Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull the trigger on Tesla Solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla solar is a tremndous dumpster fire of epic proportions. if the money is worth the potential frustration go for it but Tesla is essentially ghosting customers and there is zero feedback, customer service and heaven forbid if you have an issue, you are on your own. Im 6 months into my solar install, Im paying for my loan and my system isnt activated and I think it's not working anyway. Check my posting history for my story.

There are people with 100k in solar roofs in the same position for a lot longer, they are having to sue Tesla now.
I concur with you on their horrible customer service/communication, and dysfunctional internal organization/process. I am 6 month after installation/payment, 10 month after ordering, still no PTO. I am extremely frustrated now after spending so much time to figure out and explain the conflict between PSE and Tesla, and what Tesla needed to do to get PTO.

How can we escalate this issue further?

I concur with you on their horrible customer service/communication, and dysfunctional internal organization/process. I am 6 month after installation/payment, 10 month after ordering, still no PTO. I am extremely frustrated now after spending so much time to figure out and explain the conflict between PSE and Tesla, and what Tesla needed to do to get PTO.

How can we escalate this issue further?
I almost went with Tesla for my 18.36kw system. Very glad I didn't although it cost me about 15% more. Customer service is essential for this type of project and Tesla has terrible customer service unfortunately.

Reactions: Heretic and h2ofun
Had my system on since March of this year and been happy so far. It was frustrating dealing with Tesla during the process though. They promised a 12 week timeline for me, but it ended up being a 24 week timeline. I didn’t lose anything out of it though. If you can handle 6-12 months timeline, I would pull the trigger on the larger system. Don’t expect Tesla to meet whatever timeline is promise to you. I hear some people didn’t have to pay until they got PTO. So if you can maintain that leverage, you aren’t losing much.

I think Powerwalls (PW2) are really good pieces of equipment (i have 3 in my garage now). The GW2 is decent too (except that they are trying to limit local net automation connections more now, which stinketh, and a couple other complints regarding firmware). No other whole home battery system could even come close for the money.. (both in terms of capacity and surge/contin current output). I am not liking Delta inverters very much. Qcells panels are mediumish and seem to do their job (have 36x). I dont have a lot of data on that front.
Tesla's customer service has been worse than any other contractor I have ever experienced (im nearly 60 and have paid contractors probably over half a million over the years, so i'm not totally new to it). Considering the big ticket items they are selling, and the complexity of the system and, inspectors, and pge involvement, and the difficulty of re-doing it if it goes awry, they badly need to fix that part of their business model.
The 3rd parties i got quotes from and picked their brains for 2 months before going with tesla (back in 09/2020 through 11/2020) basically were admitting that they probably couldnt get any powerwalls for a long time, like minimum 6 months. (looking back if that was all i had to wait, it would have been the same as all the farting around with tesla not installing what we had agreed on). overall, the most frustrating part of tesla has been they installed what i think is a downgrade inverter (delta). I am pretty darned annoyed about that part.
The third parties were much more clear in the proposed contract about what equipment they would install for what price. Tesla tried hard to make it generic and avoid showing me the details all in one document. Even though i thought i got it all in writing before i signed, they still switched the inverter and i still havent got it straight. I also think tesla is letting me have less control (locally) over my system components than a smaller installer might have.

I hear some people didn’t have to pay until they got PTO.
The generic "purchase agreement" they used says bill due in full when building inspection signed off. at least a couple people on here are stuck months between the inspection done and not getting PTO with utilities. personally i am stalling the inspection til they put the inverter in they promised (that's not going well; they hold many more cards than i do, at least hey act like it. ).

Just placed my order and after much consideration and some great feedback here, I decided to go with the 12kW system with 3 PWs. I am certain this is more than enough for my current and future needs. According to Tesla, install expected in 11-12 weeks.

again thank you for all the information, it definitely influenced my decision for the better.
All i can say is MAKE THEM SHOW YOU the the equipment they'll install when their truck pulls up. they wrote up my layout and even had approved planset with Solaredge with inverters, and optimizers for my property with multiple shading issues, and day of? ... they install delta, it produces/performs crappily. no fix in sight 4 months later. Multiple posters on here had that happen to them. But, One poster on here had that happen, but noticed the morning of, not the night of install, and refused install. They came back later with the originally promised inverter.

Reactions: CapitalistPig
Had my system on since March of this year and been happy so far. It was frustrating dealing with Tesla during the process though. They promised a 12 week timeline for me, but it ended up being a 24 week timeline. I didn’t lose anything out of it though. If you can handle 6-12 months timeline, I would pull the trigger on the larger system. Don’t expect Tesla to meet whatever timeline is promise to you. I hear some people didn’t have to pay until they got PTO. So if you can maintain that leverage, you aren’t losing much.
They actually billed me before PTO and it is almost immediately due upon receiving the invoice. So essentially I had to pay first, and then the PTO process dragged on for 6 months due to internal dysfunction of Tesla.

I've shopped around and Tesla is by far the cheapest quote I have gotten. However I am concerned about all the horror stories regarding customer service/communication.

Those that have had Tesla solar panels installed, would you do it again or would you have gone somewhere else? Also if you had to choose between getting a high capacity system (8kw vs 12kw) or additional Powerwalls, what would you recommend? They suggested a 8kW system with 2 Powerwalls, however I am not convinced that is enough ( I just got a Model S and this is my first month of home charging, plus pool filter and ACs). Thank you for reading/replying
I would not do it again based on their customer service. I have a 20 year lease on solar panels. The system failed a month ago. It was pulling teeth to get an appointment waiting 30 days. I left work early and they never showed up. After holding 30 minutes on their support line (the scheduling phone had a hold time of over an hour) they said they have another slot in 2 months. I am running the AC and my electric car off the grid in July and August. I am not optimistic this system will ever work again. I wish they would have told me this when they took my money.

I really like Tesla Solar but I would never ever use them. Let me explain. I used the app to get a quote which was better than any other quote I received. And I used that quote to negotiate with a local solar company.

To me it is really important to have good customer support on such a complex construction project. I think you would have to be quite irresponsible to trust Tesla given how useless they are in this respect. On my project I had several issues such as broken panels and electrical box issues. It is absolutely essential to have a responsive company deal with that and I have no faith that Tesla would have helped. In addition Tesla now forces you to buy power walls which would be totally useless for me as I live in New York where we have net metering.