Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abstract Ocean LED Lighting w/o Premium Pckg?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello -- while awaiting delivery of my X (mid-October), I was exploring the idea of retrofitting interior lighting with Abstract Ocean's Ultra Bright LEDs. However, I did not order the premium package. Does anyone know if the base X (w/o the Premium Package) has LEDs or regular incandescent bulbs? Do any of you have the Abstract Oceans installed?

Thank you.

I have them installed...but I did in fact order the premium package so can't speak to what's there otherwise. They are a significant upgrade, well worth it. I did all the lights except the rear trunk lid (as described in the Teslerati article it's impossible to remove the stock one)

Reactions: pete8314
I just installed these in my X75D without PUP. I did the frunk, trunk sidewall (wasn't able to remove the light on the hatch, and probably doesn't really help anyway), front foot wells, and front door puddle lights. 7 lights total, I have 1 left over.

I found the easiest way to remove the existing foot well lights was to wiggle & pull the liner down and then unplug and push them out rather than trying to pry/pull them out.

Without PUP, there aren't any lights under the front seats, and I couldn't figure out what to do to get the mesh out of the way to look for possible mounting spots and wiring.

I have them installed...but I did in fact order the premium package so can't speak to what's there otherwise. They are a significant upgrade, well worth it. I did all the lights except the rear trunk lid (as described in the Teslerati article it's impossible to remove the stock one)

The one on the trunk lid is seriously stuck - but I actually managed to get it out! It pretty much destroyed the LED, but since I replaced it with the new one it didn't really matter. The trick is to cover the area around with some cloth or thick paper (to make sure you don't scratch the lid itself) and pry it open with a flat screwdriver. Hard.

Reactions: kazkioken
There is a small cover below the LED in the trunk lid. I found it helpful to remove that cover since I had more access to the LED assembly.

And I agree, you absolutely have to cover the area around the LED with protective tape because you'll scratch it trying to get it off.

The glove compartment was the next hardest LED to replace. All others were very easy.

I'm going to do mine and I also found the wiring harness for non-PUP. Harness is tuck away in the fabric lining. There's an opening to put your fingers through to fish them out.

I'm in socal and willing to do the job.

Now I need to figure how to secure it nicely.

IMG_9645.JPG

I was kind of easy to find for me since I used a mini pipe camera. I'm sure you could find it by either reaching through the fabric opening on the sides, but the opening is pretty small. The other possiblity is inserting your fingers in the middle area (there's an opening with a thin plastic strip).

The wire is just like the wire in the frunk. I tested this out by removing my frunk light while waiting for my AO bulbs to arrive. Frunk light comes out super easy. No tools and done in like 10 secs if you want to get a feel of what the wire should be like under the seat.

drivers side - the wire is loose in the middle section. There's an opening. If not there's a plastic strip about 2-3 inches that will unhook to allow access. Reach around with your fingers and you should be able to locate. Be sure to not pull on any of the other wires just in case.

Passenger side - same thing but the wire is zip tied so you'll need to pull on the black fabric just a bit to expose the zip tie. Cut and you should ample room to work with the wire.

Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: DiamondHands
I don't have PUP. Purchased the Abstract Ocean LEDs and made a big difference, We replaced all but the rear hatch and glove box LEDs. We also added the missing LEDs under the driver and passenger seats. Thanks to LuckyX we found the connectors under the driver and passenger seats. Our MX came with light brackets so the LED snaps into place. If you slide the plastic rails (where the fabric connects) towards the center of the seat you can pull the fabric off to gain access to the wire connector.

• Informative
Reactions: matblk and jgrgnt