Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABRP Prices update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, so I was planning a road trip from SOCAL to Nocal in my 3, and I noticed that ABRP does not have the recently updates Tesla supercharging prices. If you don't know, Tesla recently jacked up supercharging to at least 35 cents a kWh all over CA(except the time of use ones). How does one go about updating ABRP's calculation, as I want to see if it is more economical to take the Tesla or my gas powered car(lol).

Hey guys, so I was planning a road trip from SOCAL to Nocal in my 3, and I noticed that ABRP does not have the recently updates Tesla supercharging prices. If you don't know, Tesla recently jacked up supercharging to at least 35 cents a kWh all over CA(except the time of use ones). How does one go about updating ABRP's calculation, as I want to see if it is more economical to take the Tesla or my gas powered car(lol).
Even if supercharging is the same price as filling up a gasoline car, would you rather give that let's say 30 dollars to Tesla or oil companies? Do you want Tesla to use your 30 dollars to accelerate the world to sustainable energy?

Let alone the air pollution and CO2 it generate with gasoline car.

Even if supercharging is the same price as filling up a gasoline car, would you rather give that let's say 30 dollars to Tesla or oil companies? Do you want Tesla to use your 30 dollars to accelerate the world to sustainable energy?

Let alone the air pollution and CO2 it generate with gasoline car.
It almost doesn't really matter as well, California's electricity production isn't all renewable energy. Its like this picture.

Attachments

• DODmHqeWkAE1Vfd.jpg
    DODmHqeWkAE1Vfd.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 151
Yeah, even at 35 cents/Kwh it's is more economical than using a gas car.

https://teslanomics.co/tesla-supercharger-rate-calculator/
I dont know, ig guess it just depends on the car since my car gets a much better mpg. If I was going on this road trip for fun, I would take the Tesla easy. But I just want to use the more economical one, since its a longer road trip. Also does anyone know why Tesla increased supercharging prices by so much?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 1.25.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 1.25.30 PM.png
    196.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
It almost doesn't really matter as well, California's electricity production isn't all renewable energy. Its like this picture.
Elon has stated before, even when electricity production is 100% produced by coal, driving an electric car would still minimize the CO2 impact because electric car is much more efficient. EV has the equivalent of 120 to 150 miles per gallon, while gasoline car is at 40 miles per gallon at best. So if you drive let's say 1000 miles in your road trip, your overall CO2 impact with EV is still significantly lower, even when electricity is 100% from coal.

To backup my claim with math:
Go on: Teslike.com, you can see that the car is about 80% efficient when driving at 80 mph. LR AWD drives 254 actual miles when charged to full.
Since the battery is 75 kWh, it costs $26.25 to charge to full.

For an Accord, rated at 38 mpg freeway speed, suppose its 35 mpg in real world.
The Costco near me is $2.8/gallon right now, but on average $3/gallon.
That means, for an Accord to drive 254 miles, it costs 254 / 35 * $3 = $21.77

$21.77 < $26.25

• Helpful
Reactions: Fadiawesome
I dont know, ig guess it just depends on the car since my car gets a much better mpg. If I was going on this road trip for fun, I would take the Tesla easy. But I just want to use the more economical one, since its a longer road trip. Also does anyone know why Tesla increased supercharging prices by so much?

What MPG are you putting into that calculator?

To backup my claim with math:
Go on: Teslike.com, you can see that the car is about 80% efficient when driving at 80 mph. LR AWD drives 254 actual miles when charged to full.
Since the battery is 75 kWh, it costs $26.25 to charge to full.

For an Accord, rated at 38 mpg freeway speed, suppose its 35 mpg in real world.
The Costco near me is $2.8/gallon right now, but on average $3/gallon.
That means, for an Accord to drive 254 miles, it costs 254 / 35 * $3 = $21.77

$21.77 < $26.25

That accord isnt getting 38 MPG at 80 MPH either.

Do you have any info on the price increase? All my searching pulls up is an increase to Supercharging in Australia.

I live in California, my local superchargers haven't changed in price.
I just looked at the Tesla screen and every supercharger I saw spread out over California, except the time of use ones, was above 35 cents. I don't know why they haven't come up with an article on this. I dont know I guess whenever you have time just check out the other superchargers across California on your Tesla screen.

Reactions: mlkmade
Elon has stated before, even when electricity production is 100% produced by coal, driving an electric car would still minimize the CO2 impact because electric car is much more efficient. EV has the equivalent of 120 to 150 miles per gallon, while gasoline car is at 40 miles per gallon at best. So if you drive let's say 1000 miles in your road trip, your overall CO2 impact with EV is still significantly lower, even when electricity is 100% from coal.
I guess that does make sense. I always just thought it was hypocritical to claim ev's are cleaner than gas when they are way more environmentally unclean to produce. But I guess your right, in the fact the more you drive, the less you pollute compared to a gas engine. THnx.

Reactions: ggnykk