Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to take delivery in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I'm looking to take delivery of my Model S 60D in the next few weeks, finally!

I've read about common issues at delivery but wondered if there was a more UK based source of info for delivery checks.
Common issues to keep an eye out for.
I'm looking to get mine professionally detailed before I drive it properly (other than the drive back from Gatwick). But not sure what the situation is if there are issues with alignment, or paint, or dents etc in transit. Do I have to wait weeks for parts to be shipped for repair etc?
I'm chopping in an Audi S5, although looking to sell privately if I can before collecting. However I don't want to accept delivery if there are problems that need fixing, so don't want to be without a car and have heard that tesla give some non-tesla loaners which wouldn't be ideal to me.
For an £80k car I'm looking for things to be perfect. My £50k Audi was perfect except a small paint chip so I'm expecting a similar situation, but have read stories of doors not aligning and Windsor / door seals not fitting properly!

Also does the tesla mobile app work anytime before / during delivery or do you have to wait a while for it to be activated?

Also what freebies should you expect. I see lots about a goodies bag / umbrella etc ?

Tia !

This is worth a read:

Things to check when you pick up your Tesla

I guess it all depends what the faults are as to how quickly they can be sorted. I'm no expert but I would think door alignment should be sortable while you wait, if the workshop is not too busy.

Reading the various reports on the Facebook group can lead one to think some of the cars are handed over in a poor state compared to what you'd expect given the money spent. Certainly the quarter/year end rush puts crazy pressure on the centre, so you will be spared that.

I'm also picking up from Gatwick, and coming from Lexus I have high dealer expectations, possibly too high as Tesla is new to the game. However, I will be providing my DS with Will's checklist and maybe a couple of my own based on what I've picked up. I'll be doing this a good few days before handover so there can't be any surprise when I ask to hear the audio satisfactorily coming from all the speakers, as an example.

Having said all of that, even those who have had less than perfect handovers still have a big Tesla grin that won't go away.

Keep us posted!

Thanks for the info. Are you sending them the list and asking them to do the checks, then you double check their checks I guess on collection?

Still awaiting approval to join the facebook group, requested only a few days ago so should hopefully be done soon.

Do they do any form of detail on the car before collection? I was going to spend another few hundred on a protection detail to protect the paintwork, leathers etc..

Thanks for the info. Are you sending them the list and asking them to do the checks, then you double check their checks I guess on collection?

Still awaiting approval to join the facebook group, requested only a few days ago so should hopefully be done soon.

Do they do any form of detail on the car before collection? I was going to spend another few hundred on a protection detail to protect the paintwork, leathers etc..

I will probably send them the checklist and run through them at the handover. As far as I know there is no detailing done but I haven't checked on this, it's still a bit early in my journey!

As far as I know there is no detailing done
Correct.

@MathTek, if you're getting paint protection put on, I would ask your detailer to also do paint correction first to remove swirls etc. At delivery, I would concentrate on any paint issues your detailer won't correct. There were two very minor paint problems on my car (collected in Sep 2016), which I didn't spot at collection. My detailer showed them to me, but only after the protection had been put on my car.

I'm looking to get mine professionally detailed before I drive it properly (other than the drive back from Gatwick)

I took the car directly to detailer, within a dozen miles, to have it wrapped, They said to accept the car if there was nothing obviously wrong and that they would take care of getting the paint into tip top condition (i.e. they would prefer to do that as "that's our job" and presumably doubted that whatever Tesla did would meet their standards). My [researched] opinion was that Tesla paint over aluminium is less robust, and of course the car is expensive, coupled with the fact that it seemed pointless to let it look anything less than perfect, hence I had it wrapped. Although I have owned prestigious vehicles in the past latterly cars have been strictly A-to-B for us, and our "fleet" retains whatever dents they have accrued and get washed when it rains! Whereas the Tesla has a visit from a Valet service once a month (definitely a new first for us!)

For an £80k car I'm looking for things to be perfect.

FWIW I didn't find any fault with the car at collection - may just be that I'm not fussy enough though!

does the tesla mobile app work anytime before / during delivery or do you have to wait a while for it to be activated?

Pretty sure that it is activated at, or shortly after, collection. I don't remember any significant delay, but it might be that I hadn't even downloaded / installed it at the time of collection. (But I do remember disabling Valet mode using the APP whilst the car was at the detailers [they were impressed!] so they could open the bonnet for wrapping, which was probably only 24 hours or so after collection. I also kept checking location of the car to see when it moved from car park into, and through, their facility :)

I don't want to accept delivery if there are problems that need fixing, so don't want to be without a car

One option might be? to accept delivery but having made an arrangement for the car to be sorted at your convenience - that would include Tesla collecting it (i.e. on a trailer) and dropping off a Tesla loaner for you. That enables Tesla to fit the work in at a time that they have a suitable Loaner available etc. etc. and you avoiding any disappointment of being able to drive-it-away (and as Bjorn likes to say "Driving it like you stole it" :) )

I will probably send them the checklist and run through them at the handover. As far as I know there is no detailing done but I haven't checked on this, it's still a bit early in my journey!

I shall follow DJP31's lead on this and email Gatwick a copy of 'Things to check when you pick up your Tesla' and I will ask them to let me know about any niggles before I set a date to collect. I would prefer it if any such problems are rectified before collection, even if collection is delayed by a few days.

I shall follow DJP31's lead on this and email Gatwick a copy of 'Things to check when you pick up your Tesla' and I will ask them to let me know about any niggles before I set a date to collect. I would prefer it if any such problems are rectified before collection, even if collection is delayed by a few days.

Spot on. IMO it's only because the car is so damn good, and there is no competition, that new owners put up with the, at times, very poor handover. The sweeping reveal with the silver sheet is great, and that is all part of the new car buzz, but not if one of the alloy wheels has writing all over it and a scuff on the bumper:eek:, to name just two problems one chap faced last week.

The staff are under crazy pressure at each quarter end, and I'm certainly not blaming them per se, not do I have anything to say about Gatwick that isn't good, but Tesla as a whole have to improve on this aspect before they try to go mainstream with the 3.

Correct.

@MathTek, if you're getting paint protection put on, I would ask your detailer to also do paint correction first to remove swirls etc. At delivery, I would concentrate on any paint issues your detailer won't correct. There were two very minor paint problems on my car (collected in Sep 2016), which I didn't spot at collection. My detailer showed them to me, but only after the protection had been put on my car.
I'm assuming that's things like deep scratches and missing paint? Since light swirling etc.. can be solved by the detailed.

Yep. In my case, the two things I didn't notice were:

1) a small area on the bonnet that was missing the top coat of lacquer
2) a 'pimple' under the paint on the rear panel, where I presume a small particle of something was stuck on the car when the paint was applied.

+1 Think I will do the same and then double check their checks!
I'm not always that detailed in my checks, but my detailer will quickly pick up on any paint defects.

I just like the idea of them fixing it before I hand over a wad of cash since it's easier to argue over price before paying vs after! And after picking up a brand new car, I'd hate to think that I have to hand it back over in a few days or few weeks time for them to fix something that shouldn't have been there to begin with.
I haggled a little over some missing paint on my current Audi, then got fed up of haggling and decided that I didn't want to hand my brand new pride and joy back over to someone so just put up with it in the end.

What about goodies? Assume it should be fully charged (Can I ask to 100% for a S60D?), any other cools things like jackets?

+1 Think I will do the same and then double check their checks!
I'm not always that detailed in my checks, but my detailer will quickly pick up on any paint defects.

I just like the idea of them fixing it before I hand over a wad of cash since it's easier to argue over price before paying vs after! And after picking up a brand new car, I'd hate to think that I have to hand it back over in a few days or few weeks time for them to fix something that shouldn't have been there to begin with.
I haggled a little over some missing paint on my current Audi, then got fed up of haggling and decided that I didn't want to hand my brand new pride and joy back over to someone so just put up with it in the end.

What about goodies? Assume it should be fully charged (Can I ask to 100% for a S60D?), any other cools things like jackets?

I think it should be fully charged, but there have been plenty of instances when that hasn't been the case, so worth stipulating the point. At very busy times and where there aren't Superchargers, e.g. Gatwick, 100 % might not be possible. Personally 80/90% would be nice but 50% would be fine.

As far as goodies go, don't get your hopes up. I think their general stance is that they don't give stuff away, you are paying for the car, if you want a jacket, well, buy it . Maybe a brolly and a mug. Frankly I'd happily have nothing but a properly tested and prepared car, and not need to collate a snagging list as sometimes seems to be the case.

As always, the negative stories hit the news, the uneventful ones that go without a hitch fly under the radar.

Assume it should be fully charged

Definitely ask for that if you have far to go. They charged mine whilst the delivery guy was going through the handover, but there appeared to be only one cable in the showroom, and another handover started soon after mine and I have no idea if that guy got any charge ... or not ... :)

They gave me a mug and a brolly. The mug looks nice, but is not the sort of type that I like to drink out of, so I've left it boxed as Swag for the next owner :)

As always, the negative stories hit the news, the uneventful ones that go without a hitch fly under the radar.

+1