no help unless the place you charge has a 100 amp circuit.
Dual chargers do not use or help with Superchargers.

My experience with the P cars is they ride harder. I'm glad I bought the non-performance cars due to the difference in range and ride.
range is same, suspension is same, unless you get a p85+ which is harder

For $2000 difference, the P85 is a no brainer! Twin chargers used to be important 4 years ago before there were many superchargers. Nowadays its debatable if you want to carry the weight that extra charger for that rare occasion when it makes a difference

Last edited: