Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Absolute vs relative speed assist settings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone explain the speed assist settings for speed limits in terms of relative vs absolute? Our delivery person could not explain it in a way that we were understanding it. I understand the absolute 10 mph over being if you go over the speed limit by 10 mph you get a warning. It's the relative 10 mph setting that I have no clue as to what to expect. Thanks.

That makes perfects sense. Thanks! I think our question to our delivery host stumped her completely and she resorted to making something up on the spot.
They can't know everything, but in life I really appreciate the person that says "I don't know" way more than the person who makes something up. Often times if I see someone struggling to answer a question I'll give them the out by saying "it's ok if you don't know the answer", that helps avoid a BS answer.

Reactions: wesley888
Overall I thought the host did a nice job with explaining everything. I was playing with settings yesterday and got to that screen again and hit the absolute button and at that point it was pretty self explanatory. If we had actually selected that setting during the walk through it would have been simple to understand. The host just recommended the relative setting and moved on until we asked about it and then gave her strange explanation to the reason.

if you go over the speed limit by 10 mph you get a warning, that's the relative. It's related to the speed limit.

For absolute, let's say you set your absolute limit to 40 mph, no matter the speed limit is 25 or 55, you will get warned at 40 mph.
This is the best explanation and example I've ever seen. I own 2 Teslas since 2019 and I never the difference unit til now. Thank-you!

if you go over the speed limit by 10 mph you get a warning, that's the relative. It's related to the speed limit.

For absolute, let's say you set your absolute limit to 40 mph, no matter the speed limit is 25 or 55, you will get warned at 40 mph.
This is the best explanation and example I've ever seen. I've owned 2 Teslas since 2019 and I never knew the difference unit now. Thank-you!