Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Absolute maximum charging rate observed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back when 120 kw superchargers were rolled out there were isolated reports of vehicles charging at or above 120 kw. However, the most I'm able to get currently is 116 kw.

Has anyone recently (past few months) observed a rate higher than 116 kw? What's your model and firmware version?

What will be needed to achieve 350 kw as hinted by Elon recently? IMO, a very significant change in pack architecture or cell chemistry and unlikely in the near future. I doubt a 100D could sustain 350 kw for any more than a few seconds.

Went from San Diego to Atlanta over Thanksgiving and never got over 100kW. Typically started around 95kW and, as it approached full charge, would go down to around 35-40kW. Model S60 purchased in September.

The 60 refresh has a slower max charging rate compared to the original 60 (105 kW) but it sustains 90 kW until later in the charge cycle. It appears this is because the newer cells generate less heat, but I'm skeptical about this until someone shows me battery temp logged during a supercharge session.

Back when 120 kw superchargers were rolled out there were isolated reports of vehicles charging at or above 120 kw. However, the most I'm able to get currently is 116 kw.

Has anyone recently (past few months) observed a rate higher than 116 kw? What's your model and firmware version?

What will be needed to achieve 350 kw as hinted by Elon recently? IMO, a very significant change in pack architecture or cell chemistry and unlikely in the near future. I doubt a 100D could sustain 350 kw for any more than a few seconds.

I have an S85 and the best supercharging rate I ever got was 124 kW (346A at 358V) on December 20th 2013. In the last year or two things usually tend to max out at around 116 kW. But on a recent road trip I managed to do a little better with 118 kW (322A at 367V). This was on December 22nd 2016 at the Flagstaff AZ supercharger. I was paying more attention than normal because of your observations of throttling at some locations in California. I actually got some pretty bad throttling and a hot supercharger connector at two different stalls at Harris ranch, but the rest of the charging stops (Bakersfield, Mojave, Barstow, Needles, Kingman, Flagstaff, Holbrook, Gallup, Albuquerque, Buttonwillow, and Gustine) all charged at the expected power.

I have an early 2013 S85 and a current software version (don't feel like braving the elements right now to get the exact version, but can get the exact version tomorrow if it's important). I think I stopped getting all the way to 120 kW sometime in 2014.

Reactions: apacheguy