Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABRP question:. Limit Supercharger stop time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning a trip on ABRP & shows me 3 SC stops with varying length of time for charging.

I am good with 3 stops but want to limit them to 15 mins each.

Currently I think I can only go into each stop in the ABRP app & limit those stops to 15 mins stop by stop.

I want to tell ABRP to limit SC stops to 15 mins each & let it calculate from end-2-end.

Is there anyway to do this?

Not sure I understand your reasoning. If ABRP says to stop (charge) for 20 min each and you limit the stop to 15 min then you won't have enough charge to match your target charge remaining at destination at the next charger. Worst case is you run down to 0% charge before reaching the charger.

ABRP does add 5 minutes per stop to account for parking and starting and stopping the charging. You can reduce that if you would like, and if you can do better.

You can adjust your desired charge remaining at each stop to something lower if you would like to lower your safety margin and make the trip a little quicker. I use 15%, but 10% would work OK most of the time.

Otherwise ABRP is just calculating the kWh's you need to reach the next planned charger with the user specified remaining charge at the next charger. That will require a specific charging time, which ABRP is telling you.

The one key fact that makes charging different than filling with gas is that charging is slower the more charge the battery is already holding. So your fastest trip is accomplished by reaching each charger with the minimum charge you are comfortable with (although below 10% may slow things down as well). In general you don't want to charge above 70% unless you have to, since that can be comparatively slow. However if you are not ready to resume your trip when the car is ready (like for dinner), just let it charge until you are ready. ABRP takes all that into account and picks out the charging stops and charge times that minimize your total trip time. Trust it!

ETA: The car will tell you when it is ready to go if you enter the next ABRP charge stop into the nav. I never actually follow the ABRP charge times. I let the car handle that. However, ABRP times will be very close.

Planning a trip on ABRP & shows me 3 SC stops with varying length of time for charging.

I am good with 3 stops but want to limit them to 15 mins each.

Currently I think I can only go into each stop in the ABRP app & limit those stops to 15 mins stop by stop.

I want to tell ABRP to limit SC stops to 15 mins each & let it calculate from end-2-end.

Is there anyway to do this?
Not that I know. Your method of manually inputting 15mins at each stop seems to be the only way.

Reactions: VQTRVA
Not sure I understand your reasoning. If ABRP says to stop (charge) for 20 min each and you limit the stop to 15 min then you won't have enough charge to match your target charge remaining at destination at the next charger. Worst case is you run down to 0% charge before reaching the charger.

ABRP does add 5 minutes per stop to account for parking and starting and stopping the charging. You can reduce that if you would like, and if you can do better.

You can adjust your desired charge remaining at each stop to something lower if you would like to lower your safety margin and make the trip a little quicker. I use 15%, but 10% would work OK most of the time.

Otherwise ABRP is just calculating the kWh's you need to reach the next planned charger with the user specified remaining charge at the next charger. That will require a specific charging time, which ABRP is telling you.

The one key fact that makes charging different than filling with gas is that charging is slower the more charge the battery is already holding. So your fastest trip is accomplished by reaching each charger with the minimum charge you are comfortable with (although below 10% may slow things down as well). In general you don't want to charge above 70% unless you have to, since that can be comparatively slow. However if you are not ready to resume your trip when the car is ready (like for dinner), just let it charge until you are ready. ABRP takes all that into account and picks out the charging stops and charge times that minimize your total trip time. Trust it!

ETA: The car will tell you when it is ready to go if you enter the next ABRP charge stop into the nav. I never actually follow the ABRP charge times. I let the car handle that. However, ABRP times will be very close.
You're right I haven't quite come to a conclusion yet on what the ramifications are by limiting each stop to 15 mins.

That said, I am still trying to see what to trust -the car's nav vs. ABRP- & how each come to their conclusion.
Obviously, I am using ABRP to plan things out & the nav to correlate.

I put in the same trip in the car's nav & get much different scenario: longer SC time & superchargers further apart.

If we assume you don't change your speed or consumption conditions, the trip will require the same amount of energy whatever the scenario. If your trip is short enough, limiting the time at a stop means you need to start with more charge at the beginning to compensate. If your trip is very long that strategy won't be enough and you'll eventually need to stop for longer or stop more often.
There is a slider in ABRP to choose a point somewhere between less longer stops and more shorter stops. You should try playing with that slider instead. Note that this only works if you're in an area where there are really plenty of chargers otherwise you'll need to stop where the chargers are.

In my case, ABRP (when using the advanced settings are configuring everything to represent the current conditions) has been very precise, whereas the car's navigation has always been optimistic by 5-10% SOC. Depends how you drive, which tires you have on the car etc, as some people report the car navigation to be spot on.

Reactions: Lindenwood
You're right I haven't quite come to a conclusion yet on what the ramifications are by limiting each stop to 15 mins.

That said, I am still trying to see what to trust -the car's nav vs. ABRP- & how each come to their conclusion.
Obviously, I am using ABRP to plan things out & the nav to correlate.

I put in the same trip in the car's nav & get much different scenario: longer SC time & superchargers further apart.
Well, the algorithm is balancing supercharger speed with driving, amongst other factors, so when it starts to taper, the best strategy is to be driving as long as you have enough charge to make it to the next stop.

If you have 3 stops totaling 45mins, it doesn't mean you can apportion 45mins of charging, any way you like. The algorithm is doing it in as efficient manner as possible, to minimize trip time. You're doing it for convenience.

Having said that, if ABRP recs stopping for 7mins at your first stop, but that's too short for you to use the toilet, get a coffee, and check your phone, you can of course, stop longer, say 15mins. That will reduce the time for your next stop, but since it's less efficient, your overall charging time will be longer. Just stop longer if you like, and ABRP will adjust, dynamically.

Yes, because the "Beta Trip Planner" that the car's navigation uses is programmed with a different goal/priority than ABRP has. ABRP is made for quickest travel time. The car's trip planner is set for fewest number of stops, so it's trying to fill up extra full (slower) to try to skip over Superchargers. That's generally not a very efficient way to go, so I tend to not let it pick all of my stops and just hop from one Supercharger to another, like ABRP's recommendations would be anyway.

Reactions: VQTRVA
Well, the algorithm is balancing supercharger speed with driving, amongst other factors, so when it starts to taper, the best strategy is to be driving as long as you have enough charge to make it to the next stop.

If you have 3 stops totaling 45mins, it doesn't mean you can apportion 45mins of charging, any way you like. The algorithm is doing it in as efficient manner as possible, to minimize trip time. You're doing it for convenience.

Having said that, if ABRP recs stopping for 7mins at your first stop, but that's too short for you to use the toilet, get a coffee, and check your phone, you can of course, stop longer, say 15mins. That will reduce the time for your next stop, but since it's less efficient, your overall charging time will be longer. Just stop longer if you like, and ABRP will adjust, dynamically.

Yes, because the "Beta Trip Planner" that the car's navigation uses is programmed with a different goal/priority than ABRP has. ABRP is made for quickest travel time. The car's trip planner is set for fewest number of stops, so it's trying to fill up extra full (slower) to try to skip over Superchargers. That's generally not a very efficient way to go, so I tend to not let it pick all of my stops and just hop from one Supercharger to another, like ABRP's recommendations would be anyway.

Appreciate your feedback gentlemen.

For the first time I did the ABRP routes per their script by entering the SC stops manually into the GPS & it was both educational, fun & of course very efficient.

The time just flew by on my last 1k miles trip.

Question: has there ever been a time comp done between the ABRP method vs. Tesla GPS vs. straight gas driving?

Reactions: Lindenwood
Appreciate your feedback gentlemen.

For the first time I did the ABRP routes per their script by entering the SC stops manually into the GPS & it was both educational, fun & of course very efficient.

The time just flew by on my last 1k miles trip.

Question: has there ever been a time comp done between the ABRP method vs. Tesla GPS vs. straight gas driving?
Maybe, perhaps the Norwegian guy on Youtube has done it.

I mean, it's pretty obvious the Tesla navigator is time inefficient, the first time you use it, seeing as it optimizes for fewest stops. You can test that strategy out in ABRP, and see how much longer a trip takes. Shockingly slower.

As for how it compares to driving your gas car, it really depends upon HOW you drove your gas car, specifically, what's your routine leg between stops and how long do you stop. For the average human, a couple hours between stops is normal; where a toilet break and a drink/snack purchase takes 10 to 15mins. A meal can take 20 to 30mins. If you do that, then you may find supercharging adds no time, since your typical supercharger stop, optimized for fastest trips, is between 15 and 20mins. If however, you are superhuman and like to drive 300+ miles between toilet stops, then a gas/diesel vehicle is going to do that faster.

I have a regular route I've driven to Boston since I was a boy, and my parents used to do it, 360miles roundtrip, and it takes no more time in my Tesla, since we always made the same 2 stops on the road for 10 to 15mins. I still make the same 2 stops for the same time, but now plug into a supercharger. In fact it takes less time since I don't make a special stop for gas before the trip.