Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABS and Regenetive Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dutchie

Jun 9, 2013
Canada
Just had a scary situation. We are having our first major snowfall in the Lower Mainland at the moment and I was driving my wife to work. Going to her work we need to go down a little hill. A lifted my foot and regenetive braking kicks in.
However, having it on "standard" it kicks in hard and on the snowy surface it started blocking all four wheels, whereby I lost momentarily control of the car. I saw the curb coming at me and luckily I just avoided hitting the curb.

I thought ABS would kick in also while regenetive braking without hitting the brake, apparently, that is not the case.

After this scary situation I set the regenetive braking to "low" and the remainder of the trip went OK. I looked in the manual and could not see anything about regenetive braking and ABS. Only that ABS kicks in when you hit braking pedal. So just a tip. When it snows, put regenetive braking on Low

I see your confusion. Regenerative braking has nothing to do with the braking system of the car.

California company, so you might want to rely on people's experiences in your local area for warnings. There are numerous threads on TMC about this, and a class action lawsuit, I think...

I see your confusion. Regenerative braking has nothing to do with the braking system of the car.

California company, so you might want to rely on people's experiences in your local area for warnings. There are numerous threads on TMC about this, and a class action lawsuit, I think...

I found the threads now! That's what happens when you search with a spelling error (regenetive versus regenerative)

It is strange that issue is known, but that there are still no warning signs in the manual.

Reactions: BerTX