Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABRP - how to use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I play cautious on temperature and wet driving so err on side of caution and thats always worked even if planned route is crap roads. I don't care about it being exact, I just want it to give me the route and stops to get me there on time. Any quicker is a bonus. Once on route, I use built in sat nav - just a shame it doesn't do waypoints or arrive at x with % charge (although someone recently suggested that it did but I didn't notice a follow up to say how).

If you run it on the Tesla browser during the trip, it will continue to update the planned vs. actual. So far, I've gotten it to work out pretty close and if anything, ABRP tends to be slightly conservative.

I tried this tonight and it totally failed as it consistently thought I was in Coperhagen rather than Bristol. No good for tracking my progress on the trip!

What did I miss?

Hmmm, perhaps someone can enlighten me. I have tried ABRP from time to time and found that for my long distance trips, it didn't do anything for me that the car and my smartphone doesn't already do. What am I missing here?
Two reasons:
1. Increased consumption due to over-speed (above reference)
2. Depth of Discharge (DoD)

#1 is self-explanatory.

#2 I personally like to be extra considerate to the long-term health of my battery. I elect to keep SOC between 25% and 80% when possible. ABRP will plan the most ideal supercharging stops accordingly.

I tried this tonight and it totally failed as it consistently thought I was in Coperhagen rather than Bristol. No good for tracking my progress on the trip!

What did I miss?

In car browser does not support location

You need to link ABRP to your Tesla account, then it will get your location via the Tesla API. Not sure if you actually need to turn on real time tracking in the map - seems to update irrespective.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
Covered over 300 miles today, Hemel Hempstead to Paris, and comfortably out-performed ABRP's energy and travel time predictions, which is pleasing. Same with the car's energy at destination prediction. Left home with 100%, 1 hour charge at Folkestone while waiting to board the Shuttle - had lunch - then 1 hour charge at Amiens (dinner) arrived at hotel with 42% remaining. V.Happy. Apart from being chilly outside, dry roads and not much wind helped.

Reactions: webbah
I would always leave the reference consumption Wh/Mi @ 65 unless I knew my consumption was going to be a lot higher (head winds, really cold weather, snow/rain).

I would change the reference speed % like the OP was doing to approximately what I would be traveling. This is the % that is multiplied by the speed limit to gauge your own speed reference. It doesn't help to use only 105% if you are not expecting to go only 5% over. Use the percent to get close to your planned speed and it will calculate your consumption accordingly.

Max speed I think is only useful if the speed limit is higher than your planned speeds across the route, so you don't want it thinking you will be going faster than you really will as it calculates the plan.

ABRP goes a good job finding the most efficient routing, vs. the Tesla nav or even Waze trying to find the fastest route. It also factors in the elevation changes pretty well.

If you run it on the Tesla browser during the trip, it will continue to update the planned vs. actual. So far, I've gotten it to work out pretty close and if anything, ABRP tends to be slightly conservative.

I've been setting the reference speed % to 110% and then limiting my speed to 80 MPH. The idea is that at posted speeds of 55 or 65 mph I can afford to go a little faster and not sacrifice too much in battery consumption. By the time I get to 80 though I don't want to sacrifice consumption by adding another 10%.

It’s a setting for fine tuning. In my example I’ve done extensive mods. Most reduce weight, but I also travel with my battery compressor, cleaning stuff, the dog, etc. I reduced weight from default by replacing my 12v battery with an Ohmmu (reduces ~15lbs from the front) and lighter forged wheels, etc. So I tune this setting accordingly as best I can. Just play with it and on drives pull up the Tesla Energy graph and put it on “trip” while navigating to the next waypoint in ABRP.

You definitely should login to ABRP with the Tesla browser and also login to both ABRP and with your Tesla login to give ABRP the current information for planning. You also will then have a button to “send to Tesla NAV” in the top right for navigating to each waypoint on your trip like charging stops, etc. Compare ABRP’s estimate to the Tesla Energy graph in trip mode. Mine is spot on with advanced ABRP settings.

I haven't been able to login to ABRP on the TSLA browser. It just keeps telling me that my email or login is incorrect. I've reset my ABRP password and it works on my lap top and the app, just not in the TSLA browser. Any ideas?