TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Abstract Ocean LED Lighting w/o Premium Pckg?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Allante, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Allante

Allante Member

Hello -- while awaiting delivery of my X (mid-October), I was exploring the idea of retrofitting interior lighting with Abstract Ocean's Ultra Bright LEDs. However, I did not order the premium package. Does anyone know if the base X (w/o the Premium Package) has LEDs or regular incandescent bulbs? Do any of you have the Abstract Oceans installed?

Thank you.

2. kazkioken

kazkioken Member

I have them installed...but I did in fact order the premium package so can't speak to what's there otherwise. They are a significant upgrade, well worth it. I did all the lights except the rear trunk lid (as described in the Teslerati article it's impossible to remove the stock one)

• Like x 1
  3. gfb107

gfb107 Member

I just installed these in my X75D without PUP. I did the frunk, trunk sidewall (wasn't able to remove the light on the hatch, and probably doesn't really help anyway), front foot wells, and front door puddle lights. 7 lights total, I have 1 left over.

I found the easiest way to remove the existing foot well lights was to wiggle & pull the liner down and then unplug and push them out rather than trying to pry/pull them out.

Without PUP, there aren't any lights under the front seats, and I couldn't figure out what to do to get the mesh out of the way to look for possible mounting spots and wiring.

• Like x 2
  4. satheesh.net

satheesh.net Member

The one on the trunk lid is seriously stuck - but I actually managed to get it out! It pretty much destroyed the LED, but since I replaced it with the new one it didn't really matter. The trick is to cover the area around with some cloth or thick paper (to make sure you don't scratch the lid itself) and pry it open with a flat screwdriver. Hard.

• Like x 1
  5. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

There is a small cover below the LED in the trunk lid. I found it helpful to remove that cover since I had more access to the LED assembly.

And I agree, you absolutely have to cover the area around the LED with protective tape because you'll scratch it trying to get it off.

The glove compartment was the next hardest LED to replace. All others were very easy.

6. gfb107

gfb107 Member

I don't have the PUP, but I do have the Lights in the grill of the FWDs. They are different than the other LEDs, so aren't upgradable with these kits.

7. Allante

Allante Member

Thanks all for your responses and advice.

Separate question -- are the license plate light bulbs LEDs or incandescent?

8. UnitaryExecutive

I really want the side door lighting that the S has at night. Will installing these get me that or is it only when the doors are open?

9. satheesh.net

satheesh.net Member

On the Model X they come with LED's.