Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Absolute cheapest way to own model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one, just ONE requirement. It must be supercharger compatible, or upgradeable. The reason I ask is because I found a cheap model S, but it's the 40. Can I upgrade it to the 60 and make it supercharger compatible for less than an equivalent Model 85?

So, therefore, if price was your #1 goal, what's the cheapest model S you could possibly buy?

Unless it's a great deal, for what it's going to cost you to upgrade to a 60, you may as well just find a 60. I believe the fee to software upgrade a 40 to a 60 is still $10,000. Then you need to add supercharging on top of that if it doesn't already have it.

How cheap is cheap? 85's can now be had for low 50's with just the slightest amount of patience.

I think someone mentioned that they saw one car selling for that price and I'm sure it was snatched up quick. I don't think there's any kind of precedent for that price though. I still get craigslist feeds for every Model S listed in the country and I haven't seen one even approaching the 30's in general. About the lowest you'll see is $45,000 for a 40kwh, maybe a 60kwh.

The problem is nobody is broaching those lower price points. That means we're either starting to see a floor on the value of the cars or people are just delusional with their prices. I think it's a mix of both. I don't think the S85s are going to get much cheaper and I think that 40/ 60kwh sellers are generally delusional with their asking prices. :)

I have a 40, and the upgrade to 60 with supercharging is $13500 (as of last week). Considering the large portion of the population that wishes they could have a Model S, but can't afford one, the price floor is relatively firm on used low end models. That includes a great deal of people who don't need more range or supercharging. Add to the the pricing disparity between Tesla's CPO program and the private market, I could sell my car privately and buy a CPO 85 for about the same price as upgrading my 40 to a 60 with supercharging.

I would have to sell it for $42k to buy this lovely example for the same cost as upgrading to a lesser battery (which is already in the car): 85 kWh Model S P17475 | Tesla Motors

Anyways, that was just a thought exercise because I was surprised Tesla hadn't budged on the upgrade price. It looks like the price difference between similar vintage 60s and 85s is almost indistinguishable in the CPO site, but certainly less than $5k. And that gets you an extra 25kWh, not just 20. So to answer the OP's question, the 40 isn't cheaper if you want it upgraded. I would also bet we're the most stubborn of the bunch, and I know we are the fewest in number.

Yeah, I think a lot of the floor must have to do with the fact that most used Model S's come with "free gas for life" - which is definitely worth money and will hold the value up. It will be interesting to see if Tesla keeps to this promise for the original "grandfathered" owners over the coming years or if they force everyone (including the original owners who were promised free supercharging for life) eventually to a pay use model. I think if/when that comes the used values will significantly drop.

I am also guessing that there are going to be sweet lease buyout incentives 3 years from now from Tesla as much as $10-$15K to owners just going on lease today because I don't think these floors will hold forever, and I wouldn't be surprised to real world resale significantly drop.

This is basically what I'm seeing; the floor is $50K. No way around it. That's workable. Thank you all for your responses.

Now, new requirement... maybe. Do all models retroactively have have the "infinity mile" warranty?

FWIW Tesla quoted me a trade in value of $49K for my Model S. Perfect shape, 20 months old, but high miles (54K). So you could easily do 50K if you shop around and get a really good Model S with SC ability. Just have to find a good used one probable via private sale (and no, I won't be parting with mine )

I'm pretty sure it's all model S's. Unless I'm reading this wrong, Here's what Elon says, on the blog:

The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. There is also no limit on the number of owners during the warranty period.

Infinite Mile Warranty | Tesla Motors

Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced. In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program.