TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

ABS, stability, regen and more disabled

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by steilkurve, Aug 17, 2019.

1. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Hello all.

About 3 weeks ago, errors started showing up on my 2017 X100D.

They first appeared as I was backing into my garage. It was first just Park Assist Unavailable but later ABS, regenerative braking, emergency braking, autopilot/convenience features, stability control and traction control disabled alerts got added to the list. Leaving the car for a while after I parked would make the issue go away.

Left on a 5-day road trip recently and the errors showed up again 2 hours into it. Pulled over and tried powering off the car. Errors remained. Called support who made me try soft reboots and powering off from the menu to no avail. They said the car was still driveable and to have it looked at when possible so I continued on. I got a firmware update during my trip (28.3) and it made the errors go away. However, they came back after a short drive and now won’t go away at all.

At any rate, I’m now back home after a 600-mile journey and drove with the alerts present as support advised the car was ok to drive. It made it a little less fun but I’m pleasantly surprised it didn’t disable the car completely as I was in a fairly remote area. As I await my mobile service appointment in a couple of weeks, I’m trying to pinpoint the cause. I understand others have had similar issues and got either a wheel sensor or steering column module replacement but I wonder:

1) Could the brake controller for a travel trailer be the cause of this? It was installed as advised by Tesla meaning connected into the connector service pulled out for me in the footwell area. Note the issues happen even with the brake controller removed and not towing (which I wasn’t on this last road trip). And the controller I’m using is used by others on TMC with no worries from what I gather.

2) Could it be firmware-related. An update made it go away but it came back. Should I consider a factory reset?

3) Anything to read into the errors happening initially only when backing up the car? Sensor/hardware related?

4) When I power off the car from the service menu, applying the brakes doesn’t wake it up. I have to open the door. Does that point to another issue?

5) Have others been successful at solving this without a service appointment. If so, how?

I fully realize I may have to wait until my appointment to fix this but I am asking in case the collective wisdom can help here!

Thanks in advance. Any thoughts welcome.

Attached Files:

2. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

#2 steilkurve, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Well, it appears I have found the culprit. Reading other posts, some had an issue where the wheel sensor cable was rubbing against the wheel. Inspected my wheels and noticed the right wheel sensor cable detached from its latch and rubbed against the wheel and got worn out to the copper. Had my car inspected for vibrations recently And wheels were taken off. I can only assume that’s where it accidentally got detached.

I will try and temporarily repair the cable, hoping the sensor itself didn’t get fried by this all. Will report back.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  3. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Even though it looks like I’m mostly responding to own posts, I’ll still go ahead and provide the conclusion to the story in case it helps someone. ;-)

So I successfully repaired. Had to splice one of the two strands in the cable as it was completely severed.

I also noticed that the rubber piece that latches the cable to the wheel was absent. I assume it was forgotten to put it back when my wheel was disassembled to replace the half shafts. That’s likely what caused the cable to rub like that or that’s my theory.

Any way, I spliced the strand and taped the whole cable back together and used a tie wrap to secure the cable to the wheel. Should do until I visit the SC.

Errors are now gone.

See attached photos of repair.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

That looks nice, but out of curiosity, if it is a 2017, I assume it is still under warranty. How come the service center didn't fix it?

5. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

I’m sure they will. Earliest I could get in is 2 weeks from now. This temporary fix just allows me to operate the car normally until then.

• Helpful x 1
  6. akim88107

akim88107 Member

Hi i had exactly the same problem after driving in the mountains. However my observation. I also had a Tesla Service before this problem. So it looks that the service technicians forget to put the cord back into its place then it causes the damage of the cable in a short time after the service visit.

7. akim88107

akim88107 Member

on the other wheel the cable came off (or was not put by the service team back on its place) from the holders but was not damaged so i put it back.

8. akim88107

akim88107 Member

i also noted some other damage, not related to the service messages such as lower control arm bushing crack.
    let me know how you resolved it.
    was it covered by warranty or it is considered normal tear and wear.

Attached Files:

9. akim88107

akim88107 Member

assumption 2: maybe when driving in the mountains with suspension on high settings the ABS cables are coming off and then getting damaged. More specifically serpentine roads with sharp curves and high elevations.

10. DocX

DocX New Member

Aim88107, thanks for your post and pics. I had 6 error messages relating to the wheel speed sensor. I checked the right side and found that it had come loose from the bracket and contacted the tire. I spliced soldered and re attached the wire to the bracket with cable ties. Everything works fine and I saved myself a two hour trip to the service center.