Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABRP radically underestimates cost to charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just completed my first road trip (800 miles). I was very pleased with how easy it was to get charged. I did not find the EV an inconvenience or to as much trip time as I expected.

However, the charging cost was much greater than expected. The actual supercharger cost was 3 times the estimate from ABRP. For example, at the first stop ABRP said the cost for 26.7kWh would be $3.17, but the actual charge was $9.08.

I used the default settings in ABRP for the model Y and only used Superchargers.

Is there any way to get more accurate cost estimates with ABRP?
I thought that when you use the Tesla map in the car and you click on the supercharger icon it gives you directions to the charger and also the charging cost per KWh. I just returned from Pigeon Forge, TN and the charging rate at that charger was for 12 cents on level 2. I'm still on my free 1,000 miles free so don't know the actual cost I payed there.

Ok, I get your position that there can be many chargers in a relatively small area with different rates. However, are you REALLY going to decide on a specific SC based on electricity rate? I doubt that you are. Overwhelmingly, SC stops are based on vehicle need, convenience, nearby amenities, etc.
Same like gas stations. Some people research the lowest gas prices and go out of their way to fuel the car and others just buy gas on their way.

Reactions: AlexHung
I thought that when you use the Tesla map in the car and you click on the supercharger icon it gives you directions to the charger and also the charging cost per KWh.
Yes, and that's what he said. The info in Tesla's cars is accurate. This whole thread topic is about the cost estimates from A Better Route Planner, which is an unaffiliated 3rd party tool, which does not have accurate cost listings.

Yes, and that's what he said. The info in Tesla's cars is accurate. This whole thread topic is about the cost estimates from A Better Route Planner, which is an unaffiliated 3rd party tool, which does not have accurate cost listings.
In A Better Route Planner (ABRP) there is a slider that allows you to choose between quickest arrival, fewer stops or longer legs. I can see a similar setting to choose between quickest arrival or minimize charging cost or a balance of the two. Of course ABRP would have to have accurate charging costs for each charger for this to work. Future CCS charging for Tesla’s will make this a valuable feature.

And minimizing charging costs would not require “getting bent out of shape” as some have suggested. You’d just enter your starting point and destination and ABRP would optimize your trip based on what’s important to you.

Either way it’s cheaper than gas. I’m not going to get all bent out of shape that I could have saved $0.03 per kWh if I went to the supercharger across town instead of the one on the way.
For one stop, who cares, but for road trips "cheaper than gas" is not accurate. For Thanksgiving I just completed a round trip between Texas and Pennsylvania & averaged a little over 10 miles per dollar for the trip (25 stops for charging). Many ICE cars would have been cheaper. Also, the cost was well over twice the ABRP estimate. The bottom line for me is that Superchargers equal Gas and home charging blows away either by far. When competitive chargers begin to pop up, you can bet there will be apps for locating the cheapest charge in an area just like there are today for gas stations. Some will use them, some won't.

For one stop, who cares, but for road trips "cheaper than gas" is not accurate. For Thanksgiving I just completed a round trip between Texas and Pennsylvania & averaged a little over 10 miles per dollar for the trip (25 stops for charging). Many ICE cars would have been cheaper. Also, the cost was well over twice the ABRP estimate. The bottom line for me is that Superchargers equal Gas and home charging blows away either by far. When competitive chargers begin to pop up, you can bet there will be apps for locating the cheapest charge in an area just like there are today for gas stations. Some will use them, some won't.
It all depends on your gas car and prices :)

Here in CA compared to my previous ICE car supercharging at peak rates is just SLIGHTLY lower than superchargers