TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

About to pull the trigger on a Prius V

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Chris TX, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

#1 Chris TX, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    About to pull the trigger on a Volt (was Prius V)

Went to the Toyota dealership today and actually checked out the Prius and PriusV. I also test drove a "lightly" used Lexus CT200h, but it was a clunky turd of a car.
    No car compares with my Model S, so I went in with a very open mind. We need a second car for my work and MPG is key, here.
    Prius V has nice bells and whistles. Great MPG and can haul my family long distances (until the SC network gets built out to connect the Island of Texas).

I'm pretty sure I've seen quite a few signatures that have the Prius listed.
    I would convert it to plug-in after a year or two, as well.

Someone talk me out of this ;)

----UPDATE----

The frontrunner is now an almost new 2013 Chevy Volt. Here's why:

- Plug-in Hybrid, great for my customer visits around town
    - Safety rating
    - Well within my budget of $26k
    - Holds a lot stuff for a compact-ish car
    - Lithium-ion battery, instead of the Prius' NiMH

Also, I'm considering their lease for 3 years so when the Model E comes out, I could just hop over to it.
    Thoughts?

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

#2 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    Hmm. CMax, CMax Energi? Sportwagen? There really isn't much of a choice in the roomy, decent efficiency category. CMax economy tanks at speed, though, but has more oomph than a Prius. Energi loses cargo space but has the plug.

3. 772

772 Member

Why not a Plug-in Prius? You could buy one in AZ

4. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Yeah I had one, 10 EV miles doesn't get you far.

5. 772

772 Member

I'm genuinely curious... 10 miles is still better than none.

I'm not in the market for either, but looking just at the base prices, it looks like the PiP is in the same ballpark as the pure ICE, after the $2500 tax credit. Are there issues with the PiP over the 100% ICE version?

EDIT: I should watch what I type... I don't mean 100% ICE of course, the Prius V is a hybrid after all.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Don't even think about it. A number of Prius forum members converted their cars to a plug-in. None lasted very long and the plug-in companies went broke so no warranty.

Also the Prius V doesn't do so well in crash tests. The square back weakens the structure from what I understand.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but 100% of its energy comes from the gas tank, so it's really 100% ICE with a clever electrical system to increase fuel economy. So you're not wrong in calling it 100% ICE.

7. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

As someone who has installed 3 plug in Prius kits I would lean toward a factory plug in. I had to replace parts in all three. And 10 EV miles is FAR better than none.

PS my wife drives a Prius. It is no TESLA but is a good dependable car.

8. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

If your sole concern is the (current) Island of Texas, that too will pass.
    No, I don't have any inside information nor an exact date, but realistically probably by mid-Summer 2014 the immediate network of FIVE SpC will at least be expanded.

Granted, the roll-out of new SpC in February has been sparse, but it IS Winter.
    And new construction is more difficult when everything has to be shoveled before you can even dig. :tongue:

9. jerry33

In Texas? There were two weeks where a bit of shoveling was optional :)

10. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

I've owned every generation of Prius, 2001 Gen 1, 2004 Gen 2, 2010 Gen 3, and finally the 2012 PiP Advanced. The PiP is a fine car, with lots of nice features, lots of room, but it's no Tesla, and I never drove it without the engine coming on.. Over 65MPH, engine comes on, rapid acceleration, engine comes on, use the heat? engine comes on. my lifetime MPG was 92.2MPG, as I plugged it in at Work and Home, but my commute was 15 miles each way, so the challenge was to see how far I could get on the commute without the engine starting :)

Here is my old fuelly page, I only drove it a year before the Model S arrived, and then sold it, it's living in San Francisco somewhere now..

mitch672-PiP (Toyota Prius Plug-in) | Fuelly

11. tom66

tom66 Member

12. slipdrive

slipdrive Member

Seriously, 10 EV miles? In Colorado winter that wouldn't get to the corner and back on electrons. Seems kind of in the why-bother category, considering the complexity of a dual system, with dual service, etc.

13. jerry33

The point of the PiP (in my opinion) is that it gets rid of some of the inefficiencies of the standard Prius. If you try to drive it like a Volt (use the battery until it's empty and then run on gas) you're missing the point. The standard Prius is inefficient when doing the driveway shuffle because the engine always turns on, or going a mile or two to the store because the engine never warms up. It's also inefficient in long stop and go traffic (it's very annoying to have the gas engine come on when you're stuck for more than ten minutes in stop and go traffic). The idea behind the PiP is that you only use the EV mode in those situations, and if you have some EV range left as you're going home then you use it.

The Prius is basically a gas car with some clever electrics to reduce fuel consumption. The PiP just adds a bit more clever electrics to the mix.

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

#14 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Feb 24, 2014
    Why bother? Because it's a better Prius. Consider this question: what car journeys are least efficient in a Prius? The answer is short journeys, especially thoee in cold weather. Just having those extra few kWh help raise the efficiency of short trips, while the use of Li-ion instead of NiMH helps overall efficiency. Also, the ability of the Prius to blend battery and engine effectively allows it to make good use of what buffer you do have. Basically, although the PiP often has to run the engine, it can avoid hard running of a cold engine muchcmore than the regular one.

15. slipdrive

slipdrive Member

Sorry, didn't mean to be sharp. Ok, it's a better Prius. That's good. I have a friend with a Volt, and his cold weather kw/mi doubled last month, not sure why. Same with the Leaf I understand.

16. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Member

#16 omgwtfbyobbq, Feb 24, 2014
    That's fairly accurate for most commercial kits. Hybridinterfaces.ca actually offered a good kit (no batteries include), but Norm is done making kits apparently. Some peeps on Priuschat are trying to recreate Peef's approach, which is probably the best/least expensive version, but that's sputtered out too.

Many cars are.

Several Compact Crossovers Fail IIHS' Small Overlap Test - KickingTires

The small overlap test is really hard on a car, and because of that small offset crashes involving multiple vehicles account for ~20% of all fatalities.

17. slipdrive

slipdrive Member

Couple of questions for learning. The PiP cars are getting some attention, and facts are hard to come by:
    How is the Li battery temperature managed on the PiP; is there a cooling and heating system ?
    Is the quoted 11EV mile range charged to 100% presumably ?
    Does the PiP recharge the 4KwH Li battery with motor regen, and at what kind of Kw rate ?

Thanks

18. bsbomber

bsbomber Member

#18 bsbomber, Feb 24, 2014
    I can't wait to sell our Prius V. Yes, we get 47 mpg and can carry lots of stuff ...but I would have never bought it if I first watched the crash tests.

I would highly recommend the Chevy Volt. We get 40 to 50 miles of electrical range and then 40 mpg on gas.

19. dm33

dm33 Member

The Volt has not been tested with the small offset crash test that is so hard on many cars.
    The Prius also did well on all other tests, just like the Volt did.
    The Cruze got a marginal on the small offset crash test which is better than the Prius. If the Volt shares much with the Cruze maybe it does better as well, but its hard to predict without a test having been done.

20. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#20 SwedishAdvocate, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I’m guessing that it’s a bit smaller than a Prius V (or a PiP), and I don’t know when it will be possible to actually drive one off the lot, but anyways, there’s also the plug-in Audi A3 e-tron. The 5-door SportsBack version that is (since you did test drive the Lexus CT200h…)

e-tron® Electric Sports Car & e-tron® Technology | Audi USA

- - - Updated - - -

And I of course understand if the plug-in Panamera S E-Hybrid isn’t under consideration since the MSRP apparently starts at $99.000… And since they haven’t released the official EPA mileage figures I’m guessing you can’t drive that one off the lot currently either… But at least in theory it might be another alternative…

Panamera S E-Hybrid - All Panamera Models - All Porsche Models - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

- - - Updated - - -

And if safety is the number one priority, and you want a wagon, I guess there’s also the Volvo V60 that has just been introduced on the American market. If you can stomach the fuel consumption that is… For the 2015 V60 T5 Drive-E FWD Volvo claims 25Cty/37Hwy. And unfortunately – if you can also stomach giving some money to the non-democratic (etc.) Chinese regime… (Post #2 in that thread.)

Here’s the small overlap result for the sedan version of this car (IIHS Top Safety Pick):

Vehicle details – Volvo S60 | IIHS

I guess if that if you can equip the car with some kind of Aero rims you might be able to get some marginally higher gas mileage. Volvo does sell a plug-in hybrid version of this car in Europe. That version can be had with aero wheels, so maybe the US non-plug-in version can be ordered with those wheels as well. And of course, narrow tires designed for low roll resistance might also help…

Source: 2015 Volvo V60 Specifications - Compare Technical Specifications

- - - Updated - - -

There’s also the BMW 328d xDrive Sports Wagon (328d as in diesel). BMW claims 43 mpg hwy...

BMW 328d xDrive Sports Wagon - Model Overview - BMW North America