Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to purchase a Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So located and priced out a used 2016 90D model x at a good price and I am rest to pull the trigger. I also have the option to get a 2017 75D for about the same price. Both will have AP 1.0. Would like to hear which one I should go with and why? Reason for asking the question is due to the rumored and reported 90 kWh battery packs prematurely degrading too fast.

Thanks in advance

So located and priced out a used 2016 90D model x at a good price and I am rest to pull the trigger. I also have the option to get a 2017 75D for about the same price. Both will have AP 1.0. Would like to hear which one I should go with and why? Reason for asking the question is due to the rumored and reported 90 kWh battery packs prematurely degrading too fast.

Thanks in advance
No such thing as a 2017 with AP1.0 as AP2.0 came out in October 2016.

• Informative
Reactions: 1375mlm and shrfu31
I have a March 2016 X 90D. Haven't really had much issues with degradation. Still get over 250 miles on a full charge (257 miles when new). Only minor repair issues, mainly the acceleration shutter mentioned in other threads requiring the front half shafts be replaced. But that's apparently common for all Model X's. Other than that, love the car. No issues with the falcon wing doors or anything like that.

Anecdotally, I have a friend with a September 2016 X 60D which had HVAC fail, and a friend with a 2018 X 75D which died in the middle of the road a few times.

One difference: A 75 will have a max SuperCharging rate of ~100kW, whereas a 90 will max out at ~120kW. It just means the 75 SuperCharges 1/6 slower. Had I known this when I got my S, I would have opted for the larger battery (something I did when we got the X).

Reactions: 1375mlm
So I purchased a Used 2016 P90D - my current max is 234 miles, and 212 miles (at 90%, the recommended daily charge), 16K on the clock
This was despite the claimed 250 miles on the purchase sheet - I still got a great deal, but if range is an issue, you might want to consider going for a newer model.
Looking at the other threads, that seems to expected by Tesla

But what that really amounts to in the cold (I see you are in NY) is that when I get in my car in the morning, pre conditioned for 10 mins, it says 212-210 miles, but when I get to work 8 miles away, it's already down to 186 miles or so.

In the end, I decided to stick with mine because it came with free Supercharging for life so hopefully can drive this car for long and really abuse that but if I had to do it over, I may gone for a different / newer battery pack option

If you buy an AP1, it is guaranteed that you will have to upgrade. I would look for an early AP2 where full self driving was purchased. When it is activated, the early purchasers will most likely get a free hardware upgrade bringing the X to future standards. An AP1 X is locked in and depreciating with every minute that passes.

BTW...I have 37k miles with 2% depreciation on the battery. I get 254 miles on a full charge.

Eh, I kind of disagree on the AP1/AP2 thing. At least with AP1 you know exactly what you are getting. It's locked and final. There might be a few super minor tweaks going forward, but basically it's a done product. That said, it's actually a very solid product. It has limitations, but as basically an enhanced lane keeping super cruise tool it works really really well. Also as a bonus the X with AP1 has a hardware rain sensor, so the auto wipers actually work.

AP2 is all over the place depending on the software revision currently out. Yea it has legs, but to move it forward you're going to have to buy FSD and pay for a hardware upgrade.

I'd drive the hell out of a AP1 car for a few years, and once AP2 (or 3, or 4) is solid, then probably upgrade.

Agree with @Fiver. AP1 is solid. I drive AP1 and AP2 regularly and right now I still prefer AP1 due to it’s consistency. With AP2, I’m still getting a lot of phantom braking, and lane changes are annoyingly slow. It’ll get better in the coming months, but for now I feel more comfortable with AP1.

Eh, I kind of disagree on the AP1/AP2 thing. At least with AP1 you know exactly what you are getting. It's locked and final. There might be a few super minor tweaks going forward, but basically it's a done product. That said, it's actually a very solid product. It has limitations, but as basically an enhanced lane keeping super cruise tool it works really really well. Also as a bonus the X with AP1 has a hardware rain sensor, so the auto wipers actually work.

AP2 is all over the place depending on the software revision currently out. Yea it has legs, but to move it forward you're going to have to buy FSD and pay for a hardware upgrade.

I'd drive the hell out of a AP1 car for a few years, and once AP2 (or 3, or 4) is solid, then probably upgrade.

This is my sentiment exactly after reading on these forums.

AP1 > AP2

I disagree having owned an AP1 Model S and now having an AP2.5 Model X... There are several places AP1 always had problems with that AP2.5 handles just fine. My only real complaint on AP2.5 is the cars insistence it center itself no matter what... This is absurd when on-ramps are combining with the freeway and the car wants to jump over 10 ft just to "center" itself...

Jeff

I think it's just with AP1 you know exactly what you are getting. Yea there might be some places it doesn't handle well, but once you go though them, you know it doesn't handle that area and take over. For most people, who pretty much only drive a set area or commute, you learn these places and beyond that, it works great. AP2 does have legs, but all things being equal, you drive a "rough" area 10 times, and you get 10 different outcomes. Each time successful, but still, each time you wonder if it will make it.

Then a software update comes out, and the problem area vanishes, but suddenly a new one crops up in a entirely new area.

Then it rains and your wipers suck because of the camera based wiper detection. I really can't believe Tesla removed a $5 rain sensor without a compatible replacement software piece even remotely close to ready.

agreed.

I had a rental 90D December before I got my 100D. I had also rented the same one in August. There was a huge difference in battery capacity and charging speed between the two rentals. The owner told me that the charge speed degradation was confirmed by Tesla as being a safety measure when the car had too many charge cycles on it.

As I was on a long trip and about to buy my own, I asked Tesla, and the sales guy said it was only an issue with the 90, no other model. Take it for what it’s worth - secondhand rumour posted on the Internet and a single anecdote. But I know that I had to stop and charge for SIGNIFICANTLY (eg factor of two) longer intervals in December than I did in August - not just because of increased consumption, but also because the charge was limited to something like 60kW.

My new 100, on the other hand, is completely different, elegant beast. ;)

So I purchased a Used 2016 P90D - my current max is 234 miles, and 212 miles (at 90%, the recommended daily charge), 16K on the clock
This was despite the claimed 250 miles on the purchase sheet - I still got a great deal, but if range is an issue, you might want to consider going for a newer model.
Looking at the other threads, that seems to expected by Tesla

But what that really amounts to in the cold (I see you are in NY) is that when I get in my car in the morning, pre conditioned for 10 mins, it says 212-210 miles, but when I get to work 8 miles away, it's already down to 186 miles or so.

In the end, I decided to stick with mine because it came with free Supercharging for life so hopefully can drive this car for long and really abuse that but if I had to do it over, I may gone for a different / newer battery pack option
I have a 2016 model x 75d maxing out at 210 full charge. Ami eligible for a battery swap?