Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABRP Planning with Roof Cargo Box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've used A Better Route Planner for a similar trip, but it was in the fall with no roof rack/box. Now I have a roof rack, a box, winter wheels (though the rims are 10 lbs lighter now) and it will be colder.

I was trying to plan a new route, but how can I adjust based on these new things? I'm guessing it's Reference Consumption. What would be a realistic number to set there?

Lighter wheels might help in conditions where you frequently accelerate, and don't use regen well. They can't help in steady state cruising because it is acceleration events are where they might save energy.
They might actually hurt long distance high speed range if the aerodynamics of them are worse, which they probably are.

I would grossly overstate the weight which again really only matters for acceleration but you meed to use whatever you can to make the software raise consumption calculations, and I would overstate interior temp and push outside temp down.

Navigation will get a feel for things in the first 30miles or so and be accurate to the actual load after that.

• Informative
Reactions: noshadow
I've used A Better Route Planner for a similar trip, but it was in the fall with no roof rack/box. Now I have a roof rack, a box, winter wheels (though the rims are 10 lbs lighter now) and it will be colder.

I was trying to plan a new route, but how can I adjust based on these new things? I'm guessing it's Reference Consumption. What would be a realistic number to set there?

“Colder” can be input into the settings for Road Conditions > Temperature

Roofrack? Not sure where in the settings, but perhaps another option (aside from Reference Consumption) is increasing the assumed “headwinds” under Road Conditions > Wind (headwinds). Just a guess.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: SSedan and noshadow