Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABS, stability, regen and more disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ran into similar problem this morning on my '16 P90D.

Winter time in Minnesota is not a great time to be w/o Stability, ABS, Regen, etc. Will have to get around and look to see if I can find a similar issue, as the earliest appointment I could get in the app was 12/27...which is nearly two weeks out.

My issue disappeared, reappeared, then disappeared before my SC visit today.

They found that the sensor wire was getting rubbed by my new winter tires/wheels. I recently put on 19" Nokians, and I guess they are a bit large/wide. The left side sensor was damaged, but the right side had actually popped out of the clamp and was unharmed. They re-ran the sensor wires and bent the bracket a bit so it shouldn't happen again. That's likely what I would have done myself if I had the chance to get around to it.

$118 out the door. An unbelievably low price, IMO.

All the same errors for me popped in after an ice storm, but I checked the ABS sensors and they all look fine! No nicks or scrapes, just a little dirt but otherwise they look fine. I was actually hoping there would be some visible damage just to make it an easy fix, but I'm not that lucky unfortunately.
I wish the error would indicate the root cause for all the errors, and I also wish the error would let me know which ABS sensor(s) are bad.

Hello all.

About 3 weeks ago, errors started showing up on my 2017 X100D.

They first appeared as I was backing into my garage. It was first just Park Assist Unavailable but later ABS, regenerative braking, emergency braking, autopilot/convenience features, stability control and traction control disabled alerts got added to the list. Leaving the car for a while after I parked would make the issue go away.

Left on a 5-day road trip recently and the errors showed up again 2 hours into it. Pulled over and tried powering off the car. Errors remained. Called support who made me try soft reboots and powering off from the menu to no avail. They said the car was still driveable and to have it looked at when possible so I continued on. I got a firmware update during my trip (28.3) and it made the errors go away. However, they came back after a short drive and now won’t go away at all.

At any rate, I’m now back home after a 600-mile journey and drove with the alerts present as support advised the car was ok to drive. It made it a little less fun but I’m pleasantly surprised it didn’t disable the car completely as I was in a fairly remote area. As I await my mobile service appointment in a couple of weeks, I’m trying to pinpoint the cause. I understand others have had similar issues and got either a wheel sensor or steering column module replacement but I wonder:

1) Could the brake controller for a travel trailer be the cause of this? It was installed as advised by Tesla meaning connected into the connector service pulled out for me in the footwell area. Note the issues happen even with the brake controller removed and not towing (which I wasn’t on this last road trip). And the controller I’m using is used by others on TMC with no worries from what I gather.

2) Could it be firmware-related. An update made it go away but it came back. Should I consider a factory reset?

3) Anything to read into the errors happening initially only when backing up the car? Sensor/hardware related?

4) When I power off the car from the service menu, applying the brakes doesn’t wake it up. I have to open the door. Does that point to another issue?

5) Have others been successful at solving this without a service appointment. If so, how?

I fully realize I may have to wait until my appointment to fix this but I am asking in case the collective wisdom can help here!

Thanks in advance. Any thoughts welcome.
Looks like the safety system has stopped working.