Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABRP Curiousity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious about the logic for ABRP. If I'm driving 203 miles, why does it suggest a stop at 80 miles, to add charge?
I certainly expect to get 203 miles of range from my Model Y LR. Is it a case of two short charges vs one long charge?

Big picture - I'm driving beyond that point to get from Charlottesville, VA to Pinehurst. My preference is to arrive in Pinehurst with more than 11% charge.

Appreciate any comments. I'm still very new to ABRP, have only made one long trip with our MY and it was great.

Cheers,

I just estimated that route (Charlottesville, VA to Pinehurst, NC) in ABRP for my LR AWD w/ 19" geminis and it did something very similar, if I estimated leaving with 75%. If I estimated starting with 100%, it says I'd get to Pinehurst with ~15% and no charging stops. That actually strikes me as slightly optimistic.

Having said that, I think you are partially being limited by the location of charge stops along this route. Personally, I'd be tempted to add Cary as a waypoint to the route and charge to 100%. It'd change the route a little, but the stop in Cary should be close enough to your destination to make it pretty easy to get there with 50+% if you wanted to.

Reactions: KDeanCville
I played with ABRP using my MYP (so your MYLR will do better). Assuming you have no way to charge while you are in Pinehurst, it looks like you want to arrive with at least 27% to be able to safely reach the Siler City SC on your return trip. If you have 40% when you leave Pinehurst, you can get back to the Durham SC.

Reactions: KDeanCville
I’m going to bump this thread because I have a question I can’t seem to get a “firm” answer for even from the ABRP support guys. I’m hoping someone has real world experience to share.

Setting the stage…. Wifey, doggies and I are going to do a Pacific Northwest tour this summer in our newish MYLR with 20’s…. taking off in mid June so temps in the west will be warm. Starting in Santa Fe, NM. I’m going to have a roof top carrier, a Yakima Grand Tour 16 and 140 pound of dog, another say 300 pound of gear plus mama, 120ish…. So lets say we have the roof racks, rocket box and 500 pound of “extra weight”. I’ve been using live weather and speeds in the app and I’ve set a lower limit of arriving at charger of 20%. All of my legs are drivable but a few require lowered speeds as compared of to the speed limit so that brings me some concern since these are very remote areas with no additional charging points between start and finish including places like level II lcampgrounds Or non-tesla chargers.

So, my question…. How accurate is ABRP in taking into consideration the relatively extreme loads and vehicle configuration I’m considering? Has anyone used this app and had a similar configuration regarding carriers and weight? If so, what was your experience regarding the accuracy of the ABRP predictions?

I’ve set up the app to account for the extra weight and the rocket box and that has yielded the legs that require lowered speeds. On one leg between Santa Fe and Farmington NM even if I leave the last charger at 100% and reduce charge arrival to 10% I’m still having to lower speeds below speed limits. This is no place to run out of juice. Those familiar with the area will understand the many reasons for my concern. I have no issue arriving at 10% or driving 55 in a 65 if I’m sure I’ll land in Farmington without a tow.

Any actual related experience welcome…

I’m going to bump this thread because I have a question I can’t seem to get a “firm” answer for even from the ABRP support guys. I’m hoping someone has real world experience to share.

Setting the stage…. Wifey, doggies and I are going to do a Pacific Northwest tour this summer in our newish MYLR with 20’s…. taking off in mid June so temps in the west will be warm. Starting in Santa Fe, NM. I’m going to have a roof top carrier, a Yakima Grand Tour 16 and 140 pound of dog, another say 300 pound of gear plus mama, 120ish…. So lets say we have the roof racks, rocket box and 500 pound of “extra weight”. I’ve been using live weather and speeds in the app and I’ve set a lower limit of arriving at charger of 20%. All of my legs are drivable but a few require lowered speeds as compared of to the speed limit so that brings me some concern since these are very remote areas with no additional charging points between start and finish including places like level II lcampgrounds Or non-tesla chargers.

So, my question…. How accurate is ABRP in taking into consideration the relatively extreme loads and vehicle configuration I’m considering? Has anyone used this app and had a similar configuration regarding carriers and weight? If so, what was your experience regarding the accuracy of the ABRP predictions?

I’ve set up the app to account for the extra weight and the rocket box and that has yielded the legs that require lowered speeds. On one leg between Santa Fe and Farmington NM even if I leave the last charger at 100% and reduce charge arrival to 10% I’m still having to lower speeds below speed limits. This is no place to run out of juice. Those familiar with the area will understand the many reasons for my concern. I have no issue arriving at 10% or driving 55 in a 65 if I’m sure I’ll land in Farmington without a tow.

The weight won't really affect the range too much, but your roof box will affect it... (I take roadtrips every few weeks for work, sometimes alone, sometimes with 5 passengers).. I'd say drive around with and without your roofbox, and take note of your reported energy consumption, and maybe use that in ABRP to tweak the estimates... Another thing I remember. I forget with YT channel it was, but I remember a video where they did a test with a roofbox, and found if you mounted it backwards (had the front pointing rearwards), they actually had significant reduction in energy consumption.

Consensus seems to be that ABRP is quite accurate, I've used it for years. However, I'd compare with other similar apps. In my 7 years of Tesla road trips, I've found extra weight not a huge hit on range, but roof racks or roof carriers are a big hit on range. Many threads on this. Maybe you can find someone with a similar setup and their experience on the percentage decrease in range at highway speeds.

Are traveling to Farmington--or actually beyond? Where?

You could do a trial run with the same specs, to determine your kW/mi usage.

Reactions: SFNM Jack
The weight won't really affect the range too much, but your roof box will affect it... (I take roadtrips every few weeks for work, sometimes alone, sometimes with 5 passengers).. I'd say drive around with and without your roofbox, and take note of your reported energy consumption, and maybe use that in ABRP to tweak the estimates... Another thing I remember. I forget with YT channel it was, but I remember a video where they did a test with a roofbox, and found if you mounted it backwards (had the front pointing rearwards), they actually had significant reduction in energy consumption.
Yes, I’ve seen the video and read the guys analysis. Amazing but when you put it in the context of aeronautical engineering it makes perfect sense. Lot’s of disclaimers on safety but I‘don’t know exactly how it could make any difference in the safety space looking at the box. And the Yak opens from either side so no issues there. Thanks for the info on weight.

Last edited:
Are traveling to Farmington--or actually beyond? Where?
Farmington is the first stop on a 20 day trip that takes us all the way to Victoria Island and Vancouver in BC, Canada and then back down the CA coast. Lots of stops in between to fish in OR, climb in Washington, see some sights, drink some wine and pamper my wife at a couple of spas. We’ve been all over the country and the world but have never spent any quality time in the Northwest. Hoping to escape the fires by going a bit early and risking gloom but rather rain than smoke. The Farmington leg goes through literally no where. It’s a run that you even need to plan carefully for an ICE vehicle if you plan to do any side trips. Fuel is in very limited supply and the stations in between are can be dry on and off. When we used to take the 5th wheel to Chaco Canyon I’d bring and extra 25 gallons of fuel for the pickup and we’d burn it all getting back to the next reliable fuel.

Last edited:
Consensus seems to be that ABRP is quite accurate, I've used it for years. However, I'd compare with other similar apps. In my 7 years of Tesla road trips, I've found extra weight not a huge hit on range, but roof racks or roof carriers are a big hit on range. Many threads on this. Maybe you can find someone with a similar setup and their experience on the percentage decrease in range at highway speeds.
I agree here and for this question with the roof rack the OP needs to tweak ABRP and plug in the wh/mi with the roof rack and weight. It will take estimates for wind and road conditions as well. I like the accuracy of ABRP and have used it on 4 of my cars with great success even with only minor tweaks.

Reactions: SFNM Jack
I agree here and for this question with the roof rack the OP needs to tweak ABRP and plug in the wh/mi with the roof rack and weight. It will take estimates for wind and road conditions as well. I like the accuracy of ABRP and have used it on 4 of my cars with great success even with only minor tweaks.
Great info, thx…

Okay, I’m going to let my stupid out…. OP = operator? That would be me? I am using the ABRP configuration tool to add a cargo carrier and extra weight and had assumed the app made adjustment to wh/mi using the current vehicle performance as a baseline. Is that not so? If that is the case then the vehicle configuration tool is a joke Which I suspected because when I run the route through the app with and without the load and racks it changes little in range and lag distances. Anyhow, It appears from your post that I need to adjust watt hours per mile manually? Is that correct?

So I need to load up the box, throw some bricks in the trunk and see where I land an then make that adjustment in the wh/mi in the app, right?

Great info, thx…

Okay, I’m going to let my stupid out…. OP = operator? That would be me? I am using the ABRP configuration tool to add a cargo carrier and extra weight and had assumed the app made adjustment to wh/mi using the current vehicle performance as a baseline. Is that not so? If that is the case then the vehicle configuration tool is a joke Which I suspected because when I run the route through the app with and without the load and racks it changes little in range and lag distances. Anyhow, It appears from your post that I need to adjust watt hours per mile manually? Is that correct?

So I need to load up the box, throw some bricks in the trunk and see where I land an then make that adjustment in the wh/mi in the app, right?

OP = Original Post(er). (The first post in the thread, or the person who posted it).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Ciaopec
Great info, thx…

Yes, as @ItsNotAboutTheMoney said: OP, original poster. While you weren't the OP for the thread, I took you to be OP for your question in the thread.
And, yes, what you suggest is the most accurate way to get ABRP to give you the information you're looking for. You can sign up for an account and ABRP will take real time info from you car and plan that way. Slide the tab within the program for the advanced info you want to put in( departure state of charge (SOC), arrival SOC, reference energy consumption, driving speed, road conditions, etc.). If it thinks you're using 320Wh/mile I'm not sure it makes a big difference on its weight calculations. I suspect it thinks you're a genius at getting the most out of the car:). But the car itself should see a change in the Wh/mi with added weight and drag. Experiment and change those numbers with and without the weight change and see what happens and with and without the Wh/mi change.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H