Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About version numbers...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the relationship between "7.0", "8.0" or "8.1" and "17.7.2" or "2.52.120"?

These are very different numbers in different ranges... Are they on independent aspects of the system, or are they different ways of describing the version of the same whole firmware stack? Is there a translation table somewhere?

7.1 and 8.0 are versions, with a major (7, 8) and minor (0, 1) component. Most software has something like that. With Tesla a software version corresponds to a UI design and a set of supported features.

A number like 2.52.120 is a build number. These are specific to Tesla. In themselves they don't tell us anything except when the software was built. We can also say that the build number always increases, so a higher number is newer. However not all builds go to all vehicles: there seem to be builds that only go to cars with specific options, and other builds that might go to a random sample of all vehicles. Then there are builds that see wide release to all vehicles.

Specific to 8.0, the first number is the year: 2=2016, then 17=2017 because they changed the system. The second number seems to be the week in the year. So "8.0 (2.52.x)" was built late in December 2016 and "8.0 (17.7.x)" was built last week. The third number is probably just a sequence. Pre-8.0 the build numbers always seemed to start with "2", and I'm not sure if the second number was the week.

More info: Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

More detail than you probably want: Software versioning - Wikipedia

Reactions: Jonas_man
I should have stated: I'm a software engineer so I do know how version numbers work :).

The fact that they changed the version/build labelling scheme explains 90% of my confusion, and now that I understand this I can finally make sense of the Tesla Firmware tracker app. The remaining confusion stemmed from the fact that the full version string is never actually displayed anywhere that I've seen. In some systems, you can at least infer the major/minor from the build version string, so I was hoping something like that would be possible. In a system where the build version string primarily represents build date, you can't really do that, unless there is a strict across the board transition to new version. It's pretty rare that the old version needs no updates after the new version is initially released.

According to ev-fw.com, it does look like 2.36.31 was the last build of 7.1, and 2.36.106 was the first released build of 8.0. That's an impressively clean break. Much easier to see that now that I know they are all date-based strings. :)

Thanks!

Reactions: Jonas_man
The remaining confusion stemmed from the fact that the full version string is never actually displayed anywhere that I've seen

Don't you see the full version string after selecting the "T" on the MCU menu?

The best image I could find is from 7.0, but I don't think it's changed much in 8.0.

Tesla-Easter-Egg-42-Unlocked-Touchscreen.jpg

Oddly the iOS app only displays the build number....

Don't you see the full version string after selecting the "T" on the MCU menu?

The best image I could find is from 7.0, but I don't think it's changed much in 8.0.

Tesla-Easter-Egg-42-Unlocked-Touchscreen.jpg

Oddly the iOS app only displays the build number....
The api only reports the build number actually. My guess is that v8 and v7 is just a marketing version. So not really important to report.