Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABRP Battery Degradation Comparison Post / Poll

Do you feel your degradation matches your expectation?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So its a rather hot topic here and there now seems to be a clear report of degradation from the car via ABRP when connected to your Tesla with software version. I wondered if people would be interested is posting their cars stats up and see if there is a trend. I rarely super charge so 85% of my charging has been from home. I have 1.4% in 4889 miles. It seems quite low for the first year so far. ( I know lockdown didn't help for normal use )

676711A0-B8B0-4ADE-BE92-34B2F08190E5.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
So its a rather hot topic here and there now seems to be a clear report of degradation from the car via ABRP when connected to your Tesla with software version. I wondered if people would be interested is posting their cars stats up and see if there is a trend. I rarely super charge so 85% of my charging has been from home. I have 1.4% in 4889 miles. It seems quite low for the first year so far. ( I know lockdown didn't help for normal use )

View attachment 555674
That's interesting. I wonder how it calculates deg? Mine is showing zero deg, which makes some sense since I'm always getting 308 to 312miles as my rated range:
IMG_6266.jpeg

Just did a 365mile r/t yesterday, mostly 75 to 80mph, with avg eff of 260Wh/mi.

How did you get to that screen showing the battery degradation in A Better Route planner?

Make sure you have the latest version of the app. Try refreshing your info from the car for consumption and battery charge level. It should also tell you how man kwh your battery is. Like below.

That's interesting. I wonder how it calculates deg? Mine is showing zero deg, which makes some sense since I'm always getting 308 to 312miles as my rated range:
View attachment 555698
Just did a 365mile r/t yesterday, mostly 75 to 80mph, with avg eff of 260Wh/mi.

Possible to charge it up to 90% and see if it makes a difference? I have not tried 100 but it seems the car does know the total. Check the last entry.

23B0EE83-F5E1-45E9-9B9F-B877F376C3B4.jpeg

@KenC I still don't know how to "calibrate your reference consumption" inside the app.

Does it make a difference that I haven't driven the car and I just download and install the app?

I have an account logged in and connected to the car. Then under settings click the blue departure SOC and Reference consumption off then on back to blue. This refreshes as does planning a route on the latest data. Great app!

@KenC I still don't know how to "calibrate your reference consumption" inside the app.

Does it make a difference that I haven't driven the car and I just download and install the app?
Yeah, presumably you have to drive it in order for it to calibrate your reference consumption. Above 65mph for a period of time to get a stable reading would make the most sense.

Make sure you have the latest version of the app. Try refreshing your info from the car for consumption and battery charge level. It should also tell you how man kwh your battery is. Like below.

Possible to charge it up to 90% and see if it makes a difference? I have not tried 100 but it seems the car does know the total. Check the last entry.

View attachment 555758
61% is today. Yesterday, I started at 90% when I did my 365mile r/t. Looking at the Battery capacity number, like your screenshot, it shows: 75.93321
IMG_6267.jpeg

So these readings could very well go under an options tab on the car. This would stop all the guess work and show how much wear users have put on the cars with different driving and charing habits. Because I could imagine selling and if you can prove a good battery I am sure you will get a better sale. It would also be interesting to see if these options stay consistent during patches where people feel they lose range. Which might just be down to more accurate mileage with your driving or it recalibrate’s and the change would be show here as degradation would be a constant increase over time as would the capacity drop. See if others post for better comparisons. These are different cars for new times I think this is as important data as knowing the current milage of the cars because it represents true wear and tear like more milage would on an ICE and cam belt etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: DR Danny
I just did over 8 hours of driving yesterday with 3 supercharges and the first one I took to almost 100%, I noticed by chance eating my sandwich it went to 99% and then bounced back to 98% as if its capacity calculations had changed. Now I have higher capacity and less degradation under ABRP as a result of extra detected capacity. I left at 99% so not sure what the total max is.

54F5C3E1-EEAA-416F-B411-16AC278D9519.jpeg

910BD035-9EF7-43CA-B1FC-789368A92C31.jpeg

Reactions: KenC