Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to switch to Tesla Insurance for much less in premium......any catch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMCers, I am thinking of switching to Tesla Insurance quoted Six Month Premium: $1834.89. From my current Travelers, it's $2733.80 I also checked Geico and it's $2361. Pretty much same coverage for 3 cars. Why is it so much cheaper with Tesla Insurance? Any catch? Should I do it? I've good experience with Traveler and Geico claims before with non-Tesla cars . Thank you for any input.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
Have you checked State Farm? They're by far the cheapest for me in both Texas and Florida with mine. I signed up for Tesla Insurance briefly but the default price it gave me was $137/m. After 24 hours of driving, calmly, to see what the modified estimate was after driving around, it went up to $350~/mo. Immediately called and cancelled before the original price was ever charged. Stuck with State Farm ever since. Progressive is also very similarly prices to State Farm, but slightly more. Still cheaper than everyone else for me.

Upvote 0
Be careful! Tesla uses their Safety Score system to monitor your driving and your insurance rate will change based on how you drive. I enabled the Safety Score when I was waiting for the FSD beta and found it to be overly sensitive. If you enjoy driving your car you may find Tesla insurance to be more expensive.

Get a lot of input from others!
Be careful! Tesla uses their Safety Score system to monitor your driving and your insurance rate will change based on how you drive. I enabled the Safety Score when I was waiting for the FSD beta and found it to be overly sensitive. If you enjoy driving your car you may find Tesla insurance to be more expensive.

Get a lot of input from others!
It says it does not impact premium. I wonder if this applies to CA Tesla insurance drivers only?

Attachments

• 1026D1F8-D3A7-46CE-B6C2-7452A2438008.jpeg
    1026D1F8-D3A7-46CE-B6C2-7452A2438008.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 294
Reactions: Frozen
Upvote 0
Have you checked State Farm? They're by far the cheapest for me in both Texas and Florida with mine. I signed up for Tesla Insurance briefly but the default price it gave me was $137/m. After 24 hours of driving, calmly, to see what the modified estimate was after driving around, it went up to $350~/mo. Immediately called and cancelled before the original price was ever charged. Stuck with State Farm ever since. Progressive is also very similarly prices to State Farm, but slightly more. Still cheaper than everyone else for me.
I did not check State farm.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Frozen
Upvote 0
It says it does not impact premium. I wonder if this applies to CA Tesla insurance drivers only?
If you are in CA I do not believe it uses safety score. With that being said, I am VERY VERY VERY VERY against any of these "snapshot" monitoring type things, so safety score is a non starter to me even if it doesnt use it for insurance pricing directly. Its one of the reasons I never applied for FSD beta even though I have FSD on my car.

Anyway, check costco connect , which seems to be BY FAR the cheapest in general, in CA, for tesla's. I switched to costco connect from metlife (who I swapped to from AAA insurance) and with 2 teslas (a model 3 and Y performance) the cost was about $700 a year cheaper.

Reactions: Nikon201068
Upvote 0
If you are in CA I do not believe it uses safety score. With that being said, I am VERY VERY VERY VERY against any of these "snapshot" monitoring type things, so safety score is a non starter to me even if it doesnt use it for insurance pricing directly. Its one of the reasons I never applied for FSD beta even though I have FSD on my car.

Anyway, check costco connect , which seems to be BY FAR the cheapest in general, in CA, for tesla's. I switched to costco connect from metlife (who I swapped to from AAA insurance) and with 2 teslas (a model 3 and Y performance) the cost was about $700 a year cheaper.
Thank you

Upvote 0
^^^ I didn't mean to send that message, I thought I'd have a chance to edit it after registering.

Anyway, I'm a contractor. My home state offers Tesla Insurance but some of the states I work in do not. If I'm out of state for long periods of time, will Tesla cancel my insurance? Will being away from my insured state affect my Tesla insurance score? I'm on the verge of buying one and I'm trying to get all the grown-up details in order.

Off-topic, how do I edit a post so I don't have to double-post?

Upvote 0
The catch is they'll jack up your rates an insane amount upon 1st renewal.
Mine went up like 240% (lol) and I decided to dump Tesla go with Costco's insurance provider (American Family Insurance?). I'll be paying ~10% more going with Costco, but now I won't have to worry about stupid FCA's dinging my driving score (or a driving score period) and Elon having all my driving data. When Tesla was 50-60% cheaper, the Big Brother surveillance was worth dealing with, but not when there is barely any savings anymore.

That and the horror stories of people trying to file claims through Tesla...no thanks.

Reactions: KuramaKitsune
Upvote 0
Problem 1: The companies that offer insurance based on mileage and safety score have much lower rates (if you don't drive a lot of miles). But they require you plug in a nanny to the ODB II port and Tesla doesn't have one, as such. State Farm quoted me the same rate for a Tesla as my Kia that I traded for it. They even added the Tesla to my policy so it would be covered when I picked it up. Then as soon as the deal closed and I dropped the Kia, State Farm then informed me that my insurance would actually be 20x the cost they originally quoted me. Yes, you can install an aftermarket ODB II port which work just fine, but then still won't offer the mileage / safety based rate on a Tesla? And of course Tesla will fight any warranty claim because of the mod, which could tragic.

Problem 2: Having got Tesla insurance anyway, you will find that their Safety Score software is even more buggy than their windshield wiper and headlight software. It will lower your score by 5 points for going through Burger King drive through. It will lower your safety score another 5 points for following too closely if you move the car out of the garage, whether or not there is even another car in sight. When the car attempts some evasive maneuver because it thought it saw a shadow and lunges into the oncoming traffic lane and you have to brake at least half as hard as the car routinely does, it will ding you another 5 points for 60% hard braking. In Texas, but apparently not in California, each point is another 10% or so on your premium, so it can quickly climb to much more than even State Farm's gouge.

On the good side, Tesla does not use the State Farm software. It has the interesting feature of combing the Texas DPS data base looking for licensed drivers who live at the same address as you and are NOT insured with State Farm and if it finds any matches, automatically adds them to your policy, with or without your consent, even against your specific instructions and increases your premium. The catch is that State Farm modifies the Texas DPS address, before testing for a match, e.g., if your address is 1234 Main Street, Apt 273, San Antonio Texas 78245 - - State farm will truncate the apartment number, changing the addresses to 1234 Main Street, San Antonio Texas 78245. Then every licensed driver who lives in that building, but is not insured with State Farm will be added to your policy. State Farm's story is, this is forced upon them by federal law and they are helpless to do anything about it. (With legal action it is possible to cancel and get a full refund.)

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
Upvote 0