Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABRP weird routing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2020
Arkansas
Do you guys ever get weird routes from ABRP? In this example I was checking what a route would be with a Model 3 SR. It seems to skip Superchargers that would be obvious benefits on a straight path, and then go wildly out of its way to charge at locations that aren't even on the direct path while skipping perfectly good locations that would be a direct path.

ABRP_OddRoute_COtoAR_2021-02-10.PNG

I've also noticed on a regular occurrence that ABRP will change the route if all I do is go "BACK" and click to build the route again. In fact it just did it.

ABRP_OddRoute_COtoAR_2021-02-10b.PNG

It seems very often I have to do some manual Supercharger selection in order to get it to go the actual best route. And even in the second example above, which is showing 22 hours 46 minutes (shiza ...) if I add in some of the intermediary locations that is has skipped the time will come way down.

ABRP_OddRoute_COtoAR_2021-02-10c.PNG

This route plan brings it down to 18 hours 27 minutes. FOUR HOURS and TWENTY MINUTES faster. That's almost as fast as in my Model Y LR.

Are other people seeing this kind of weird behavior or is my ABRP account somehow jacked up?

I would say at least half the time I build a route in ABRP, the first route it gives is terrible. As if it just doesn’t know that half the super chargers exist.It will always have some sort of absurd speed restriction. If I clear that route and have it build again, it’s worked every time.

What would you do when the NAV tell you to reach your destination with (minus) -49% ?

20200318_181030-jpg.557963

Someone on Google+ (yes it was dark days) argued with me one time that they wanted solar panels on their car to increase its range. I told them there wasn't enough surface area or daylight in the day to add more than 10 miles if they were very lucky. They didn't care.

It would be nice if the Tesla NAV could be told to recommend additional charging locations, such as CHAdeMO and even L2 spots. As far as I know it won't even use Tesla Destination chargers as options unless they are selected as the destination.

Someone on Google+ (yes it was dark days) argued with me one time that they wanted solar panels on their car to increase its range.
I told them there wasn't enough surface area or daylight in the day to add more than 10 miles if they were very lucky. They didn't care.
Well, you are right, however .... Aptera Announces A 1,000-Mile Range 'Never Charge' Solar EV (But We Should Explain This A Bit)

ccjbp3z3skhrdeidll9a.png

So, if you look at one of the sun-coverage areas in the middle, like where I live, they’re claiming I could expect a maximum of 36.4 miles per day, a minimum of 12.6 miles, and an average of 26.15 miles per day of solar charging.

Now, what’s not specified is what a “day” is — are we talking 12 straight hours of full sunlight on a perfectly clean solar panel? My guess is yes, this chart is about ideal conditions, and reality will likely be much less.

You’d have to move the car multiple times to keep it in full sun all day, for example, assuming you find a parking place that’s not shaded to start.

Personally, I think I’d look at a number just below the minimum for a more realistic number, something that factors in the messy entropy of the real world.
That’s why I’d expect maybe 10 miles a day of range from the solar setup where I am,
maybe 15 to 20 in a California summer?

It would be nice if the Tesla NAV could be told to recommend additional charging locations, such as CHAdeMO and even L2 spots. As far as I know it won't even use Tesla Destination chargers as options unless they are selected as the destination.
If you click on the Lightning icon on the console display, you will get a list of Destination Chargers, L2 chargers, and Superchargers.

Last edited:
Is there a better option than ABRP? I see dumb stuff like this too, but don’t know of a better option.
Yes. I don't really like the interface of ABRP.
I like EV Trip Planner as an alternative to ABRP.
I use EV Trip Planner. Also, the user-maintained map at www.supercharge.info can do routing plans as well. I'm not sure what method or engine it uses, and it doesn't have nearly the detail as the others, but it can at least find a basic route for you.

Reactions: LoudMusic