Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull trigger -- should I wait??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt it, just because new options will have cost associated with them, and Tesla is not going to include that for free. I would assume you will get what you paid for and nothing else. If you're serious and expect any new gee-whiz feature they come up with before they build your car to be included, get it in writing from Tesla. At least ask them straight out if that's the case. No sense in being disappointed.

To the original question of this thread, I vote wait, at a minimum until the X comes out. Drive the X. Look over its options. You'll know a lot more than you do now and can make a much better decision. I bought in May, not knowing the 90 battery was coming. There's always something new cooking - wait as long as you can stand it, then buy!

Didn't the Autopilot hardware become standard and just start showing up? I remember hearing people got their cars delivered before Autopilot was even unveiled. I'm pretty sure that standard features will be included on future orders if they are standard at the time of the build. Same thing with LTE. They aren't going to install 3G on it if you ordered before LTE became standard.

I do agree with waiting though. I won't be making any order or confirming my reservation until after the X has been unveiled. Even then, I might wait to see it in person before placing my order.

Didn't the Autopilot hardware become standard and just start showing up? I remember hearing people got their cars delivered before Autopilot was even unveiled. I'm pretty sure that standard features will be included on future orders if they are standard at the time of the build. Same thing with LTE. They aren't going to install 3G on it if you ordered before LTE became standard.

I do agree with waiting though. I won't be making any order or confirming my reservation until after the X has been unveiled. Even then, I might wait to see it in person before placing my order.

Yep, you are right about auto-pilot. But will they keep this model for all future changes to the car? Not sure... and wouldn't just assume it.

Does anybody know why they started adding auto-pilot hardware to all cars, regardless? That seems wild to me. If somebody doesn't want it and doesn't choose the option, doesn't Tesla lose the money they invested in the camera and ultrasonic sensors that go unused? Do other carmakers do this? Just seems like they'll lose money on a lot of cars when the owners/buyers say "no thank you" and don't purchase the option.

I doubt it, just because new options will have cost associated with them, and Tesla is not going to include that for free. I would assume you will get what you paid for and nothing else. If you're serious and expect any new gee-whiz feature they come up with before they build your car to be included, get it in writing from Tesla. At least ask them straight out if that's the case. No sense in being disappointed.

I was talking about standard features, not options. Going out of their way to build in an old feature set after a manufacturing changeover has already been made would cost Tesla more money... hence, any standard feature/build hardware change announced prior to my car entering production would include said change (e.g. the switch to LTE, the windshield change, the changeover to white alcantara headilners being standard, etc.). Similar things even happened when auto pilot was announced. Tesla had started building the hardware into every Model S by default weeks before the announcement was made, it was just up to the owners to pay to have the hardware activated after delivery. Again, it costs them more to manufacture multiple configurations than the hardware which would be the difference between the configurations.

Economy of scale. It's why traditional auto manufacturers bundle options together and, typically, hate custom orders. The fewer the number of configurations you're manufacturing, the lower your manufacturing cost becomes.

The model S is CONSTANTLY being upgraded. So if you're waiting for the perfect car, you'll never get a Model S. If there is a specific feature you're waiting for, then that's a different story. Some people are waiting for cooled seats. Some other people are waiting for new autopilot hardware (rear radar, 360 degree camera, etc.), some people are waiting for something else. No one knows when all of this will be out.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Tesla will never wait -- to incorporate a new feature -- for the sake of an arbitrary time stamp. If it improves the machine, it becomes available to the public.

Tesla is not General Motors, Audi, VW, Ford, Fiat, Chrysler, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, etc.

If you want a Model S, then get a Model S. You could wait forever. Once auto-pilot and ventilated seats are truly available, there will be the "next" announcement and you'll have to wait months for it to come to fruition. I placed the order for my P85D in December, got it in April, and have loved every mile. Glad I didn't wait (Then again, I have all of the standard features, just don't have autopilot enabled yet nor do I have ventilated seats, which I wanted.) I'd be surprised if ventilated seats and such make it in to the Model S before mid-late 2016.

In terms of rebates, I also got the PA rebate. Their site shows 117 rebates still available; when I applied in April, I don't think the number was that much different honestly. Not sure of your exact area, but check with your utility company as well. I got a $50 rebate from PECO (Wow, $50!!)

And make sure to use someone's referral link if you purchase before they expire. It's $1000 in your pocket. Can't go wrong with that.

Hi Vapor:
Ahhh the should I buy it now Tesla Quandary! Certainly a concern from the hardware side of things....

Sometimes history is a good teacher.... if you go to the Wiki in my signature line you can follow the changes over time. Whenever possible, I note the month and year of the hardware changes as we here on TMC become aware of them and they are confirmed. So if you analyze the past changes you could perhaps get a sense as to when Tesla modifies the Model S with new features or go-to-market options changes. How Ever, I kind of feel that Tesla would try to keep the number of changes to the S down during the Model X ramp up.

Good Luck with your order and keep us posted here as to what your progress is.

There is a poll in this thread Model X design studio is here! What to expect for Model S?
Basically, I recommend waiting at least 12 more days, until September 29.

There's a chance you'll know what new goodies the Model X brings on the 29th, there's a chance you won't. If you do know then you can decide if you want to wait for months on end for them to trickle down to the Model S.

Also, that poll is biased, as you posted it in the Model X subsection. If you posted it in the Model S subsection, I bet you'd get a lot more "No" answers ;)

The next big change that is likely to happen within 2-3 months is that 85 kWh models will be discontinued. If you are planning buying an 85 instead 90, you need to decide how you would feel to own a discontinued model shortly after the car is delivered or even before it is delivered. If you are fine with that, then no problem but be aware that the 85's might be discontinued soon.

Last edited:
... Does anybody know why they started adding auto-pilot hardware to all cars, regardless? That seems wild to me. ...
Probably for the same reason that Supercharging hardware was put on all cars...the hardware itself just isn't that expensive. People get "safety" features based on the sensors even if they don't pony up for autopilot. Plus there's always to opportunity to sell an owner autopilot after it finally comes out and they see how cool it is. Also, cars that are traded in and become CPO cars will presumably have it turned on, as they get Supercharging turned on now.

Tesla will never wait -- to incorporate a new feature -- for the sake of an arbitrary time stamp. If it improves the machine, it becomes available to the public.
This is exactly why I'm waiting for the Model X to come out.

If it makes production easier to have one autopilot sensor suite, they will very likely switch the Model S to use the same (probably newer) system as the Model X.

This is exactly why I'm waiting for the Model X to come out.

If it makes production easier to have one autopilot sensor suite, they will very likely switch the Model S to use the same (probably newer) system as the Model X.
That's what I'm hoping too. It wouldn't make sense to keep installing two different kinds of autopilot hardware if they could install the same on both models. Keep your fingers crossed!

I think you just have to get comfortable with the fact that, sometime after you buy your car, they are going to come out with something better. Otherwise, you'd have to just keep on waiting forever. I suspect there will always be the promise of something good around teh corner.

Probably for the same reason that Supercharging hardware was put on all cars...the hardware itself just isn't that expensive. People get "safety" features based on the sensors even if they don't pony up for autopilot. Plus there's always to opportunity to sell an owner autopilot after it finally comes out and they see how cool it is. Also, cars that are traded in and become CPO cars will presumably have it turned on, as they get Supercharging turned on now.

I think this is it - emergency braking is probably done with the radar and/or mobileye, so even if the buyer doesn't want auto-pilot they need this equipment. So there's no way they can leave it off. I'm glad Telsa has added the safety features - if they didn't they would be woefully behind other car companies. I had an inkling I was making a mistake when I bought my 2013 car, without TACC or emergency braking on such an expensive car. I know many people on this site are perfectly happy with their early models, but the OP raised a good point - to wait or not to wait - and sometimes waiting is the correct answer - for some people. I still say wait as long as you can stand it, then buy. At this moment in time it would be crazy to buy without seeing and driving the Model X, just to compare ride, comfort, features, etc...