Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to take the plunge, what options to equip.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting pretty close to placing a deposit on a new X this week. With all the Q3 specials drying up, I figure I probably need to order a new one soon as I want delivery before end of the year. While I have the budget to get all the options I want, but I don't like to spend this much money on a car. Still, passion wins over common sense. Anyway here is what I have decided on ordering

MX 75D
EAP
Metallic paint

Leather seats is probably what I am going to go with as the car looks a little cheap with the cloth, plus I carry dogs in my cars. Therefore it is probably better to just get it as they are easier to clean. Did anyone regret the leather over the cloth, I am leaning toward the cream over the white.

The seat selection is probably the toughest one for me. Our family likes the 6 seat configuration the best. While we don't need to have 6 seats, but it sure is nice to have it. Still, is $6000 worth the seat to you guys? If this was $3K like the 7 seater, I would probably do it. I am having a tough time squeezing the trigger when the car is probably 10K over what i want to spend already. How to equip the car and the pending Oct 15th upgrade is preventing me from clicking on the order button right now. I entered all the info and got cold feet a few minutes ago!

While an update is sure to come, it’s not certain when and they do not need to pull that sales trigger right now but then again it could be October 1. It will probably cost more initially. Every day driving and EV is a day not driving in ICE.
The six and seven seat configurations have rear HVAC as well which adds to that cost and cuts into range but can be important for any short people or animals who might be in the back. The six seat configuration middle seats do not fold which might be an issue for caring capacity.
You can get the basic color and then change it with a wrap since you may want to be putting paint protection on anyway.
The premium interior is not leather but the new vegan material.
Shop the CPO list with your sales person, they seem to have access to a bigger list than is on the website at any one time. Settle on your preferences and give them a call.

I have the six seater and do not need 6 seats really, but the main reason for this choice was the 2 main seats in second row, they are great and very comfortable. We also have the center console, which I took, as the car was from inventory, but am of 2 minds about this option and would probably not have ordered it, but I do like having it.

All good points above. What October upgrade are you talking about? Tons of rumors, nothing confirmed, and we’ve not even heard that one is coming this soon.

If you need extra space, you might look at the new 7 seater (fold down middle row), but the seats don’t move automatically, so, that’s an issue for the third row. It’s all about how you will (ever) use the third row. The rear AC is a major factor for those in the back as was noted.

I like my 6 seater, but I'd have a hard time paying the premium for the 6 seater over the new 7 seater. And since you mentioned transporting your dogs, the 7 seater is probably best since you can put the 3rd row seats down and keep the dogs back there. Plus, with the 7 seater can the 5, you'll get the additional AC vents in the very back for your dogs.

I personally don't like the tan leather seats. For some reason they just don't look that nice to me. The white looks awesome, and from what the Tesla sales reps have told me, it holds up better than the white in the showrooms. The cloth seats are actually very nice too. Much nicer than most cars with cloth seats.

I have a YouTube video where I talk about the different options and my opinion on them. Even though this video is just a few months old, it's a little outdated because Tesla rolled all of the stuff together into the PUP.

There is no update. It’s all speculation.

I would get the 6 seater because of the seats. More room. AC Vents. The coolness factor and comfort.

A little over your budget, I understand but not like you will be spending over 100k on a car all the time

Some good advice here... the CPO cars could save you a few bucks and compensate for the options you want. The cloth seats are amazing - I really like them. The concern with dogs and the leather would be tearing from claws unless you plan to keep them in the back. We have a medium-sized dog and the 6-seater is great because he climbs in the Falcon Door and sits in the middle of the floor between the two middle seats. Easy in-out and no scratched bumper from all the in-out to the trunk (which is pretty high up).

Good luck and share your new vehicle pics when you get it!

The white looks awesome, and from what the Tesla sales reps have told me, it holds up better than the white in the showrooms. The cloth seats are actually very nice too. Much nicer than most cars with cloth seats.

I have the white seats in my Model X and I like them better than the leather seats in my Model S. No wrinkles like in the leather seats and they seem easy to clean. I also agree they look very impressive, very modern and clean look.

It’s a shame the monopost 2nd row doesn’t fold flat but even still you can haul a lot of stuff with the third row folded. Longer items can go down the middle. For people who have 6-seat with the console, is it that much nicer for passengers to have an arm rest? It’s kind of histerical to have four cup holders adjacent to one another.

The problem with the 7-seater is the wall of seats feels claustrophobic. Rear passengers are more comfortable in the 6-seater without the console IME. IF you have small children it’s nice to be able to traverse in between the 2nd row seats.

If your SJ location means San Jose (not south Jersey ) then you won’t miss the PUP, but heated seats & steering wheel is really nice in 4-season locations.

Yes to EAP, no to FSD. Who knows if it’ll ever get approved & the delta to do it years later is only $1K.

In love with our non PUP 5 seater 75D with the only options being Midnight Silver Metallic paint and EAP.

I was worried about the base seats but they are AWESOME! Also the new 0-60 on the later builds is incredibly quick for a a base 75D. (Seriously, WAY faster than our previous 2014 Model S 60!)

So much is now included with the base MX I did not really see a need for PUP though a heated steering wheel *should* be standard and I feel upgraded audio should be left out of PUP.

I went with the new 7 seat configuration, mainly for the rear air-con but also for added seating flexibility e.g. kids friends, grandparents etc. 6 seat looks cool and gives amazing rear seat access (without the centre console) but I couldn't justify the cost for our use. But if I was going to use the rear row seats daily then I would probably have paid for the 6 seats. I did pay for PUP as I wanted the best sound system and the HEPA filters etc and the winter pack will be quite useful. But PUP is really hard to justify on price alone! My spec FWIW is:-

X75D
Pearl White
Standard 20" wheels
7 seats
White premium interior with carbon trim
PUP
EAP

If I had to drop anything to keep the cost down it would be the 7 seats and the PUP, which actually saves a ton of cash!

When I ordered mine (September 13th), this is what I got and ill explain why

1. Model X 100D (have a Model S 75D (June Build) and the range on it daily gets to the bottom 20% mostly everyday and I just need more range, there are times when i need to charge and move, on. Becomes inconvenient
  2. Midnight silver metallic
  3. White Seats
  4. Standard 20" wheels (gonna go with aftermarket or the referral 22" when I get them)
  5. 6 Seat with Center Console (went back and forth on the 7 seat vs 6 seat. The 7 seat with the manual seats seems archaic and has someone mentioned the 3rd row felt a little tight. The center console is good for having an arm rest and a place to put drinks)
  6. PUP (mainly got this for the sound system, the standard system sucked, the rest of the stuff i truly could live without)
  7. EAP (its fun, i love it for showing people but right now 2.0 is so useless. I drove a AP 1 car and that was far more useful, right now)
I have not taken delivery of the car yet, its gonna be another 2 weeks but when I get it its going to be awesome. Really this car was a "stretch" by about 30k (without the tax credit) but one think I learned about cars is that get what you want. I drive about 700 miles or more a week and spend alot of time in the car for me to now get what i want.

If you want to take delivery by end of the year, why not wait until December to get an inventory? It sounds like you are open to inventory vehicles. Q4 is still before end of year. Or do you think inventory being dried up in Q3 means no more inventory for Q4? I don't think that's the case. They'll start accumulating for Q4 end. GL.

You don’t ‘know’ there isn’t an update just as much as we don’t ‘know’ there is an update.
Just saying - but so many negatives in that sentence ugh, grammar police be kind

We have 6 seater in production, man I loved how open so I’ll second the rest of that post ;)

I would get the 6 seater because of the seats. More room. AC Vents. The coolness factor and comfort.

A little over your budget, I understand but not like you will be spending over 100k on a car all the time

Might want to give some context that you have a car being built now.

Writing is on the wall for a (probably major) update.

I missed out on 2.0 by days, and just want to share my experience with others. No agenda.